Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fenix LED Cree Edition Flashlight

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 02:30 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone here used one of these Cree Edition LED flashlights?
They are mighty bright.
www.fenix-store.com

I was wondering if anyone was able to compare the brightness of it to say, a Halogen system for your commuter, and what wattage your halogen was?

Old 06-15-07, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2AA Cree version strapped to my helmet. Works like a charm. In turbo mode, it feels at least as bright as my 10W Nightrider halogen. I haven't compared them directly though. The pattern is different as well. More of a center spot, but the outsides are wider and weaker but still decent to see by.

Ari
Old 06-16-07, 08:04 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got one of them too, but i am not sure how it compares to a halogen

anyone else here got any other lights to compare it to?
Old 06-16-07, 07:49 PM
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...highlight=cree
Old 06-16-07, 08:19 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey! are those any good? not the lights I am referring to
Old 06-17-07, 04:22 AM

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do any of the CR123 models work with rechargable CR123 li-ions? Looking for that 160lm range but don't want to pay for disposables.
Old 06-17-07, 09:00 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
Do any of the CR123 models work with rechargable CR123 li-ions? Looking for that 160lm range but don't want to pay for disposables.
absolutely! even those that are overvolted will work

i contacted the company directly, they can handle upto 8.4V, probably even more than that

the result is that they are brighter than alkaline non-rechargeables

smacking 160 lumens

i wonder how many of those P3D CE's will be needed to outshine a Cygolite DualCross 300?

I am wondering if two will be enough...
Old 06-17-07, 09:01 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i read how somewhere some guy said that one Fenix is about as bright as a 10W halogen
on an mtbr forum some guy said that the DualCross is about as bright as a 10W halogen...
Good bet that just two P3D CE's will be more powerful than the DualCross

but this is in the realm of supposition and speculation
Old 06-17-07, 11:47 AM
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Grun
hey! are those any good? not the lights I am referring to
Sorry man. I must not be looking close enough as they look the same to me.
Old 06-17-07, 01:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icedmocha
Sorry man. I must not be looking close enough as they look the same to me.
not the lights

those things the mochas are they any good?
Old 06-17-07, 01:47 PM
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting a Fenix light to use as helmet mounted is on my wish list (not a priority since I already have some DiNotte lights, but could see adding a Fenix when the days start getting shorter in the Fall), so I did some research. The P3D is one of the models I am interested in, and being able to use rechargeable batteries is of course important.

So anyway, I found this thread at candle power forums. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=160826

A lot of confusing discussion amongst the torch junkies, tech lingo about experimenting with odd sized batteries that the light wasn't designed for. But what I got out of the thread, is that using some variation of "volt protected" CR123 li-ions (RCR123?) is the best route. "Unprotected" rechargeable batteries can get damaged I guess, if they are drained to low.
Old 06-17-07, 01:57 PM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read somewhere (can't find it on this forum, perhaps on a flashlight site) that the way hand-held LED flashlights regulate power is different than the way bike-specific LEDs work. Are there any experts here who could speak to this?

From what I read, supposedly some handheld lights run too hot for extended use. Some of them get dimmer once they have been on for over 5-10 minutes due to heat, because they are intended for a shorter term use. The bike lights supposedly do a better job of maintaining their brightness because they regulate power for extended use

Any experts**********?
Old 06-17-07, 02:08 PM
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2
I read somewhere (can't find it on this forum, perhaps on a flashlight site) that the way hand-held LED flashlights regulate power is different than the way bike-specific LEDs work. Are there any experts here who could speak to this?

From what I read, supposedly some handheld lights run too hot for extended use. Some of them get dimmer once they have been on for over 5-10 minutes due to heat, because they are intended for a shorter term use. The bike lights supposedly do a better job of maintaining their brightness because they regulate power for extended use

Any experts**********?
Jeff, I think that's correct, I have a Maglite 3W LED flashlight that does that (still a great flashlight for ordinary uses tho, since it runs long even after dimming). However, from reading reviews, it seems the Fenix Cree models don't suffer from that problem. Check out these reviews for more info: https://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev..._led3watt2.htm
Old 06-17-07, 02:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedalMonger
Getting a Fenix light to use as helmet mounted is on my wish list (not a priority since I already have some DiNotte lights, but could see adding a Fenix when the days start getting shorter in the Fall), so I did some research. The P3D is one of the models I am interested in, and being able to use rechargeable batteries is of course important.

So anyway, I found this thread at candle power forums. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=160826

A lot of confusing discussion amongst the torch junkies, tech lingo about experimenting with odd sized batteries that the light wasn't designed for. But what I got out of the thread, is that using some variation of "volt protected" CR123 li-ions (RCR123?) is the best route. "Unprotected" rechargeable batteries can get damaged I guess, if they are drained to low.
yeah good helmet spot for it
and you may wanna try the straps of velcro

they are real cheap, you can buy them just about anywhere

one and you are set, or you can add some zip ties for added stability
Old 06-22-07, 02:45 PM

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know where one can aquire rechargeable CR123 batteries that have a protected circuit in them from being over discharged? I am thinking of getting a P3D because highway exits have hidden rght turn views where the cars rush out quick and I can't see them untell I get real close past one of the cars blocking the right turners which often leads to me swerving to avoid cars gunning out. Cagers don't see me till late as well because of the exit.

How wide is the beam on the L2D and P3D? I would like something as a spot lamp but also with a 'lightsaber' long range beam for beaming corners (ie. above hwy exits) and long range beaming of the left turn driver as I'm cranking the gears up to speed to pass the intersection.
Old 06-22-07, 04:56 PM
Hoosier runner

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.batterystation.com
www.lighthound.com
Old 06-22-07, 08:40 PM
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know where one can aquire rechargeable CR123 batteries that have a protected circuit in them from being over discharged? I am thinking of getting a P3D because highway exits have hidden rght turn views where the cars rush out quick and I can't see them untell I get real close past one of the cars blocking the right turners which often leads to me swerving to avoid cars gunning out. Cagers don't see me till late as well because of the exit.

How wide is the beam on the L2D and P3D? I would like something as a spot lamp but also with a 'lightsaber' long range beam for beaming corners (ie. above hwy exits) and long range beaming of the left turn driver as I'm cranking the gears up to speed to pass the intersection.
You could register at the candle power forums and ask about them there as well. I remember seeing a forum member there that was selling batteries and chargers, who had good prices. You could inquire about the beam as well, should get some feedback since there are so many Fenix owners there. Also you could try a post here in the Electronics and Gadgets forum, might be some non-commuters (like mountain bikers who hit the trails at night), who are using them and sometimes hang in that forum.