Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which chain cleaner?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Which chain cleaner?

Old 08-30-01, 09:56 AM
Chi-Chi Monger

Bikes: 08 Cannondale Synapse, 09 Marin Alpine Trail 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which chain cleaner?

What's out there for chain cleaning devices? Which ones work and which ones are junk?

TIA

Old 08-30-01, 10:08 AM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Simple Green. Can be had for $8-9/gal. and works just as well as any of the "made for bikes" degreasers which cost many times more.
Old 08-30-01, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for Simple Green as well. I use it straight out of the bottle and put it in my Park Chain Cleaner; spin the chain through for about a minute and then dry it with a clean rag. I don't re-lube untill the chain has dried completely (usually overnight).

The shop I work at uses Finish Line Citrus Degreaser, it works well, but costs about 3x's as much. I also really like the smell.

What lube do you use? I prefer either White Lightning or Krytech. I've begun using Pedro's Ice Wax as well, but haven't had any long term results yet. So far, so good!

L8R G8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 08-30-01, 11:32 AM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lube: White Lightening. Been using it for years and will never go back to a wet lube. Bought Ice Wax a few times when the shop was out of WL. Don't like it though, it's too thick to get in all of the nooks and crannies effectively.

I used to use Pedro's Orange Peelz for cleaning until I found SG did the same job for much less. When you are done cleaning w/ the SG, put some water in your chain cleaner and rinse the chain a few times. Dry w/ a rag, then apply lube. Keeps you from having to wait over night.
Old 08-30-01, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Bibox cleaner. It works well, but getting the gunk off some of the parts is difficult. Simple Green is the best! I use it everywhere, on my bike, in the house, on my car (yes, I do have one of those too but it sits around a lot!)
Old 08-30-01, 12:55 PM
Chi-Chi Monger

Bikes: 08 Cannondale Synapse, 09 Marin Alpine Trail 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just happen to have a gallon of simple green already It is the best isn't it!? Never used it as a degreaser before though.

I use Tri-flow for lubricant on my chain and it seems to do the job.

Thanks for the info.............................................:thumbup:
Old 08-30-01, 05:09 PM
It takes a man 2 be a dad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey RiderX. Where do you get you're Simple Green for $8-$9 a gallon? I just bought a 64 oz bottle for $7 something at Lowes.
Old 08-30-01, 07:13 PM
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can buy citrus degreaser for @ $9-$10 per gallon in your hardware store's automotive section.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 08-30-01, 08:53 PM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by heybulldog
Hey RiderX. Where do you get you're Simple Green for $8-$9 a gallon? I just bought a 64 oz bottle for $7 something at Lowes.
Home Depot. I bought the spray bottle for around $6 once when I couldn't get to the Home Depot. Now I just fill it from the gallon bottle when I want to spray something.
Old 08-31-01, 06:17 AM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sparyed my chain with EASY OFF stove degreaser and then scrubbed it with a dobie pad in soapy water and it worked real good.
Old 08-31-01, 10:07 PM
Guitar Hero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after you finish degreasing and re-lubing the chain wipe off the excess with a rag y'all need the lube in the pins and rollers,not on the outside of it,do this and the degreasing intervals are kept longer and cleaner ...
Velosophy#1: It is better to have a bicycle and no money , than money and no bicycle ! Velosophy # 2 : "Winning is simple, but not easy." #3: "Give a man a fish and he shall eat for a day , teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"