Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Specialized Hardrock S

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 06:41 AM
"I... am... speed...."

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Hardrock S

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks... so let me introduce myself and ask a question...

I have the opportunity to get a Hardrock S (I dont think it has front suspension which is fine with me for the time being) for $100... the bike appears to be well kept, but I will see it first hand today so I will get a chance to ride it and see how I fit on it. I am currently ridding a CCM POS (POS is not the official model ) which I bought about 10 years ago for $150 at some sports superstore. I've been riding every day this week... and rode 10 miles yesterday... other vitals are 5'11.5" - 330lbs... I just want something I can ride up to 25-30 miles at a stretch on maybe even 50 from time to time... is this a good buy?

I want to get street slicks for it at some point in the very near future and at that time get the rims rebuilt... also thinking about a brooks b-17 and possibly upgrading the fork to a suspension fork down the road, depending how much "off road" I do...

Last edited by Colt45; 05-13-07 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-13-07, 06:54 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome Colt45! I think that's a great price. The mtb wheels should be strong enough, the fit will be most important. You can build up to 25-30 miles though I admit the first time I did it on my mtb I was dying The strength builds up after a while, and eventually you may want to look at a road bike to put some serious time and miles in (which the mtb may not be as comfortable over longer stretches). You may not have to do anything with the wheels - if they spin true then they're probably fine (mtb wheels are much beefier than road bikes which is where the strength of some hand built wheels are needed).

Check my sig, I'm in the process of updating some of the buying links and there's a few active threads on new bikes - but for $100 I think you'll notice a nice upgrade from the department store bike. If it fits.

I would get a suspension fork after you get a roadbike. With the suspension the front will 'load' every time you really give it power, so it absorbs what you give it initially. Great if you're looking for a fustrating workout, not so much if you're trying to keep up with a group ride over 50 miles. I ride my non suspension mtb offroad with no difficulties - you'll notice a big improvement with the tires on the road. Look into getting puncture resistance tires, they'll be a bit heavier but the flats they may save you will be worth it.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 05-13-07, 07:09 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
This thread just got bumped: https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=296529

Old 05-13-07, 07:58 AM
Larger than normal Noob

Bikes: A couple Specialized pieces of equipment.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Air

For what reason does this gentlemans thread get bumped into my thread from earlier this week?

I am not getting smart, I don't understand why though?

Thank you,

-Danny

P.S. Buy the bike for the hunge, the frame is worth it to build off of. I love my Hardrock!!
Old 05-13-07, 08:17 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I didn't notice the first post date - just scaned front page threads to update my list o links. Guess 'bump' was the wrong word - but since you talked a bit about the same bike thought it would be helpful.

Old 05-13-07, 11:28 AM
"I... am... speed...."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys... been reading about the bike... and was looking for a little affirmation from complete strangers such is life on the internet!!! I am headed out shortly to get my prize
Old 05-13-07, 04:51 PM
"I... am... speed...."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got my bike... adjusted the derailurers... and put on new brake pads... 2 of them were falling apart... rode it around a little bit... now have to figure out how to program my milage computer...

thanks for all the help!
Old 05-13-07, 07:21 PM
Larger than normal Noob

Bikes: A couple Specialized pieces of equipment.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!!

Good Luck with your new ride,

Be safe,

-Danny
Old 05-13-07, 07:51 PM
"I... am... speed...."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HOLY CRAP... pardon my language... but HOLY CRAP... it's so much nicer not riding a piece of CRAP!... I felt like I was flying... I could have rode for another half hour but I had to stop because it was dark... that was FUN!

... now I have to tear the handle bar extensions (those little bars that go perpendicular to the regular straight bar on the mountain bike) off of my old CCM bike and put them on the new one... that was the only thing I didnt like so far... limited hand positions...

WOW... that was fun...

oh yeah... and its just a "specialized hardrock" the S they advertised it as, is the S on the bike for "specialized" hehe

Last edited by Colt45; 05-13-07 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-13-07, 09:03 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Haha - so glad you like it! Now git ridin'!

I had a few friends when I got my mtb that rode those...I remember thinking how expensive that $400-$600 bike was back in Junior High School. A bit jealous of them but I kept up fine with my mtb that was twice the weight. Even learned to bunny hop without the toe clips or suspension which annoyed them to no end! Ahhh...memories....