Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Breakfast?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 11:03 AM

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Breakfast?

Just wondering who eats what for breakfast before commuting. I've really never been able to eat first thing in the morning; I tend to wait an hour or so after my coffee and then have fruit, yogurt, and granola (or instant oatmeal in winter). I tried forcing it when I started riding to work, thinking I'd need the energy for the ride, but I just ended up feeling sick and sluggish.

The solution seems to be to load up on something carb-y (with protein) before bed, and run off my stored energy in the morning. I drink coffee (just one, cream & sugar) and some water before setting off, and I often pause at the 4-mile mark for a granola bar or fruit leather and some Gatorade. So far so good in terms of my energy levels for the ride and through the day, but I can't help wondering if I'm heading for a crash.... this has always worked when I'm backpacking, though.

My commute is 9 miles or so, moderate hills, and I'm not taking it tremendously fast.
Old 05-11-07, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A food thread! I love these. Gives me more ideas.

The first year or two I could not eat before riding in the morning. However, over the last 9 months I am hungry before I even wakeup. Plus, in an attempt to make my long commute more enjoyable I am more focused on fueling myself properly.

Here is a typical morning routine for me:
4am: wake up
4:15 am : eat bowl of multi grain cereal with 1% milk while waiting for tea to boil
4:30 am : finish tea (good stuff. gets you cleared out in the morning.)
5 am: start ride
6 am ish: 2 fig newtons
7 am ish: 1 bowl of oatmeal at my desk

Than I am fine till around 10 am. I tend to break the monotony by adding different fruits to my oatmeal and changing the cereal around. Occasionally I will get sick of fig newtons and swap something in like trail mix.
Old 05-11-07, 11:30 AM

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most days I eat at work. I keep a box of cereal in my desk and a half gallon of milk in the fridge. I usually eat a banana and a cup of coffee before leaving the house.

I find I have plenty of energy to get to work (8.5 miles ~35min) but if I eat before leaving then I am hungry and ready for lunch before 11am. If I wait for breakfast I can hold out to 12-12:30 and eat with coworkers.
Craig
Old 05-11-07, 11:31 AM
newbie commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wake up hungry most mornings and if I don't eat at least something, I get incredibly cranky, so I *need* to eat something when I get up. These mornings, it's peanut butter cereal with bananas (if they're available) and almond milk. For a change of pace, sometimes I'll make scrambled eggs or poached egg on an English muffin with butter and marmite (mmm-mmm). Then I ride in, have a cup of water, a cup of tea, and I'm good to go.
Old 05-11-07, 11:31 AM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Breakfast? Yes, PLEASE!! Especially if I am commuting.

I used to be unable to eat in the morning, but for the last few years I've been very hungry in mornings. And if I wait too long to eat after getting up, my stomach actually hurts, so I prefer to fill up early.

However, I see no reason to worry if things are working for you so far. I know several other commuters on this board who eat nothing or very little before their commute. Some people just can't bike on full stomachs. And you do have a snack at the four-mile mark.
Old 05-11-07, 11:33 AM
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I typically do not commute in the AM as I work in the evenings, but the few times I have commuted in the morning I have had LOTS of coffee and something light to eat like half a bagel or english muffin before the ride.
Old 05-11-07, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If I'm just riding directly to work (4 miles or so), I really don't need to eat. But 3 times a week or so I like to take the long way in; on those mornings it's much better if I eat. Usually a big bowl of oatmeal with honey, dried fruit, and skim milk. And coffee. Definitely coffee.

If I ride more than 20 on the way in, I'll usually get a muffin on the way in to the office as well.
Old 05-11-07, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't ride on an empty tank.

A banana and a cup of apple juice do the trick.

Proper breakfast consists of some fruit, a yogurt, or protein shake at work.
Old 05-11-07, 11:41 AM

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Originally Posted by chephy
I know several other commuters on this board who eat nothing or very little before their commute. Some people just can't bike on full stomachs. And you do have a snack at the four-mile mark.
I feel like less of a freak now, thanks
Old 05-11-07, 11:42 AM
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I do a bowl of whole grain cereal in the morning, wheaties, raisin bran, whatever, and make myself a peanut-butter and (jelly or cream cheese cake icing) sandwich for about 10am. By 11:30 or 12 I can eat a light lunch, snack at 2 or 3 occasionally too. I like to keep my food intake fairly light and continuous throughout the day, starting right when I wake up.
works for me.

Also, I can't run/swim/work out on a full stomach, same with bicycling. My prep time in the morning is somewhat longer than most people's... hour plus, usually less than 2, so I've not JUST eaten when i hop into the saddle.
Old 05-11-07, 11:44 AM

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vanilla yogurt and granola FTW! Add a cup of tea. If it's within a few days prior to an event I'll add some toast with jam and orange juice to that as well. I use to not be able to stomach anything in the morning but as soon as I discovered vanilla yogurt and granola I began to look forward to breakfast.
Old 05-11-07, 11:47 AM

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 'in a hurry' breakfasts are usually coffee and toast with some jam or an accompanying piece of fruit (melon, banana or apple). My 'thinking ahead' breakfast is to make a pot of overnight oatmeal; it's particularly nice for cold and/or wet commutes.

Night before -- bring two and a half cups of water to a boil in a small pot. Add half-cup of scottish oats. Add chopped dried fruit (usually apples, figs, cranberries or raisins). Stir and let boil for five minutes. Turn off heat. Cover pot.

Morning -- Turn on kettle for coffee, turn heat on pot back on to medium and while pot is reheating, grind coffee. Grab small handful of nuts (almonds, walnuts, whatever), two teaspoons of brown sugar and a dash of cinammon. Stir into oatmeal. Let kettle come to a boil. Pour boiling kettle water into french press with coffee. Taste oatmeal for heat and adjust for sweetness or cinammon.

Eat half of the oatmeal, put other half in tupperware to eat at work. Whole process in the morning should take just as long as making my coffee. You can adjust the amounts based on appetite -- the important part is the 5 to 1 ratio of water to oats.
Old 05-11-07, 11:57 AM
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that I'm less hungry when I exercise. My commute's an easy 10k. I don't do breakfast, just a coffee at work. Lunch does me fine (salad & sandwich). Though I'm thinking a nice hearty helping of fibre first thing in the day might be a better diet.
Old 05-11-07, 12:31 PM
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Banana and yogurt if I've got it. I don't eat a lot. Just enough to get me to work. I usuallly munch all day at work. I've gone on an empty stomach before with no ill effects. However, the one time I did bonk was enough to encourage me to get something in the tank.
Old 05-11-07, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I work nights and walk next door to my job, I do't do breakfst. But I'll eat cereal or a bagel if I'm riding or I'll bonk QUICK. Plus I have to keep food/juice with me just in case. Hypoglycemia is a bear!!!
Old 05-11-07, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been one to eat much breakfast either. Things don't settle well early. However, since I've started commuting on my bike I know that I need it. My solution has been to wake up earlier so that my stomach has time to adjust. I generally have a bowl of granola with some added honey, and maybe some yogurt.
Old 05-11-07, 01:56 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
Just wondering who eats what for breakfast before commuting. I've really never been able to eat first thing in the morning; I tend to wait an hour or so after my coffee and then have fruit, yogurt, and granola (or instant oatmeal in winter). I tried forcing it when I started riding to work, thinking I'd need the energy for the ride, but I just ended up feeling sick and sluggish.

The solution seems to be to load up on something carb-y (with protein) before bed, and run off my stored energy in the morning. I drink coffee (just one, cream & sugar) and some water before setting off, and I often pause at the 4-mile mark for a granola bar or fruit leather and some Gatorade. So far so good in terms of my energy levels for the ride and through the day, but I can't help wondering if I'm heading for a crash.... this has always worked when I'm backpacking, though.

My commute is 9 miles or so, moderate hills, and I'm not taking it tremendously fast.
breakfast
=======

for breakfast i eat

eggs(3) and bracon (8) with toasted bread (4)
i put butter on toasted bread (4)

and fruits one orange and one apple and (2)-(3) cup milks

full complete and gives good energy for trip to commute
Old 05-11-07, 02:33 PM

Good lord, I don't think I eat that much in a week's worth of breakfasts!

I got a good tip from a co-worker (semi-pro power lifter) about protein shakes and making sure I don't tear down muscle faster than I can build it. (I've always been underweight, with a hummingbird metabolism that resulted in frequent bonks whenever I tried exercising, but I have been slowly building up my stamina and muscle mass over the last 2 years. Fifteen pounds makes a heck of a difference, but I still don't have a lot of fuel reserves and I have a tricky appetite).
Old 05-11-07, 02:46 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I love breakfast. And protein. Lately my breakfast consisted of toasted/fried pitas and tortillas stuffed with cheese and some sort of meat. And tea with sugar and lemon. And some fruits. And maybe something sweet like a bite of chocolate to finish it all off. Yummm... and lotsa energy for the day.
Old 05-11-07, 02:54 PM
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually wake up starving and having breakfast with the family is great.

Standard breakfast is a big bowl of cereal, piece of toast, piece of fruit, and finish off whatever the boys don't eat. I wait until I get to work to have coffee because otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to stop riding.
Old 05-11-07, 03:05 PM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Elusor
breakfast
=======

for breakfast i eat

eggs(3) and bracon (8) with toasted bread (4)
i put butter on toasted bread (4)

and fruits one orange and one apple and (2)-(3) cup milks

full complete and gives good energy for trip to commute
Thats a big breakfast!
Mine usually a small ball of some cereal (no milk) with a handful of dry cranberries and 8oz of orange juice.
Old 05-11-07, 05:52 PM

Bikes: Miyata 600, Marin Larkspur, Marin Muirwoods, GT tequesta, Fuji Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lately for my 7.5 km commute

toast with light cream cheese and jam
1-2 pieces of fruit (grapefruit/orange/apple are most common)

Lots of coffee.

I have, however not found that it is at all important what I eat before this short a ride - I am equally fine if I have a comparable breakfast after the ride. Coffee is, of course, essential for sentience. For a longer commute, more fuel is required.
Old 05-11-07, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by rajman
Coffee is, of course, essential for sentience.
I find the same thing... I daren't think what would happen if I attempted to ride pre-caffeination... zombie cyclist!
Old 05-11-07, 07:36 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I eat carbs at night. When I get up, I prep my food, drop it in the bag, use the bathroom, suit up and go. My commute is 10.5 miles. When I get there I drink about a liter of water, start sucking on my Mt Dew for the morning, and eat a PB&J.
Old 05-11-07, 08:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need my breakfast, usually a bowl of cereal with fruit and a glass of OJ. Without something in me I don't think I would make to the office where my cup of coffee awaits me. I am a strong believer in this as well:

Originally Posted by rajman
Coffee is, of course, essential for sentience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.