Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a big guy?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Thanks to those who replied to me on the general discussions board... following their advice, I am restarting this thread in the clydes forum.

First off, I'm a big guy... 6' and approx 300#. I started looking at bikes last weekend with my g/f and was overwhelmed with concerns that the bikes I was looking at would not support me. I'm looking for something to ride around my complex and possibly some dirt trails. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also, Can you give me a heads up on what I can expect to spend? I would like to keep the cost down, but won't be too cheap if it means getting something that I would feel more comfortable on and would be more confident that it will support me.

Thanks alot... I got some great input already in the general discussions and am looking forward to see what everyone else here thinks.
Old 05-11-07, 07:18 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome Vince!!

Check my sig and a few of the threads on the front page, there are a few threads on bikes for big guys active right now.

Most bikes will support you - but you should spend extra for a good handbuilt wheelset.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 05-11-07, 07:23 AM
crooked member

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50 & Giant FCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say that wheels are your biggest concern when buying a bike.

I would go too your LBS and see what kind of bikes they are selling with double walled rims. Or even better you can have them build you a set at a pretty reasonable fee.

I would be safe in saying that $400 on up would get you into a good bike and then you can upgrade componates as you wear them out. I ride a Giant Canyon and it is pretty much bullet proof, but I am barely considered a clyde at 205.

Old 05-11-07, 09:02 AM
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot

Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vince.. I had your same concerns just a few months ago.. i'm 370 now and ride a 1982 Trek with 36 spokes.. i've been riding the heck out of it since its been warm.. IMO find a bike that fits you and with 36+ spokes and GO! wether it's used or new.. Schwinn or Mondone....
Old 05-11-07, 09:17 AM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All you need to worry about is wheels. No matter what you buy, look for 36 spokes if it's machine built, and if it's got 32 ask the shop to rebuild the rear wheel before delivery. That's the best advice I can give you.

FYI, I rode a Specialized Hardrock for almost 800 miles down from 420-ish to 380. Factory 36 spoke wheels have had 0 problems.

I also have a Trek 7.3FX that I started riding around the 401 range (put some pounds back on.. ) that I had constant wheel problems with. Now with a quality hand-built wheel, I've put ~45 miles on the new wheel this week with 0 problems, and they have been *HARD* miles. I wouldn't purposely try to damage it, noo, never.. .
Old 05-11-07, 03:50 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome aboard! There are several of us here who are "Uber" Clydes (300+) so you CAN ride. I personally ride a Trek 7200. I have put over 5,500 road miles on it in the past 15 months or so. My first stock spoke popped at just over 2,000 miles. Since I had the wheel hand built with DT spokes I have not had a problem. I replaced the seatpost with a Thomson after a cheap one snapped off. Other than that, the other stock components have held up nicely. The stock bike was about $600.00, A Thomson seatpost is about $80.00 ( https://smartbikeparts.com/index.php?...&cat=Seatposts ). Ask your LBS what he would charge to rebuild the wheelset with some DT spokes.
Old 05-11-07, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Giant OCR-1, and a 1996 Raleigh M60 MTB

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you have Craigslist in your area? If so I had great success last year in buying a great used bike to see what I eventually wanted to spend the big bucks on. I looked and looked, but discovered a secret to Craigslist. Ask for what you want, don't look for it. I posted "looking for a larger road bike, willing to spend 100.00". So many people have great stuff in their basements and tons of people sent me bikes. I researched them and found an amazing deal. I rode the crap out of the bike and learned what kind of bike I wanted (along with help from this site) and recently bought a new one because I am riding so much.

People on this site are incredibly helpful about parts or pieces of just about anything. Plus, when people send you their bikes you have a little more control. I also had similiar luck with buying a trainer.
Old 05-11-07, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do narrow it down,for your sake and the sake of others : Road bike,drop bar or flat ... Hybrid,street,fitness ,flat or near flat. The answer will eliminate hundreds of words. I'll ask individuals : did you EVER ride a drop bar bike,a Varsity or such? .. if so,how did you like it ? If youreally prefer Mountain bikes,that indicates a preferance in the basic design.