Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Sleep Apnea Surgery

Old 04-26-07, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sleep Apnea Surgery

A while back someone started a thread about CPAP machines/Sleep Apnea well.....

On 4-11-07 I had a tonsilectomy(spl) and U(PPP) done. Verdict from Mrs. Missing no more snoring, she also says I'm not struggling to breath in my sleep. She said that my breathing is very heavy and strong. Yeah I know I need a sleep study to confirm her observations but it seems to have been a success!!!!!

Only down side, VERY painful!!! It still hurts abit to swallow after over 2 weeks but is getting better every day ( I lost 15 pounds because it was so hard to eat, so maybe it's an up side).
Old 04-29-07, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My doc says as long as the CPAP machine works, no surgery for me. I guess I could fake it and say I am still snoring but I'm afarid of the pain of surgery. My son had it when he was 15 y/o just last year. He is was tougher than me and he said it hurt like heck.
Old 04-30-07, 07:59 AM
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cantdrv55
My doc says as long as the CPAP machine works, no surgery for me. I guess I could fake it and say I am still snoring but I'm afarid of the pain of surgery. My son had it when he was 15 y/o just last year. He is was tougher than me and he said it hurt like heck.
+1. I've been using mine for 5 years now. I'm 44 and have no desire to have surgery.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 04-30-07, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope this works out for you. My doc said that surgery wouldn't help me but I did have a septum reconstruction and my sinsuses widened. that helped me breathe a little better, but mostly just while I'm awake. If you do end up needing a CPAP down the road, don't fight it. As soon as you know what a good nights sleep is (which you might if the surgery helps) you'll want to do anything needed to keep getting them. speaking of which, (and this is not an attempted thread-jack) does anyone know how to keep a cat from chewing through CPAP tubing?
Old 04-30-07, 09:17 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by StokerPoker
I hope this works out for you. My doc said that surgery wouldn't help me but I did have a septum reconstruction and my sinsuses widened. that helped me breathe a little better, but mostly just while I'm awake. If you do end up needing a CPAP down the road, don't fight it. As soon as you know what a good nights sleep is (which you might if the surgery helps) you'll want to do anything needed to keep getting them. speaking of which, (and this is not an attempted thread-jack) does anyone know how to keep a cat from chewing through CPAP tubing?
Spray iot with a nicotine based spray.....tastes terrible to the cat and once they tast it a couple of times, they will quit chewing.

Not a hijack as far as I'm concerned, but it's not my thread! It is apnea issue related though!

By the way, for you fellow apnea sufferers, as you lose weight, it's likely your apnea will recede as well. I've gone from BIPAP 17/20 on the pressure to 10 cm on a CPAP unit and can tolerate sleep without it if I need to now! A bit more and I may even be able to lose the CPAP permanently!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-30-07, 03:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the CPAP for 3 years, never really helped me any. I'm 1 year post op from having the facial reconstruction surgery, and I can say I don't regret it all...... Yes it sucked, but it never hurt. Just really uncomfortable, lost of swelling, and I'm just now eating solid foods (like steak) with relative ease..... I just happily donated my CPAP to a local charity last week... Man was I glad to see it go. If the CPAP works, use it. You will get used to it, and finally forget you ever have it on... But if all else fails, see a good surgeon, you won't regret it-----Fog
Old 05-01-07, 05:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As soon as you know what a good nights sleep is (which you might if the surgery helps) you'll want to do anything needed to keep getting them.
Before the surgery I thought I slept pretty good, now...... WOW!!!!!! Since I've gone through the surgery and it seems to have worked very well I have to make sure the weight loss continues so there is no chance that I get put on the machine later in life.

As a side note I no longer have to take blood pressure meds, it seems once the apnea was cleared up by the surgery my BP returned to normal.
Old 05-02-07, 12:30 PM
And he's single...

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Mirage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also a watered down hot sauce sprayed on it will work. my cat's chew on tubing, wires, styrofoam, cardboard, papertowels, toilet paper, and sponges. Hot sauce definately works. Somethings I also used a watergun method on. Watch for them to do it and spritz them with water. A little hard to do when sleeping though.
Old 05-02-07, 07:15 PM
TDI Guy

Bikes: Novara Corsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Surgery for Me...

I use CPAP with a pressure of 7.5. Works great and I love it: no more snoring, sleepiness or depression. I even use it when I take a nap. My sleep test prior to CPAP showed me having 597 waking events in 8 1/2 hours. I HIGHLY recommend aanyone who is having trouble sleeping to have an oevrnight sleep study. My wife is certainly glad I did!

Tony
Old 05-02-07, 09:10 PM
new newbie

Bikes: Cannondale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treynolds
I use CPAP with a pressure of 7.5. Works great and I love it: no more snoring, sleepiness or depression. I even use it when I take a nap. My sleep test prior to CPAP showed me having 597 waking events in 8 1/2 hours. I HIGHLY recommend aanyone who is having trouble sleeping to have an oevrnight sleep study. My wife is certainly glad I did!

Tony
Good idea, keep me in a job!

BS, RPSGT here...
Old 05-02-07, 09:21 PM
Opus

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CPAP for me until I lose the weight. I am told the soring should clear up. We'll see.

2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, 2007 Trek T1, 2006 Specialized Roubaix
2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1989 Miyata Sportrunner, 2006 Bianchi Axis, 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Expert

Lullaby Of Foo

Now I lay me down to sleep
Keep my bike safe from the bicycle thief
Keep my tootsies toasty warm
keep my carbon from any harm

Good Night Road Bike
Good Night Moutain Bike
Good night all you Foosters
And good night Moon
Old 05-03-07, 10:16 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by treynolds
My sleep test prior to CPAP showed me having 597 waking events in 8 1/2 hours.
Holy crap! That's gotta be a record. I only had 36 waking moments in 6 hr of sleep during my sleep study.
Old 05-04-07, 01:55 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you sleep during a sleep study? I'd be concerned about everyone looking at me, wires, cameras, etc. I'd never be able to fall asleep.
Old 05-04-07, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by (51)
How do you sleep during a sleep study? I'd be concerned about everyone looking at me, wires, cameras, etc. I'd never be able to fall asleep.
yes there are wires and a camera, but there isn't anyone actually in the room with you. I didn't have a problem falling asleep because I get home from work at 7 AM. I didn't take a nap all day so by the time I got there at 8:30 PM it was hard for me to stay awake while they were hooking me up.
Old 05-05-07, 10:15 PM

Bikes: 86' RockHopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jorpe, your about like me, I had a crazy high number like that with the longest episode lasting almost 1 minute. No wonder my wife used to tell me I looked a little dusky in the morning. Been CPAP'n almost 5 years now and have encouraged many to get a sleep study done. The last place I worked we got up to 5 guys hooked up to CPAP. Productivity went through the roof! I was a little hesitant joing the forum but jumped right in after reading this topic. - XXL
Old 05-06-07, 08:37 AM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've considered having surgery to straighten septum, tonsillectomy, etc. because my dependency on the CPAP means that I feel tied to an electrical outlet. How'm I gonna tour & camp with a CPAP? Yes, yes, I know it can be done but being apnic, relying on a CPAP certainly cuts into the long wilderness backpacking trips...
Old 05-06-07, 10:28 AM
new newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
I've considered having surgery to straighten septum, tonsillectomy, etc. because my dependency on the CPAP means that I feel tied to an electrical outlet. How'm I gonna tour & camp with a CPAP? Yes, yes, I know it can be done but being apnic, relying on a CPAP certainly cuts into the long wilderness backpacking trips...
Unfortunately, most likely even after the surgery you're going to have some of the resistance/obstruction in your upper airway... I see it all the time in pts who go into any corrective surgery thinking they'll be cured of OSA or UARS...

Think of it this way... Your insurance company already invested over $1k in you for the CPAP (if you've gone through a couple masks, filters and hoses) and if you say ''no doc I cant handle it anymore'' most likely your insurance will cover your surgery. Then they'll say... we just paid an ENT to bore out your upper airway, you damn well better be cured.... so back to the sleep lab. IF there's any trace of obstruction in your upper airway they're going to script you a CPAP again anyways. They look at it as they've spent a lot of money on you to keep you from having the long term effects of untreated apnea, so you better be using your prescribed treatment.
Old 05-06-07, 12:16 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I think there is wisdom in your response. I don't have to like it & I have heard the same from my GP that 1) surgery, 2) CPAP, 3) whatever else in treatments, all have their success stories and failures.

Boy, though, I'd really like to be a success story. Since my deviated septum cuts off 80% of airflow on one side & 20% on the other, it is pretty annoying.

With 2 boys in college, I'm not likely to come up with the $ 2,000+ that will be my co-pay on a surgical procedure any time soon so my whining is just wishful thinking.

anyway, thanks for your thoughtful response...
Old 05-06-07, 01:05 PM
new newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
Well, I think there is wisdom in your response. I don't have to like it & I have heard the same from my GP that 1) surgery, 2) CPAP, 3) whatever else in treatments, all have their success stories and failures.

Boy, though, I'd really like to be a success story. Since my deviated septum cuts off 80% of airflow on one side & 20% on the other, it is pretty annoying.

With 2 boys in college, I'm not likely to come up with the $ 2,000+ that will be my co-pay on a surgical procedure any time soon so my whining is just wishful thinking.

anyway, thanks for your thoughtful response...
Sorry, not trying to be a downer. I'm a sleep tech and have started labs in the past, it sucks how that works... BUT... BUT... a deviated septum is a different story. You could very well have a lot higher chance of success than someone who just wants the surgery instead of CPAP because they think they can get away with it. A deviated septum is really annoying in the sleep lab. You'll undoubtedly test positive for obstructive apnea, but may beathe fine through your mouth. With a deviated septum you're not giving yoruself a chance to sleep well. The negative physiologyical effects of sleep apnea will FUBAR your fitness attempts. If you're out riding and makin it with a deviated septum, my riding helmet is off to you... Congrats!

If you're interested in knowing more about the physiology of sleep (and pathophysiology) I can give you some good info... It'll get you pumped up for getting treatment/therapy for OSA/UARS/snoring. My favorite part of my job is seeing people making runs at killer fitness levels getting the boost they need from getting OSA treated.
Old 05-06-07, 09:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jorpe
A deviated septum is really annoying in the sleep lab. You'll undoubtedly test positive for obstructive apnea, but may beathe fine through your mouth. With a deviated septum you're not giving yoruself a chance to sleep well.
Yup, I have to sleep with a full face mask (that doesn't fit - too small but it's the largest one made) due to deviated septum. But there's also a relaxation of the throat muscles that close the throat airways. Between not breathing through my nose & having the throat close up, I feel pretty trapped into the CPAP technology at this point...
Old 05-07-07, 10:13 AM
TDI Guy

Bikes: Novara Corsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deviated Septum... (and other things)

As a follow-up to my earlier post, I too have a deviated septum, but it wasn't diagnosed until AFTER my sleep study and getting on CPAP. My CPAP pressure is such that even with the partial blockage I have in my nasal passage due to the deviated septum, I can still breathe using the Swift nose 'pillow' mask, which I HIGHLY recommend.

I used to have my mouth drop open to be able to breathe, hence the snoring. Now, I rarely have my mouth open when I'm sleeping.

As for the sleep study itself making it difficult to sleep, well yeah, I'm a light sleeper and being hooked up to all that stuff didn't make it easy, but the results have been so good that I would gladly do it over again OR recommend it to anyone having sleep difficulties.

As to weight loss solving apnea, my ENT surgeon said forget it. The problem is the changes that ocurr in the soft tissues at the back of the throat due to age. She has recommended that I have surgery to correct the septum, but that would only make it easier to breathe while awake, NOT solve the sleep apnea. Somnoplasty on my nasal passages (what she could reach with her probe) did little to correct my situation.

As for traveling with the machine, I have the new smaller unit from Respironics, The M Star Plus:

https://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/Respiro...er-Ds200h.aspx

It's very small and I can travel without the humidifier if I wanted, but I don't because my nasal passages are too sensitive to dry air.

I have the battery hookups to run it off a 12V deep cycle battery when we take out pop-up trailer out camping. Backpacking it's not, but I can't do that anymore anyway. My knees won't take it and I'm too old to sleep on the ground.

Tony