Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Do they make solid steel seat posts?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 10:55 PM

Bikes: EDDIE F'N BAUER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was riding down on a steep hill and apparantly the seat was too high. For those that down know about the affects of gravity the whole seat post bent backwards and I basically got reamed. So I went to the nearest bike shop and got a new one, and finished the ride. I am no longer using that bike- I'm riding the Open Road now and I was going to raise the seat- because my knees were hitting my elbows. I was raising it then it fell out. This one was only about 6 inches long. My new post is too small so I got to get a new one. I'm going to the shop tommorow, but I was wondering if they make SOLID- not hollow- seat posts so I can raise this mother without worrying.
Old 03-16-07, 11:08 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Get a mountain bike seat post. Those puppies come in lengths of 15 inches or longer. The shop has been selling you road-bike seat posts (which are both shorter and lighter OR see the third paragraph of this post). I ride a Thomson brand seatpost that is reinforced internally on the front and back to prevent the "backward bending" that you've experienced. Thomson's aren't cheap, but one bent/broken seatpost is one too many.

As for solid seat posts, the tubular ones are actually stronger! This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

By the way, you didn't say, but if you're riding a "cruiser" style, coaster-brake bike with a 3/4" diameter steel seat post, the problem isn't the seatpost, it's the bike. There's no way to get a seat post with a diameter that small that WON'T bend with a rider of substance. Unfortunately, if that's the type of bike you're riding, you need a better bike, not a longer seatpost. Better bikes come with larger-diameter seatposts that are MUCH sturdier and SAFER.

Please replace your post with a sturdier AND longer one ASAP! We'd like to keep you around.

Last edited by FarHorizon; 03-16-07 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-17-07, 03:05 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I snapped mine off late last year as well (I ride with 8-9" exposed!). I was told Tompson was the strongest seatpost available. Contact Eric at Smart Bike Parts in Chicago. He'll hook you up:

https://smartbikeparts.com/index.php?...&cat=Seatposts
Old 03-17-07, 07:11 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Tompson is highly recommend for us Clydes.

I had an issue with a seat post on a folding bike which bent (luckily didn't snap). I got a replacement and epoxied a steel plumbing pipe on the inside. Sucker is heavy but I can break a door down with it if need be.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 03-17-07, 10:42 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bluepython723
I was riding down on a steep hill and apparantly the seat was too high. For those that down know about the affects of gravity the whole seat post bent backwards and I basically got reamed. So I went to the nearest bike shop and got a new one, and finished the ride. I am no longer using that bike- I'm riding the Open Road now and I was going to raise the seat- because my knees were hitting my elbows. I was raising it then it fell out. This one was only about 6 inches long. My new post is too small so I got to get a new one. I'm going to the shop tommorow, but I was wondering if they make SOLID- not hollow- seat posts so I can raise this mother without worrying.
Insert a rod or tube inside the seatpost, like Air did. It does work!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-18-07, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
(I ride with 8-9" exposed!)
Can't believe that's going to go without comment.
Likes For Six jours:
Old 03-18-07, 05:21 PM

Bikes: 2001 Giant OCR w/105-10spd, Schwinn High-Plains Built for Commute plus 3 Others in Various Stages of Rebuild/Repair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thompsons are great posts, I love'd the one on my last bike before it was stolen, and I was well over 300lbs then.

From a mechanical perspective, a hollow post (with heavy enough walls) will actually resist bending much better than a solid one. In theory, a fairly thick walled hollow post filled with a highly rigid foam would be even stronger (that's how the long bones in your body are as strong but light as they are) but I don't know how you would make one.

Paul
Old 03-18-07, 05:28 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Six jours
And to think I still have about half of it unexposed!
Old 03-18-07, 05:36 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
That's because I know how tall he is and the issues getting a frame in that size!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-18-07, 09:23 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Halthane
Thompsons are great posts, I love'd the one on my last bike before it was stolen, and I was well over 300lbs then.

From a mechanical perspective, a hollow post (with heavy enough walls) will actually resist bending much better than a solid one. In theory, a fairly thick walled hollow post filled with a highly rigid foam would be even stronger (that's how the long bones in your body are as strong but light as they are) but I don't know how you would make one.

Paul
Take a hollow post, temporarily cap one end, get a can of that expanding foam insulation, shoot some foam into the post let it set up, and cut off the excess, you now have a rigid foam filled post.
Old 03-19-07, 06:42 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=240193
https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=238801

At some point I'll get around to reposting the pictures and narrative of how I did mine but those two threads helped me.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 03-19-07, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Get the Thompson. I've got one on both of my bikes and never had a problem at 270lbs.
Old 03-19-07, 07:38 AM
velosipedist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For half the price and 20 grams more, you could get a Salsa. I'm not knockin' the Thomson at all, but le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.
Old 03-19-07, 08:12 AM
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1000000 on the Thomson posts. Most precise tilt adjustment of anything I've seen for micro-adjustment. Second bolt for added security, and the tube is shaped inside to put more material where it does the most good (front and back of the inside of the post are thicker, the sides are a little less so.

Light, strong, and while they are expensive I've heard of no one who has had one fail.
Old 03-19-07, 03:38 PM

Bikes: EDDIE F'N BAUER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update
------------------
I was planning on asking the bike shop for a Thomson then they slapped a bike ass labor fee on me for some brake pads. I had no more damn money on me so I was forced to just get a regular mountain bike seat post. So I may try foam filling the one I have and if it works then there isn't much reason to get a Thomson other then the added security.
Old 03-21-07, 10:01 AM
Clyde Rider/Racer

Bikes: Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm over 350lbs and ride on a Thomson, they are ABSOLUTELY BOMBPROOF.
Old 08-29-07, 04:38 PM

Bikes: 2008 Worksman INB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bummer thompson does not make a seat post in 22.2mm a.k.a. 7/8".

i epoxied some 1/2" square tubing into my 22.2mm cro-moly seat post and i haven't had any problems since. thanks Air for the great idea.

be careful, the chemical reaction of the epoxy can get the post really, really hot!
Old 08-29-07, 05:21 PM
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thomson. They're pretty much indestructable, and they're lighter than all but the best carbon posts. Seriously, the strength to weigh ratio of those things is incredible. They also come in ridiculous lengths - I've got the 400+ mm one on my MTB, with something like 10" exposed (I bought the frame small on purpose - I'm 6'3" & it's a 17").

I always joke that if my MTB goes off a cliff or my road bike gets hit by a car, that the seatpost will be the only thing that survives the crash.

-DR
Old 08-29-07, 06:10 PM
Grumbly Goat

Bikes: bicycles with round wheels

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluepython723
Update
------------------
I was planning on asking the bike shop for a Thomson then they slapped a bike ass labor fee on me for some brake pads. I had no more damn money on me so I was forced to just get a regular mountain bike seat post. So I may try foam filling the one I have and if it works then there isn't much reason to get a Thomson other then the added security.

tap in an oak dowel with some epoxy. Your post will be bomber.
Old 08-29-07, 08:02 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are exposing more then 6" of seatpost, the frame is too small. Us clydes should use tradtional frames and avoid compact frames a la Sean Kelly.
Likes For DieselDan:
Old 08-30-07, 12:48 PM
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are really concerned go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a peice of Schedule 80 black pipe cut to your desired length. It will weigh several pounds but it will not let you down. Buy some spray paint and hook it up to your desired color or have it powder coated.
Old 08-30-07, 01:24 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
(I ride with 8-9" exposed!)
Well, maybe if Senator Craig was here....
Old 08-30-07, 01:26 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would say go with the thomson too. I've had mine for 9 years, it's worth every penny (although I got mine for free).

Otherwise I found an old Syncros (hot stuff back in the mid nineties) post for my little brother on ebay that cost 1/3 as much.
Old 03-11-21, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Alta 21 speed, NEXT Power X 18 speed, Royce Union 12 speed (Not sure what model)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big boy needing big bum support

I was wondering about solid seat posts myself. A couple years ago I went for a 20 mile ride and 3 mile hike on my mountain bike, and on the way back home my bike seat post bent far enough that my bike rack was rubbing the back tire if I hit a bump. I was 230lbs then and had 1.5 gallons of water strapped to the rack. Luckily I was able to straighten it back out again by removing it from my bike, placing it across two rocks and beating the seat stem with a log, but I dumped out half my water and rode gingerly the last few miles home.

I'm trying to get back into bike riding because my legs are deteriorating from the disuse and I need the exercise BADLY, but I now weigh over 260lbs (Thank's Covid, keeping me home...) and I'm worried for my poor bike.
Old 03-11-21, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
Na

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.