Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Curve (D3 and or SL) thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 04:58 PM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Apparently all the respected models have their own thread, and since I just recently joined the Dahon family, I don't think it's a bad idea to create the place to find information about the Curve.

I'm loading a few pictures comparing the folded size with a Merc. More tom come in the future.

R

PS: So far, besides being a little heavy and a little stiff, this bike is awesome. I'm already working on reducing the weight (Fenders, rack, etc) and a nice thudbuster seatpost will do the trick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0390 (Medium).JPG (72.4 KB, 687 views)
IMG_0392 (Medium).JPG (72.0 KB, 523 views)
IMG_0393 (Medium).JPG (70.1 KB, 537 views)
IMG_0398 (Medium).JPG (92.1 KB, 671 views)
IMG_0405 (Large) (Medium).JPG (78.4 KB, 685 views)
Old 03-05-07, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The tires on the Curve look smaller than those on the Merc. Are they 305s?
Old 03-05-07, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti
The tires on the Curve look smaller than those on the Merc. Are they 305s?
Yup, they're 305s.

I'm surprised at how close the two bikes are in size. Everyone raves about the Brompton folding so small. I thought the folded curve was kinda big and judging from the photos it looks like the Brompton is too.

BTW, 14R, how much does your bromptonstein weigh?
Old 03-05-07, 05:57 PM
Member, Schmember

Bikes: Bike Friday Crusoe and Pocket Tourist. Dahon Curve D3 and Speed P8. Raleigh Twenty. Bianchi Eros. Highly modified Mongoose Dynametric (hybrid)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice. I see you're turning yours into a bit of a speedster, whereas I'm going for more of a nerd-mobile shopper image with mine.
Attached Images
IMG_0034f.jpg (84.8 KB, 610 views)
Old 03-05-07, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I would like to see a photo of the DT Mini next to the Curve. That would be more of an apples-to-apples comparison.
Old 03-05-07, 07:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice pix of the curve - I see it folds the handles in the between the tires where as the merc has it to the side keeping the wheels closer together.. Who / where do you get the Merc from - nice looking bike too?

Would be nice to see the DT Mini here too..
Old 03-05-07, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DaFriMon
Very nice. I see you're turning yours into a bit of a speedster, whereas I'm going for more of a nerd-mobile shopper image with mine.
Nice bike. I noticed you keep a basket up front. Can you have a Brompton like bag attached to bike or one that's closed?
Old 03-05-07, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 14R
Apparently all the respected models have their own thread, and since I just recently joined the Dahon family, I don't think it's a bad idea to create the place to find information about the Curve.

I'm loading a few pictures comparing the folded size with a Merc. More tom come in the future.

R

PS: So far, besides being a little heavy and a little stiff, this bike is awesome. I'm already working on reducing the weight (Fenders, rack, etc) and a nice thudbuster seatpost will do the trick.
I still feel the Presto Lite was better because it could be carried a football field without leaving you exhaused. However, your bike is still very nice.

I have the Dahon suspension seat post and it works fine. It's less expensive than the Thudbuster and doesn't compromise the fold. A Brooks Champion Flyer is also another alternative.
Old 03-05-07, 11:09 PM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
BTW, 14R, how much does your bromptonstein weigh?
26 Pounds
Old 03-05-07, 11:13 PM
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fireworkz
Nice pix of the curve - I see it folds the handles in the between the tires where as the merc has it to the side keeping the wheels closer together.. Who / where do you get the Merc from - nice looking bike too?

Would be nice to see the DT Mini here too..
I agree having the Curve next to a Mini would be a better comparison, but based on what I have here now, that's the best I can offer.

My Merc was purchased aproximately 5 months ago from Wav, a forum user. It's the "super Merc" as some other members address it, the G6 model with 6 speed and all the upgrades Brompton users would love to be able to get without spending thousands of dollars (front derailleur, V brakes, suspension handlebar, telescopic seatpost, S type handlebar with bar extensions, etc). It is a great bike and if I could I would keep it, but I need the money and the bike is right now on E-Bay for sale.
Old 03-05-07, 11:15 PM
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I have the Dahon suspension seat post and it works fine. It's less expensive than the Thudbuster and doesn't compromise the fold.
I already have a regular Thudbuster, so for me all I needed was a 20 bucks or so telescopic seatpost from Dahon (ended up getting it from ThorUSA again) and I am all set for a decent amount of money invested.
Old 03-06-07, 02:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is telling that the Brompton/Merc is still smaller when folded than the Dahon Curve - even with the latter's 305s. What's more, the wheelbase and saddle to bars distance is longer on the "Mercton"...
Old 03-06-07, 06:17 AM
Member, Schmember

Bikes: Bike Friday Crusoe and Pocket Tourist. Dahon Curve D3 and Speed P8. Raleigh Twenty. Bianchi Eros. Highly modified Mongoose Dynametric (hybrid)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Nice bike. I noticed you keep a basket up front. Can you have a Brompton like bag attached to bike or one that's closed?
The Klickfix type bags don't seem to include any large ones comparable to the Brompton ones, and US dealers don't have a very large selection. I'm also not sure what the maximum weight capacity is supposed to be. There are some closed style bags on the market.
Old 03-06-07, 07:03 PM
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Time for some pictures. I don't have any decent landscape where I am (I don't live in Orlando right next to golf courses anymore) but one must do what he can with what he has, so here we go:

and while bored, waiting for a soup to get ready:

It is kinda weird how SMALL LOOKING the bike is. Well...

R
Old 03-06-07, 09:28 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bike. Very minimalist.

I love the last photo, b/w with the red pop! How do you do that?

Finally, did you say in another thread you're bidding on another folder? You just got this one!! Can't you make up your mind?
Old 03-06-07, 11:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice pics.. i envy your weather .. we have snow and -30 here .. anyhow whats ur height ? Will help to better picture the bike size..
Old 03-07-07, 02:49 AM
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fireworkz
nice pics.. i envy your weather .. we have snow and -30 here .. anyhow whats ur height ? Will help to better picture the bike size..

I'm 5'9" (1.74m)
Old 03-07-07, 02:51 AM
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
Finally, did you say in another thread you're bidding on another folder? You just got this one!! Can't you make up your mind?
I need one bike for me and I need one bike to my significant other. Every week I have a new significant other, so I need a new bike about every other week (lol).

Last edited by 14R; 03-07-07 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 03:01 AM
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
I love the last photo, b/w with the red pop! How do you do that?
if you are familiar with Adobe Photoshop (I use CS2), create a new image with the same dimensions of the original.

Drag and drop the original image as a new layer;

make the entire image Grayscale;

Make the image back RGB (the grayscale will be preserved);

Now drag, once again, the original image (in color) to a new layer;

You pretty much created an image with 2 layers: one black and white and another, in color, on top of that;

Get the erase tool and nice and slow (I use a Wacom tablet) delete everything you don't want in color. The back and white layer will still be preserved;

Once you are done, flatten all layers and save as JPG.

With practice it takes about 5 minutes to do a simple image like this one.

Hope this helps.

R.
Old 03-07-07, 10:26 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14R
Every week I have a new significant other, so I need a new bike about every other week (lol).
I like this plan! Wish I had thought of it before I got married
Old 03-07-07, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14R
I need one bike for me and I need one bike to my significant other. Every week I have a new significant other, so I need a new bike about every other week (lol).
Hey 14R,

I'll date you for a week if you'll buy me a new Dahon curve. Of course I'm straight and married, but what the heck, it's only a week.

Juan
Old 03-07-07, 12:50 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So has anyone tried the SL with the SA 5 speed ultra-light version (Dahon spec's wording, not mine)?
Old 03-08-07, 11:39 AM
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by juan162
Of course I'm straight and married, but what the heck, it's only a week.
Juan
Let me think about that one for a second..uh..no. Something is telling me that this is NOT a good idea (lol)

R

PS:What a diverse group we have here, uh? Never thought I would find a folder enthusiast with pederastic tendencies! Awesome (lol)
Old 03-08-07, 12:38 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
By the way, the SL version is supposed to weigh 22 lbs.--with Big Apples on the wheels.
Old 03-19-07, 12:55 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So how are things going with the Dahon Curve?

Do the bar-ends intefere with the compact fold?

Can you roll the bike while folded after extending the seatpost?

Can you fold the bike with the klickfix bag on the front?

Given that it has the front attachment, a 5-speed internal hub, and (hopefully) fully compatible with various Dahon handbar stem modifications, it has crossed my mind to pick one up as a small commuter. R ... I think you brought up a good point about the magnetic lock.

I am a little taller than you R (6') ... and I like to be more spread out horizontally; maybe Thor can suggest a few suitable mods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.