Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bikes or projects that Sheldon Brown has helped you with.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 09:34 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

By now most members probably have read the other thread about him being sick. I bet he would like to read about and see pictures of projects that he inspired or helped with.
Has Sheldon Brown helped you with something? Do you have a photo? Or a story?

This bike belongs to a friend, without Sheldon's web pages detailing all kinds of things related to fixed gear this bike would not be around. I have ridden it, it's a great bike, it's an old Univega fixed gear conversion. And easy on the eyes too.
My friend has another one with no chain tensioner and vertical drops. It's very unique, but no photos yet.

Old 02-21-07, 09:58 AM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's see, I built my first fixed gear, including the rear wheel, based ENTIRELY on Sheldon's "fixed gear on the cheap" guide and his wheelbuilding guide... for about $80 :

Old 02-21-07, 10:08 AM
On the big ring

Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have pictures to add, but his posts here and his website has been a fountain of good information.

I bought a wheelset from Harris Cycle that I have been very pleased with.

A tip from the purchase lead me to a new freewheel gear set.

After I installed the new wheels and freewheel, he tipped me off to the chain skipping problem I had. I bought a new chain, as he recommended to begin with, but I choose to ignore, and the problem was solved.

I can't count the number of times I refered to his website for DIY tips.

Thanks for everything Sheldon, and get well.
Old 02-21-07, 10:28 AM

Bikes: 2004 Lemond Zurich, 1983 Trek 720, 2005 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently have 3 "Sheldon" bikes. I rebuilt my 1976 Motobecane Nomad (for Sentimental Reasons) with parts from my wifes 1985 Gitane Allure. I then broke Sheldon's first rule of French bikes and put $ into the Gitane - converting it to 700 C wheels and an 8 speed rear cassette (Sheldon's directions for spreading the rear triangle) with bar end shifters. My third and best project is my 1983 Trek 720 - using parts from the Gitane Build and a Stronglight Compact Crankset I built the Trek into an 18 speed Long distance Cycle and moved some of the Trek parts back to the Gitane this winter and use the Gitane as an offroad/winter bike.
Thank you Sheldon and I wish you the best of luck with your medical issues. I will be in Newton in June and hopefully you will be at the shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gitane.jpg (34.8 KB, 69 views)
Trek 720 BF.jpg (91.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-21-07, 10:39 AM

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a bike or photo so specific but on numerous occasions I have wandered over to his site to find information I knew would be there. I have found Sheldon to be probably the most informative single source on the internet for all things bikes.
Old 02-21-07, 10:46 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I think I could post about 10 pictures of bikes that were all pretty much inspired by Sheldon Brown data. And I think I will when I get home. I bet this thread would make for a pretty cool collection of pictures. Somebody should collect them all into a nice collage, montage, or Ken Burns style slide show. Very cool.

Here's one from me. Lot's more coming.
Attached Images
tourer.jpg (91.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-21-07, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
His page on removing BB cups helped me remove the fixed cup on a 20yo road bike. Since I got rid of my adjustable BB tools shortly after the introduction of Shimano's cartridge BB unit back in the 90s, I was not looking forward to buying the fixed cup wrench just to remove it (and replace with a cartridge unit). It never occured to me I could use a bench vise till I read his page.

I also use his site as a resource about older bike gear. It was very helpful when picking out the proper BB size for an early 90s vintage Dura Ace crankset, or for helping me decide to go to a 130mm rear hub on my 126mm bike, etc.

That's an old pic, before all the work, but it is the bike he "helped" me with.

Of course, I just plain enjoy reading his site even when I don't need help.

Thanks Sheldon!

Chris
Old 02-21-07, 10:52 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
I went 40+ years without riding and then was given an ol beater 10 speed, and now have worked my way up to a couple old beater 21 speeds.
I have gotten most of my "smarts" from his website.
The first tip was how to keep the chain from coming off the RDER on a 1975 10 speed I'd gotten from my little brother. I probably would have started bendind things without his help.
Little "bro" was impressed on how well I got it shifting. He took it back:-)

The concept that there were different cassette/freewheels out there was also foreign to me. I just assumed the gears you got were the gears you got. I now have a gearset that works wonderfully for me.
Even when I don't "need" something, I peruse his pages and learn new things. It's kind of a free time thing, like another person might read a book.
Old 02-21-07, 10:54 AM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I learned how to build up wheels from his tutorial on the subject. Now, I have re-laced all the rear wheels on all three bikes I own with double butted spokes to keep the spokes from breaking (I'm a bit heavy for a cyclist and tend to break spokes on machined laced wheels), and I built up both wheels on my commuter bike.

I also learned about fixed gear bikes, which cumulated, after a few years, into my purchase of a Raleigh Rush Hour, which is now my urban commute bike.

No doubt that he has been influential in the bicycling community. His website remains the most informative site on bicycle mechanics on the web.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 02-21-07, 10:56 AM
It's a moral imperative

Bikes: 2006 Redline Monocog 29, 2001 Jamis Durango (Mod SS), 2005 IBEX Aprisa custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my first encounter with sheldon and his site was a few years ago when I "broke my rear derailleur for the last time" on my MTB. I was interested in going single speed so i did some research and found sheldon. I loved SS riding and in the process of converting my hardtail fell in love with tinkering with all my bikes which developed into dumpster diving for old roadies to convert and so on and so on.

I have a blog with some current projects that have all been inspired by and helped along by sheldon's site and endless information.
Old 02-21-07, 11:10 AM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
By now most members probably have read the other thread about him being sick. I bet he would like to read about and see pictures of projects that he inspired or helped with.
Has Sheldon Brown helped you with something? Do you have a photo? Or a story?

This bike belongs to a friend, without Sheldon's web pages detailing all kinds of things related to fixed gear this bike would not be around. I have ridden it, it's a great bike, it's an old Univega fixed gear conversion. And easy on the eyes too.

Thanks! I'm enjoying the thread, and I'm glad to see you have the front brake lever on the "right" side too!

Sheldon " https://sheldonbrown.com/bicycles " Brown
Old 02-21-07, 11:14 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
In addition to volumes of good information Sheldon has helped me with individual cassette cogs for modifying Shimano cassettes and with TA Alize chainrings for modifying my wife's Ultegra triple.

Al
Old 02-21-07, 11:18 AM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Click my signature!

It's an 8 speed shimano drivetrain with 10-speed campagnolo levers. I also started truing my wheels myself and I'm thinking of building a set of wheels.
Old 02-21-07, 11:37 AM
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, First build was possible because of his site, Everytime I turn a hex key, it's because of the info I got from him. You truely are a living legend MR. BROWN
Old 02-21-07, 11:41 AM
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess pretty much all my bikes have benefitted from his wisdom to one extent or other. Chances are I wouldn't be riding fixed today otherwise.
Old 02-21-07, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sheldon Brown's site has been great help to me also.

More pics on my Project link.

Thanks Sheldon!! #1

Last edited by JTGraphics; 02-21-07 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 11:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picture coming this weekend. I just finished putting together a bike I'd been fussing with for weeks, when some of sheldon's advice, and 83 cents at my LBS solved my issues and got me shifting again =)

This will be the first bike I've owned since I was old enough to drive, and starting next month, it's back to bicycle commuting for me =)

-- James
Old 02-21-07, 12:05 PM
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good question ;-)

I have got some very good advice from all of the folks at Harris - not just Sheldon. Sheldon was of great help with some questions about fenders and Peuguot refurbs. On one of my many trips to Harris, I enjoyed a great dissertation, by Sheldon, on the history of fire (culminating with the introduction of the Bic lighter) and how to properly drive a crank cotter out of a pedal (hold your punch with visegrips and hit hard).

I also discovered how committed Harris is to bicycle commuting. As a result of this I found great Burley rain gear and made some good friends (Steve Gonzalez, Barbara, and Jon - really nice people!). The whole gang there is very committed to finding solutions to your problems. I know this because I have presented some pretty strange ones to them ;-)
Old 02-21-07, 12:05 PM
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Just about every bike I own. I'll try to dig up some pictures.

Thanks Sheldon.
Old 02-21-07, 12:22 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
Thanks! I'm enjoying the thread, and I'm glad to see you have the front brake lever on the "right" side too!

Sheldon " https://sheldonbrown.com/bicycles " Brown
One day someone left a frame leaning against my house by the door. Still don't know who. It's now his singlespeed comuter with vert drops and no chain tensioner. Running good with a half link from Harris, a little filing of the drops, and your advice. He might email you.
I'm still bugging him for a photo.

be well.
Old 02-21-07, 12:25 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Twice Sheldon Came thru with unsolicited , helpful technical advice . Just what the doctor ordered. thanks..
Old 02-21-07, 01:40 PM
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For my mtb conversions to s/s and fixed gear bikes I refered to Sheldons site many times, and have recommened it to friends on many occations. Such a well thoughtout and informative site that has no pretentions and explains everything in a way that everyone can understand and benefit from.

Become reality to me
Old 02-21-07, 01:49 PM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What DIDN'T I do without Sheldon's site? All of the bikes I have have, at one point or anoher, benefitted from Sheldon.

Right hand brake is key, and I'm sorry I don't have a pic of my fixie here for Sheldon to see it in use.
Old 02-21-07, 04:06 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tellyho
What DIDN'T I do without Sheldon's site? All of the bikes I have have, at one point or anoher, benefitted from Sheldon.
+1 to that!

Unable to stop looking at pictures of the San Jos8, I built my own with a frame I found on Craig's List. Got the wheels from Harris and I'd never have figured out what BB width to use without talking to those guys. (Note the right hand front brake)
Attached Images
FujiRoyale1.jpg (52.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 02-21-07, 04:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My member status
<-------------------
is a Sheldon Brown quote. On my first fixed gear project, I had a question about getting the right chain length and tension. I posted a photo and he looked at the nuts and said "Those nuts are dog poop! Go to your local bike shop and get some proper track nuts with washers." I just thought dog poop nuts was the funniest thing I'd read on here in a long time. And I finally got some decent wheels with proper nuts.

Which allowed me to build up this wonderful bike, an '89 Trek 660, as an all-weather commuter/training bike. Gets me to work on time, builds my spin, and makes me ready for the early season crits.

And then there's this bike, my $40 garage-sale-special Rock Hopper. I hate flat bars and I had an old set of 8-spd RSX brifters and SR road drops from my first "real" bike. After a little research on sheldonbrown.com, I found that I could make it work, even though most folks will tell you that you can't put road components on a mountain bike. Well, you can. And I did, and now I've got the world's best grocery-getter and kid-trailer-hauler.

Thank you very, very, very much, Sheldon. You are a national treasure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.