Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Water bottle cage for frame with no braze-ons?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend of mine wants to mount a water bottle cage on his bike, but there are no bottle braze-ons on the frame. I did a search on the web and found this page: https://www.nordicgroup.us/cageboss.htm

It shows some interesting models for bikes that have no braze-ons:

Zefal Gizmo Clamp

KLICKFix Bottle Fix

Minoura BH-95 - Single Bottle Cage Holder

Minoura Extra Cage Clamp-Band Set

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Are there other things on the market? Thanks in advance,

Sp@eder
Old 05-08-03, 11:58 AM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The zefal gizmo can be frustrating to install, holding all the pieces in place.
The Minoura cage clamps work well on small diameter tubes. Install them loose then slip the cage under them and tighten.
There are also mounts that will let you put one cage on the handlebar and two bottles off of the seat rails.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 05-08-03, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I've had good luck using zip-ties in lieu of Minoura clamp on bands. They work with any size tubes and come in snazzy colors.
Old 05-08-03, 11:16 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar carries a few different ones to carry watter bottles. Profile also makes one that has two bottle cages that clamp to the seat tube.
Old 05-09-03, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Why I am having that very problem myself. Didn't occur to me that something lik ethis would exist.

I glued my plastic water bottle holder on the frame and secured it with zip ties. I foudn the zip ties where not enough to hold it in place and would slip with time. The glue I used is permanent (i hope) and will make it difficult to change the cage should it break, but thats later.

Digger
Old 05-09-03, 09:14 PM

When using zip-ties, the trick is to put a small piece of innertube rubber between the contact point of the cage and the down tube/seat tube. Once I used a small piece of shelf liner, the kind that is also good for opening jar lids. You can get a large piece at a Dollar General store. This protects the frame as well as providing a better grip.

It is important to get the zip-tie very tight. After pulling as hard as possible, I grab the tail with my side cutters; and just before cutting, I roll the cutters to get that last "click".

I use two zip-ties at each end of the cage mount.

Using this method the cage should be as solid as need be.
Old 05-09-03, 09:30 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally posted by Louis
It is important to get the zip-tie very tight. After pulling as hard as possible, I grab the tail with my side cutters; and just before cutting, I roll the cutters to get that last "click".
Make sure to get high-quality zip-ties when doing this. I've used zip-ties to bundle up cables in datacenters that were bought in bulk and were of rather low quality. I've had the ratchets slip or break off as well as having the ties simply snap in half when I applied just a bit of tension on them. Avoid the ones at Target and drugstores and head for auto-parts stores or electrical supply stores such as Graybar.
Old 05-09-03, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by khuon
Make sure to get high-quality zip-ties when doing this. I've used zip-ties to bundle up cables in datacenters that were bought in bulk and were of rather low quality. I've had the ratchets slip or break off as well as having the ties simply snap in half when I applied just a bit of tension on them. Avoid the ones at Target and drugstores and head for auto-parts stores or electrical supply stores such as Graybar.
Very good point, khuon. I concur wholeheartedly.
Old 05-09-03, 10:29 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Since I am going to splurge and have the Capo repainted in its original red-and-white Austrian flag-like color scheme (see attached photo, which I just received from a gentleman in Montana), and since it lacks water bottle braze-ons, I am looking for a satisfactory solution. The period-correct fixture would be a single- or dual-bottle holder clamped to the upper span of the handlebar, but I have not seen these for many years.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-10-03, 08:06 PM
Year-round cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Clamps do exist: I have been able to buy some at my LBS. They looked at me as if I was crazy, but I got some anyway.

Another solution would be to buy a cheap bottle holder at a large surface store. Last year, Canadian Tire sold a complete bottle, bottle cage and clamps for $5 or $6.

Yet another solution would be to buy Rivnuts, Rivendell sells them, amongst others. Look at https://www.RivendellBicycles.com and search in their "webalog". Rivnuts are little bolt holders that one "rivets" in the tube. I have never bought nor installed any, so I don't know how easily they work.

Regards,
Old 05-10-03, 11:12 PM
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John E, I believe you should be able to get the single handlebar mount from Minoura. I think you can even still get alloy bottles with cork stoppers from (I think) World Cycling Productions.

Old 05-12-03, 10:31 AM
Just Follow Your Feet!

Bikes: Volae Expedition, ActionBent Tidal Wave II, Nishiki Olympic, Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased the Zefal mounts from Nashbar and I am very pleased with them.
Old 05-24-03, 06:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-24-03, 07:22 AM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
John E, Elite does still make the alloy bottles, it's their "Retro product"

...And it's only $24.99!!

Old 05-24-03, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other possibility not mentioned by anyone would be to install some riv-nuts in the frame tubing. These work best in alloy frames and can be obtained in aluminum, steel and stainless steel. Of sourse you need a special riv-nut tool to install them and you must be super careful you drill your holes in the exact spot you want the cage to be, but in the long run they are superior to temporary fixes.
Old 05-24-03, 03:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scooby Snax
John E, Elite does still make the alloy bottles, it's their "Retro product"

...And it's only $24.99!!

Last edited by Sp@eder; 05-24-03 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 08:08 PM
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chasbo, you can install a rivnut without the special tool by using the correct size nut and bolt. Thread the nut on to the bolt and thread the bolt fully in to the riv nut. Insert the riv nut into the frame and crank the nut down on to the riv nut while pushing down on to bolt and preventing it from turning. Used to work for a Cdale dealer and we had to do this on some of the smaller frames, that the plier style tool would not fit into.

Old 05-25-03, 08:30 PM

Bikes: 04 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2010 Cannondale

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I used a band-clamp of the type used on automobile radiator hoses to hold a cage in place on my beater. I used strips of rubber under the clamps to protect the paint. Has worked well and is easily removed if I'm ever inclined.
Old 05-25-03, 08:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep Reverend, you are absolutely correct. Yet if you install the stainless steel nuts the plier tool's about the only sane way to go. I worked for a small mtb frame maker and had to do 300-500 of them on a busy week. The alloy and regular steel riv-nuts press insanely easy though and the bolt and nut method work really well for them.