Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Number of links in chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Number of links in chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 11:23 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Number of links in chain

Anyone know the "correct" number of links in a triple 8s mtb? I ran across an 8s mtb with 106 links and it didn't work right so I slapped on a chain with 110+ links and it worked fine. I'm not a pro bike mech, but I worked on it and finally came to the conclusion that the chain was too short. Should I tell my roommate to take the bike back to the shop since they messed up? (Its his bike and its pretty new.)

Thanks.
Old 02-02-07, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you need enough links to go over the big chainring, and the big cog at the same time.
Old 02-03-07, 02:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatFender
you need enough links to go over the big chainring, and the big cog at the same time.
Plus two links.
Old 02-03-07, 07:27 AM
JRA...

Bikes: trek 520 & 736, DeRosa Professional, Fuji Professional, Raleigh International 3-speed, Saronni (any info people?), Humber 3-speed, Raleigh Sports, Carlton Grand Prix coming soon!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by z415
Anyone know the "correct" number of links in a triple 8s mtb? I ran across an 8s mtb with 106 links and it didn't work right so I slapped on a chain with 110+ links and it worked fine. I'm not a pro bike mech, but I worked on it and finally came to the conclusion that the chain was too short. Should I tell my roommate to take the bike back to the shop since they messed up? (Its his bike and its pretty new.)
how did it not work right and what else did you do to it?
Old 02-03-07, 07:37 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Wrap your chain around the big/big combination bypassing the rear derailleur. Add 1 inch of chain onto that length. That's the shortest chain that will safely work with that gear combination.

A chain that's even 1 link shorter than that risks serious bike damage if you ever accidentally shift into the big/big combination.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 02-03-07 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 11:41 AM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by z415
Actually, you're counting half links, not links. It's 53 and 55+ links.

The length you need varies depending on the sizes of your largest front and rear sprockets, and the length of your chainstay.

I explain the correct way to size chains at: https://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment

Sheldon "Lynx" Brown