Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How about some oxyalic acid tips?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 02:42 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Things like what ratio of acid crystals to water, soak times, parts prep, and so on. The instructions on the container are for its intended use, and as such no use to us. If we could compile some basic instructions, I think a lot of folks would find it useful.
Old 01-31-07, 06:06 AM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Here's a solid two hours of reading on the subject: https://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=4;t=004702
Old 01-31-07, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've only been playing with OA for a couple months and am no expert so these suggestions shouldn't be written in stone. YMMV

De-grease parts before soaking.

Warm water speeds up the process.

1 teaspoon to a small bowl = 4 to 6 hours soak time.

1/4 cup to a 12" x 18" tub 4 inches deep = overnight

1/2 cup to a 18" x 36" container (under bed linen container) = 2 days and may require another 1/4 cup if the action seems to be slow going.

Generally, the larger the container, the less concentration of OA used (for economy purposes), thus the longer soaking times.

Use a white 3M pad to loosen the scale from time to time. I haven't been able to find white 3M's where I live so use a blue scratchless Scotchbrite pad instead.

Rinse off parts and then soak them in a water and baking soda bath(or use a BP paste) to stop the oxidation when finished. Blow dry, then use framesaver or Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector inside frames and bars, and polish outsides to prevent future corrosion.

I'll add more tips to this post as I think of them. Off to work now...

Last edited by McDave; 02-02-07 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-31-07, 07:36 AM
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
One thing I have noticed is that if you have zinc-coated things like bolt heads or derailler hangers the Oxalic acid can dull the previously shiny surface. Not sure if this is just a dull coating that can be removed with super fine sandpaper or if it is more permanent.
Old 01-31-07, 09:09 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by evwxxx
One thing I have noticed is that if you have zinc-coated things like bolt heads or derailler hangers the Oxalic acid can dull the previously shiny surface. Not sure if this is just a dull coating that can be removed with super fine sandpaper or if it is more permanent.
I don't think it is a dull coating, I believe the acid dissolves zinc and cad platings. If you watch the process, you will see bubbles coming off the zinc and cad plating.

In the hardware store, by the oven cleaner is a brass brush the size of a oversized toothbrush. It costs about $1.50 and won't scratch your chrome. I believe its intended use is to scrub your enamel coated oven without scratching it but it works wonders on that stubborn rust.
Old 02-01-07, 01:37 PM

Bikes: '78 Chris Kvale, '87 Paramount

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stay away from the brown oxyalic acid .
Old 02-01-07, 02:16 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)