Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 09:48 PM

Bikes: '98 Specialized stumpjumper M2 comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need help

need some help getting re-focued, back on the bike, i've taken the last two months off, but can't seem to pull myself through. I really need to get motivated again. Any words of encouragement will help......
Old 01-22-07, 02:15 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had to take a month off due to repairs and vacation. When I started back (last week) I had to ease myself into it. Try a few leisurely rides somewhere fun. Make small easily obtainable goals at first. Good luck.
Old 01-22-07, 05:25 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
(51) has it right, start easy, and plan on doing something fun for your rides. You don't have to hit the ground running, and me at the same level of motivation, or fitness you were at. The biggest thing to remember is that you are doing this for you! As it happens, I just posted an article about motivation a couple of days ago. It's actually about motivation and weight loss, but it's sti;; about motivation. Here's the link!
https://theamazingshrinkingclydes.blo...f-to-lose.html

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 01-22-07, 06:34 AM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Run some errands on the bike stop for a cup of coffee soemwhere, or do a few laps on the trainer while watching the game. If it's the cold weather, I can understand that......that is what the trainer is for.

Old 01-22-07, 07:20 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 1,009 Posts
I did this in November as I had a really bad month, only 149 miles total. I got bummed as I kept having equipment issues and physical issues with my right knee. I remember on my Birthday, Dec 1, my wife mentioned that she was sad to see that I looked like I had lost my desire to lose the weight and get that new bike. That really hit me hard and I have been rededicated and since that point, I have lost 22 lbs and ridden almost 500 miles in 23 rides. While not huge numbers by some standards, it's great in my book.

You might want to use something as a prize as some motivation, new bike, vacation, something that you will be proud to talk about. I have a goal in the first quarter to ride my first metric. I'm getting closer to getting that as I rode 45 miles on Saturday.

I also agree with the others, take a few shorts rides and get physically used to the bike again. Before you know it, you will be back and rolling.

Old 01-22-07, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks fellas, as soon as i get over this cold ill put some miles on, just for fun without the hr monitor. I appreciate all of your comments.
Old 01-22-07, 09:24 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Get back on your bike and ride, I don't care if you are sick, wounded or heart-broken and I don't care if you ride around the block or around the world - just go ride. Do you want to be a lazy, fat, big-mac sucking cager and make me come out there and put my foot up your okole?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-22-07, 11:03 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm in your boat too. Around Christmas time I tried on an old tux that I haven't tried on since HS. Despite being a little short it was only about one size too small which I thought was pretty good. My parents response? "Looks like you need to go on a diet" This is after knowing that I've been and have been riding. Seriously, that was the last day I entered stuff in Fitday. Amazing how quick one comment can kill your motivation and ego. I broke up with my gf two weeks ago because I know I need that motivation and she was also making me feel worse in different ways.

Trying to get my road bike in riding shape, just replaced the cables/stem/handlebars so just need to dial it in. Been riding a few miles here and there (yeah Tom - I owe ya some...chalk it up to this whole feeling of blah and not proud of what few miles I have compared to what I was doing) but need to get back on the wagon. I thought about it this morning - I didn't fall off as much as it balked and ran me over.

Also incredible how one meal seems to wipe out two months of work. I like a challenge but it's like walking a tightrope - in two weeks I gained 8 pounds and didn't even go hog wild.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 01-22-07, 11:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chipcom, you crack me up! I love that Emo Philips quote, too. So true the way people are these days.

My motivation is that in 6 months I will be climbing this huge block of granite called Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. I started at 345 pounds in August 2006 the last time I was at Yosemite (also the first time I was there). This year I am resolved to get under 275lb before I climb Half Dome. Its a 17 mile hike, with some extreme climbing to get up the actual Half Dome rock itself. I don't want to destroy my knees, hence the 275lb goal. You can do it!
Old 01-22-07, 11:18 AM
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
One thing that might help is get something new for your bike. Don't know if you need anything new for your bike like tires, or just go out and spend $10 on different colored bar tape you might like. Buying something small like that might help to get you started riding again.

Me, I just bought a new pair of high end cycling shorts. They fit great and feel soooo much better than the less expensive pairs I own. I can't wait until my ride this coming Friday when I will have a chance to try them out.

Last edited by yeamac; 01-22-07 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-22-07, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll echo what others have said - don't look at it like something you 'have' to do. Mix it up a bit. Borrow a beach cruiser or BMX bike and ride a couple of blocks to the nearest coffee shop. Find a mulit-use-trail nearby and ride slowly, looking at the scenery (if the weather's nice, there may be some fitness-oriented eye candy ). Head to a bike shop and look at the new tech that you'll reward yourself with as you reach your goals in the future.

HTH,
Jim
Old 01-22-07, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Start out easy, like others said, then set an attainable goal for yourself. I have commited to doing my first cat 5 bike race in march, come hell or high water. So far this goal has helped me lose 13 more pounds and gotten me to do better, more effective workouts. I don't have the time to put in big miles, but by doing spinervals and weights, I can tell that I am getting into much better shape. In February I will be going out on more group rides, even though I will be busy. My goal is to not get dropped and not finish last,
Juan
Old 01-22-07, 12:45 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in the same boat, except worse, I haven't made any significant rides since early December. And before that nothing at all to write home about. The winter has really kicked my ass in a bad way. Hell, I haven't been to the gym to the spinning classes since before Christmas . Yeah, it's getting bad, and the one tonight is going to suck.

However, I found inspiration in moving. I'm moving into a house with my soon-to-be-wife at the end of Feb, and the distance to work is going to make for a great singlespeed commute. AND to motivate me, she's buying me a new SS bike. However, I really need to kick some ass in the next month to get my body into shape for it. Right out of the driveway for three blocks there is a hell of a hill, and if I want any prayer of making it up that hill on a 70inch-geared bike, I'm going to need to do some work.

Ironically the most depressing part for me is that I haven't been there and am falling out of shape. You would think that would be a motivator, but it's almost a complex. Yeeuch.

Oh well, I know the new bike is going to be a huge motivator, and I'm going to love the commute. I just need to DO IT. Like others said, no matter what, just go out. Even if it's around the block, you have to start somewhere.
Old 01-22-07, 02:04 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Agreed with what people are saying - even Chipcom (careful, he may be serious).

I like the idea that you start where ever you are today. Don't worry about yesterday, not much you can do about it. Just get on the bike and enjoy. Ride a little. If you want, ride more, if not, put it away. What often works well for me to get back into it is ride a little LESS than I want, that means I will be back riding very soon.
Old 01-22-07, 02:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmilk9
need some help getting re-focued, back on the bike, i've taken the last two months off, but can't seem to pull myself through. I really need to get motivated again. Any words of encouragement will help......

This may sound a bit harsh or unsympathetic but here goes....

As someone who spent a decade and a half as an UBER Clyde and was the master of reasons I couldn't lose weight or work out let me tell you a little secret.

As each day passes we aren't getting any younger, the damage we are doing to our bodies by not eating well and exercising isn't diminishing. Eating right and working out have to become things you just "do" even if you aren't feeling particularly motivated.

I am only 37 years old but if I thought in order to stay a healthy weight and exercise regularly I would have to keep motivated for the next 40 or so years I would give up. Eating right and exercise have to become part of who you are or every few months you will find yourself right back where you are now.

When I first started working out I treated my daily workout like a payment I owed a big ugly loan-shark that would break my legs if I missed it. I think in that year I missed something like 8 - 10 days. Now I actually feel guilty if I miss a day I usually have to force myself to take time off.

What I am trying to say is you need to try to change your relationship with exercise. Make exercise into something that you do daily just like breathing. The long term payoff of being fit is priceless. Once you reach that goal you, will wonder why motivation was ever a problem.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 01-22-07, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try a new bike. Get a compact folder and take a bus plane or train somewhere. Recumbent? Rowbike?

Try a new path. Investigate the local area. Get a map and see if there are any areas near you you have not seen, even if they are just more cookie cutter subdivisions.

You might try roller blading for a while.
Old 01-22-07, 04:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scott, the secret is to "keep it fun." Mix up your rides, vary your routes, speed, and mileage. Find things to enjoy on your way. Smile at folks you see as you ride by. Know that as you ride, you may actually turn someone on to the enjoyment of riding. You don't have to get all technical by computing this and that, keep it simple, enjoy the journey, & keep it fun! -JB
Old 01-22-07, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You folks are all correct and to be honest i need someone like chipcom to put the boot in my rear. To be completely honest one of the reasons i quit riding was due to a political argument on one of the local boards, i know that sounds silly and pretty childish, but i was a little p'd off and slowly getting my motivation back, seems a little ironic, my first issue of bicycling came in the mail today too.... I'll get back on and ride and keep it fun, I'll try and keep you guys posted, thanks for all the words of encouragment. If anyone comes down to the phoenix area, look me up for a ride.
Old 01-22-07, 06:29 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ping Noisebeam in the A&S forums, he's from the Phoenix area too and I can send him over to put a boot in your rear if you want, but he'll prolly just teach you to ride in traffic as good as he does.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-22-07, 06:57 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmilk9
..... i've taken the last two months off......
My rule #1 - don't ever get in the habit of NOT riding. Even if you only go for a 5-10 mile milk run, make sure it is part of your routine. Once I stay off the bike for for any length of time, it's easier to not get back on.

S. J. Perelman