Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Yamaguchi classes...

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Yamaguchi classes...

Old 12-26-06, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yamaguchi classes...

what are they like? I would really like some first hand stories, information, descriptions, etc. of what people's experiences were with the frame building classes with Koichi Yamaguchi. Especially what his teaching methods were like. Feel free to PM. Thanks!!!
Old 12-26-06, 12:43 PM

Bikes: custom track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just got back from the yamaguchi frame building class. all in all very good, and i now have a shiny new track bike! the class was very intensive and only had 2 other students, one you might know, eric a messenger from denver who used to work in baltimore. we spent the first couple of days practicing to braze, but actually started our frames on the second day. on the first day we figured out geomtetry and sizes, then the second day we started to mitering our tubes. everything was done by hand, so this step was quite time consuming. towards the end of the first week we started to tack our frames togther, which was done by early on the second week. then the actual brazing took place towards the middle of the week. because we pretty much jumped into building our frames early on, when the brazing actually started kiochi would start the brazing to show you the technique, but you would do most of it. the only negative thing was that he didn t explain how you size the frame, we wrote down our body dimensions and he calculated the size for us, but it was probably our fault for not asking. other than that, i learned a lot from him, he was a very chilled out easy going guy, with plenty of insider cycling stories. and i feel i learned enough to start making frames now, thought it will still take loads of practice to get it down. the school s in a tiny town called rifle, which was cool cause there wasn t any night time distractions to produce next day hangover. i highly recommend the class
Old 12-26-06, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
Cool. Are the costs of the materials covered in the price of the course or is that extra? Got any pics of your new frame?
Old 12-27-06, 12:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Cool. Are the costs of the materials covered in the price of the course or is that extra? Got any pics of your new frame?

It is part of your fee, JS.

S/F,
CEYA!