Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Adjustable stems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adjustable stems

This probably isn't the right forum but whatever.

I'm interested in an adjustable stem as I'm always swapping out bar/stem combinations. What I want to know is if anyone knows whether an adjustable stem that can be adjusted on the fly exists - like something I can adjust during the ride, without an allen wrench.

It would be sweet to be able to drop my risers mid-commute when i'm sprinting and raise them up when cruising without pulling over.
Old 12-01-06, 12:12 AM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never heard of anything like this. Not to be a smart-ass, but most of us attain multiple positions by running bars that give you multiple positions.
Old 12-01-06, 02:13 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Youll have a damn hard time finding something that's both safe/ solid enough to use and adjustable without any tools.
Old 12-01-06, 02:46 AM
Fissato Italiano

Bikes: Fixed Gear & Single Speed Only

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look Ergostem

Old 12-01-06, 03:19 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Last I checked that requires a hex key to adjust. Pretty sure this isn't what he meant by "without a hex wrench".
Old 12-01-06, 09:08 AM
puvpntb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard that the look ergostem is adjustable to let you figure out what rise/length you want
Old 12-01-06, 10:16 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gregg
I've heard that the look ergostem is adjustable to let you figure out what rise/length you want
Seriously???!1?!onetwo
Old 12-01-06, 10:37 AM
Crapzeit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing I can think of would be swapping out the hex bolts in an ergo stem (or something like an ergo stem) with QR bolts. That would be really sketchy and probably a recipe for broken teeth.

m.
Old 12-01-06, 10:48 AM
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
by 'on the fly' do you mean without getting off the bike ?
otherwise you could just carry an allen wrench with you

or, like someone said,
you could get drop bars and ride on the tops when cruising and on the drops when sprinting
Old 12-01-06, 05:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is unstable when I sprint in the drops but bullhorns, with a really steep slopping stem, sprint fine. And ya, being able to adjust them stem while riding would be really nice - like a button or something.

Anyways I think i'm going to buy the ritchey pro adjustable stem because I think that's a good name and it's like 50 bucks. I'm pretty sure I could probably never afford that Look stem.
Old 12-01-06, 05:31 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pat dasein
My bike is unstable when I sprint in the drops but bullhorns, with a really steep slopping stem, sprint fine. And ya, being able to adjust them stem while riding would be really nice - like a button or something.

then you just need different drops.
Old 12-01-06, 05:35 PM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you need to adjust the nut gripping the bars; millions of other riders don't seem to have this problem. Seriously, though, if you can't sprint in the drops, and that's how you want to ride, your bike doesn't fit. An adjustable might help you find what fits, but usually after that people ditch them for something lighter and less lame.

Also, don't pay $50 for an adjustable stem, just walk into a shop and give them $10 for one they took off of a hybrid or something. Of course, if it's a good shop they'll help you dial in your fit and then sell you the stem you actually need.
Old 12-02-06, 12:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Landgolier
Sounds like you need to adjust the nut gripping the bars; millions of other riders don't seem to have this problem. Seriously, though, if you can't sprint in the drops, and that's how you want to ride, your bike doesn't fit. An adjustable might help you find what fits, but usually after that people ditch them for something lighter and less lame.

Also, don't pay $50 for an adjustable stem, just walk into a shop and give them $10 for one they took off of a hybrid or something. Of course, if it's a good shop they'll help you dial in your fit and then sell you the stem you actually need.
When I say sprint, I mean out of saddle sprinting - something track drop drops aren't designed for. You weren't paying attention to the OP or the follow-up post. I'm interested in an adjustable stem so I can utilize various bars, and idealy, different angles on the fly. I don't need any shopping tip advice either, but thanks
Old 12-02-06, 12:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
then you just need different drops.
As far as mainstream drops go (nitto b123, deda pista, 3t, etc), the reach and drop are basically the same. The only real variable is the bar width. I'm six foot, averagely porpotioned and have used deda pista. Sprinting in the drops was uncomfortable (using various frames/pedal/stem combos), so what kind of drop bar would really differentiates itself from this setup?
Old 12-02-06, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Road drops?
Old 12-02-06, 01:28 AM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I say sprint, I mean out of saddle sprinting - something track drop drops aren't designed for. You weren't paying attention to the OP or the follow-up post.
And you're not paying attention to dutret, or I guess really to yourself. If your bar setup isn't working for you, change them shizts up.

Seriously, there are two options here. Either the entire bike universe has entirely overlooked this problem and only a non-existent part will fix it, or this isn't actually a problem if you set your bike up correctly using the parts everybody else seems to get by with.

PS -- Since this thread is headed nowhere good, I suggest we table the current business and adjourn for appreciation of what a cutie Kate Bates is.

Old 12-02-06, 01:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Landgolier
And you're not paying attention to dutret, or I guess really to yourself. If your bar setup isn't working for you, change them shizts up.

Seriously, there are two options here. Either the entire bike universe has entirely overlooked this problem and only a non-existent part will fix it, or this isn't actually a problem if you set your bike up correctly using the parts everybody else seems to get by with.

PS -- Since this thread is headed nowhere good, I suggest we table the current business and adjourn for appreciation of what a cutie Kate Bates is.

Uh, I guess you're right. No one on bike forums, especially the singlespeed & fixed gear forum regulars are ever interested in various bar options. I must be way out of line - especially if I'm not taking dutret's advice.

By the way, your internet girlfriend isn't that hot. Try and get over chicks that ride bicycles.
Old 12-02-06, 02:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I say sprint, I mean out of saddle sprinting - something track drop drops aren't designed for. You weren't paying attention to the OP or the follow-up post. I'm interested in an adjustable stem so I can utilize various bars, and idealy, different angles on the fly. I don't need any shopping tip advice either, but thanks
Wait, so you want to carry extra bars around so you can switch them on the fly? this seems silly cause you don't even want to carry an allen wrench.
Old 12-02-06, 03:20 AM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're interested in various bar options, there's plenty of good advice to be had around here, just ask. What's your bike, what setups have you tried, and what isn't working for you?

If you're interested in some jingus push button adjustable stem rig that does what you say you want it to do and doesn't have any slop or weigh a ton, you're out of luck unless you're applying to college this month, in which case PM me and we'll talk mechanical engineering programs.

If you want an adjustable stem and don't believe the advice you've gotten here or in the 97 other threads you could search for that will all say it might be worth getting a cheap one if you really want to road test your fit, but you'll ultimately want to ditch it and get a lighter and more solid piece that gives you a correct fit. If you swap bars a lot and want different positions, just get different stems -- stems sell for like 25% of retail on ebay because people are constantly swapping them to dial in fit.

If it's ok with you, I'm going to hold off on getting over chicks that ride bikes for a while, I'm pretty happy with the one I'm with now.
Old 12-02-06, 06:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want an adjustable stem because I cycle through many different bars.

For some bars, I'd like to be able to adjust the drop on the fly, if that's possible.

Sorry this was too complicated for some of you guys to understand.
Old 12-02-06, 08:39 AM
what.

Bikes: raleigh rush hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's not too complicated. just really ********.
Old 12-02-06, 09:30 AM
Crapzeit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I feel bad about myself for being dumb! What a way to start a weekend!
Old 12-02-06, 10:38 AM
TRUED 'TIL DEATH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with finding a stem that fits when you're at the LBS, instead of "adjusting on the fly"? I have many different pairs of bars, and a different stem on each of them (all that i got used from the LBS cheap). That way, i find one that works with the bars, and when I want to use those ones, I just drop 'em in and ride.
Old 12-02-06, 10:43 AM
knucklehead

Bikes: Rocky MT Track, Vivalo, Pista Concept, De Bernardi Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For some bars, I'd like to be able to adjust the drop on the fly, if that's possible.

maybe I'm reading your 'want' wrong but you when you say "adjust the drop on the fly" you mean to loosen your stem and change it while riding the bike?

I may have had only 2 cups of coffee but that sounds pretty darn unsafe to me.

Studio
Old 12-02-06, 10:51 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-For different bars get different stems. For the performance and cost of an adjustable you can buy a selection of cheap non-adjustable stems(each of which give you two angles to choose from and more imporantly can have different lengths).

-If you need to figure out what length and angle works for you save up and buy the look. Figure out what you need then ebay it. They usually at or above what you end of paying retail.

-Adjusting on the fly is not possible and even if it was would be a bad idea. In practice I really doubt you are actually going to get off your bike and adjust your bars at the bottom of every hill or before every sprint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.