Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clyde-sized bibs?

Old 11-28-06, 07:47 PM
HEY! I'm talkin' to YOU!

Bikes: Trek 7.5/FX 2006, 1980's Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clyde-sized bibs?

I am new to bike clothes, and 5' 11'' but well over 200 lbs, so I have a waist-size issue with most cycling clothes. I have a pair of XXL bike shorts (PI) that fit great, though I have some waistband rollover. I keep reading about the advantages & comfort of bibs. The trouble is, I don't want to cough up $150 (gulp!) for something that fits my waist, but has droopy straps. Is sizing too hard to permit internet shopping? I invite your constructive comments. I can't be alone in this.
Old 11-28-06, 07:50 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 230lbs. I get my bibs from Velowear.com, size XL.

They fit great, cost less than $50, and they have a no hassle/no cost return policy. If it doesn't fit, send it back in the postage paid envelope they provide.

S. J. Perelman
Old 11-28-06, 08:42 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Performance has good prices also. I'm 5'8, 240 and I buy large bibs...otherwise they are way too long.
Old 11-28-06, 08:53 PM
HEY! I'm talkin' to YOU!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, the key factor in fitting is the strap length? Is the waist size is pretty stretchy? Would sizes L, XL, XXL all fit the range of 40-44" waists?
Old 11-28-06, 10:33 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritz_S
So, the key factor in fitting is the strap length? Is the waist size is pretty stretchy? Would sizes L, XL, XXL all fit the range of 40-44" waists?
They're pretty stretchy, spandex does that well. I wear a 2X at 6'3" and 229, w/ a 42 waist in my Sugoi Knicker Bibs.

Size is based more on height than weight. I can wear an XL, but can't get the straps on the shoulder

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 11-29-06, 12:05 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Size is based on height, because they assume most cyclists are pretty thin. I wear a 36/30 in jeans and find most cycling clothing to be too long. depending on your definition of 'well over 200 lbs' you shouldn't have much problem at all. I don't even buy cycling shorts. the waistband tightness is uncomfortable. I wear bibs for indoor workouts; easier to breathe.
Old 11-29-06, 11:03 AM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dial_tone
Size is based on height, because they assume most cyclists are pretty thin. I wear a 36/30 in jeans and find most cycling clothing to be too long. depending on your definition of 'well over 200 lbs' you shouldn't have much problem at all. I don't even buy cycling shorts. the waistband tightness is uncomfortable. I wear bibs for indoor workouts; easier to breathe.
Do you know this to be true?

Not trying to be difficult but this contradicts my experience and the sizing charts on Nashbar. ------>

I'm 6'1" down to a 42" waist. I find that I am a little more comfy in XLs now than I was 6" of waist ago. (Well, truth be told after last week, 5" of waist ago...)

I think the Nashbar Century Gel Bibs are great. But I've never spent big money on shorts so I have no comparison.
Old 11-29-06, 11:50 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hambone
Do you know this to be true?

Not trying to be difficult but this contradicts my experience and the sizing charts on Nashbar. ------>

I'm 6'1" down to a 42" waist. I find that I am a little more comfy in XLs now than I was 6" of waist ago. (Well, truth be told after last week, 5" of waist ago...)

I think the Nashbar Century Gel Bibs are great. But I've never spent big money on shorts so I have no comparison.
In my experience it is true. It's harder for you to notice because you are taller. I've been cycling for 14 years now and as you go up in size most brands get longer faster than they get bigger around. I'll give you some examples.

- I bought a pair of large Pearl Izumi knee warmers recently. They're supposed to go from mid-thigh to extreme upper calf. At 5'8 If I pull them all the way to my butt they still cover most of my calf. On the other hand I have an old pair of medium Pearl Izumi leg warmers. They fit fine length-wise and are not much tighter than the knee warmers.

- I have a XXL Canari jersey that fits me like a skirt. It covers my butt entirely. I need XL in this brand. It must be club cut because even XXL is tight in a racing cut jersey.

- I have some Performance Century Gel Bibs. A friend said it best, they feel like you're sitting on someone else's ass.

Even though by any definition I am a huge guy, albeit short, I have to buy bike clothes a size smaller than I'd prefer just so they won't be ridiculously long.

In street clothes I wear a 38/30 slacks and 36/30 jeans.
Old 11-29-06, 01:23 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
It's been my experience that different brands fit way differently. For example, I wear a size L in Performance bibs. With the Volers, I can fit into a L but the XL fits much better. Voler brand runs small compared to Performance.

S. J. Perelman
Old 11-30-06, 05:50 PM
No really...I flatted

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert, Felt SC1, Specialized Hardrock Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every brand fits different for sure. I've bought Canari (sp?) the last couple of times and the XL seems to fit well. The Nashbar gel bibs at $49 fit good too. I'm 6" and 220 lbs. I wear 36/32 jeans.
Old 11-30-06, 09:51 PM
HEY! I'm talkin' to YOU!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has been a very helpful discussion - and I hope to others besides me. Clearly, all Clydes are not shaped the same - I am betting 2XL fits me best, but I think I will have to start at my local store first, or one of those outlets with good return policies that were mentioned. Of course, now I need leg coverings ....
Old 12-01-06, 04:04 AM
I'm Just Sayin'.....

Bikes: A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
give the volers a shot. the bib is great and the straps have a ton of play in them!!! plus theyre cheap as hell!!!
Old 12-01-06, 12:10 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have not used their bibs but their shorts are the best I have ever found. This is a small company and make all their clothing in Pennsylvania. They have a very informative web site.

Aerotech Bibs
Old 12-06-06, 02:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a shock the other day. I ordered Performance Ultra bibs size large. I already had the Elites and Century Gel in that size. I got the Ultras and couldn't even get them past my knees. I could hear the seams ripping. They felt like Pearl Izumi smalls! Needless I returned to the nearest store.
Old 12-06-06, 02:39 PM
Tires- 2 skinny, one fat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
I'm 5'11" and 230lbs. I get my bibs from Velowear.com, size XL.

They fit great, cost less than $50, and they have a no hassle/no cost return policy. If it doesn't fit, send it back in the postage paid envelope they provide.
I just picked up a great pair of Victory Brewing Company XL bib shorts from Velo. They are awesome and were under $50 on closeout!

I like the Victory shorts almost as much as I like Victory Hopdevil.
Old 03-16-07, 10:12 AM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Anyone know any bibs that have generous waist, but not-so-long-it-covers-my-knees inseam?
Old 03-16-07, 10:43 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

The usual source:
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/bibshort.htm

Old 03-16-07, 12:49 PM
old biker

Bikes: Giant MTB / '74 Schwinn Varsity / Maruschi Road Ace 303

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not trying to be funny or off color here but, I bought a pair of bibs numerous years ago when a group of us Clydes decided to race the 24hrs of Canaan(MTB). The fit was right, they felt good, but when it came time to drain off some protien drinks and water...the bibs were a pain in the @$$! At my size I'm not in a habit of going around shirtless. Bottomline, I haven't worn them since although the lack of a waistband was nice.
Old 03-16-07, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by tci2
Not trying to be funny or off color here but, I bought a pair of bibs numerous years ago when a group of us Clydes decided to race the 24hrs of Canaan(MTB). The fit was right, they felt good, but when it came time to drain off some protien drinks and water...the bibs were a pain in the @$$! At my size I'm not in a habit of going around shirtless. Bottomline, I haven't worn them since although the lack of a waistband was nice.
That's an issue with bibs, Stretch the front down and pull the bits up and over and you can drain to your hearts content!

Old 03-16-07, 01:09 PM
old biker

Bikes: Giant MTB / '74 Schwinn Varsity / Maruschi Road Ace 303

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hopeing for a response like yours, thanks.
Old 03-16-07, 01:30 PM
a van down by the river

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Trek 6500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shakeNbake
Anyone know any bibs that have generous waist, but not-so-long-it-covers-my-knees inseam?
Pearl Izumi's - I am 5'10" 260#, 44-46' waist, they fit, and are not too long.
Old 03-16-07, 01:32 PM
a van down by the river

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Trek 6500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and speaking of bibs, am I the only one who hates to wear these in public? :-) I usually wear Pearl Mtn Bike Impact shorts...
Old 03-16-07, 02:08 PM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
That's an issue with bibs, Stretch the front down and pull the bits up and over and you can drain to your hearts content!
Mindfull of this, some brands have higher fronts than others. And when you are doing this, it helps if you kind of shrug and bend at the waist.

Truth be told, the discomfort of having to pee in bibs is such a small fraction of the additional comfort they provide on the ride that this would never stop me from wearing bibs. Just the fact that I never have to worry about anybody behind me getting a little extra view of my... bacon... well, that is enough.

On a real concreate note: I was always a discount Nashbar/Perofrmance on sale kind of bib purchaser. If they were more than $50, I waited.

Santa brought me a pair of Pearl Izumi's. I told Santa I didn't want to get used to the better bibs. SO I hadn't worn them.

Yesterday everythign else was dirty. So I pulled them out. Like butter. Holy cow they are comfy!
Slice UltraSensor® Bib Short #0186

This could be a costly learning eperience.

<edit>
I should have included, I hav ethe XXL. I am 6'2". I wear a 42" pant. (Like most fat guys, I wear them on the hips so this is not really a waist measurment.) YMMV...

Did I mention they are really comfy?

Oh, and I don't mind wearing cycle shorts in public anymore. I work at a religious institution, so I was super self-conscious when I started riding to work everyday. They are kind of immodest. So, at first I wore sweats/sweat shorts over them. After a few weeks I stopped doing that and didn't even realise I wasn't covering up.
Old 03-16-07, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hambone
Mindfull of this, some brands have higher fronts than others. And when you are doing this, it helps if you kind of shrug and bend at the waist.

Truth be told, the discomfort of having to pee in bibs is such a small fraction of the additional comfort they provide on the ride that this would never stop me from wearing bibs. Just the fact that I never have to worry about anybody behind me getting a little extra view of my... bacon... well, that is enough.

On a real concreate note: I was always a discount Nashbar/Perofrmance on sale kind of bib purchaser. If they were more than $50, I waited.

Santa brought me a pair of Pearl Izumi's. I told Santa I didn't want to get used to the better bibs. SO I hadn't worn them.

Yesterday everythign else was dirty. So I pulled them out. Like butter. Holy cow they are comfy!
Slice UltraSensor® Bib Short #0186

This could be a costly learning eperience.

<edit>
I should have included, I hav ethe XXL. I am 6'2". I wear a 42" pant. (Like most fat guys, I wear them on the hips so this is not really a waist measurment.) YMMV...

Did I mention they are really comfy?

Oh, and I don't mind wearing cycle shorts in public anymore. I work at a religious institution, so I was super self-conscious when I started riding to work everyday. They are kind of immodest. So, at first I wore sweats/sweat shorts over them. After a few weeks I stopped doing that and didn't even realise I wasn't covering up.
My favorite set of bibs is a set of SUGOi Bib knicks.....talk about comfort! XXL/TTG is the size, and I wear 40 waist jeans now....lost another two inches! WOOHOO!

Old 03-16-07, 03:45 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Dogbait
I have not used their bibs but their shorts are the best I have ever found. This is a small company and make all their clothing in Pennsylvania. They have a very informative web site.

Aerotech Bibs
I have used their shorts for a while, but I bought my first set of bibs from Aerotech and I will never go back to shorts. These things are great. I use a 3x and the fit is great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.