Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

November commuting challenge!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 10:21 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

For those in somewhat northern areas, November can be the first real test of resolve. Many of us will see our first REAL snow this month, we'll be exposed to coworkers and family members bringing us colds and other problems that will push us towards the dark side. If you started with the October challenge, keep it up! If not, it's a good time to start.

I personally started taking these challenges back when DogBoy originally posted them back in January, and I've only missed one week this year so far, back in March.

The challenge is to set a goal to commute every day by bike. Some people allow a few emergency/sick days. You may have to exclude certain days of the week for errands or what-have-you. It's really up to you and what you feel is achievable, but don't sell yourself short. Aim high.

This is totally up to you. You can start any time. There is no prize apart from pride, and no consequences for failure other than your own disappointment. This is all about setting your own goals and reaching them. And a little public bragging when you do.

For reference,
October commuting challenge

I'll start a separate thread each month throughout the winter. Take one day, one week, one month at a time, and you'll rack up more days than you probably thought possible!
Old 10-30-06, 10:50 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Well, I didn't do so great on the October challenge , so I'll give it another shot this upcoming month.
Last week I drove to work all week. I was just feeling burnt out and needed a rest, so I took a week off. Now I'm back on the bike and feeling really refreshed and good.
Old 10-30-06, 11:31 AM
Sneetch

Bikes: 19?? Peugeot Monaco | 199? Trek Antelope 830 | 2005 Bianchi Castro Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in. October was pretty easy. I've been riding every day (5 days/week). Did the same through November last year. December was the month I dropped out in the past, but I've been dropping a bit of cash for gear this month to try and position myself where I can find no more excuses not to ride all winter, so see y'all then!
Old 10-30-06, 11:36 AM
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same with me, Clifton. This past month has been a total bear. Too much to do with too little to go on. Things should be calming down this month and giving me more opportunities.

I'm game for this month's challenge!
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 10-30-06, 11:46 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I think I'm looking at 18 days in the office for Nov. I might be feeling a sick day coming on for Weds though. If I took it tomorrow I'd probably be fine Weds, but have can't miss event tomorrow.
Old 10-30-06, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got hit by a car in September, and I think I'm finally healed up, so here's to a fresh start - I'm in.
Old 10-30-06, 12:06 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Kind of a cheat for NorCal, since October/November is by far the best time of year to ride. But count me in anyway.
Old 10-30-06, 12:11 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me in. By the way, most of you know this already, but I have found that the absolute best way to ensure that I will ride no matter what is to have the fenders on, ready to go regardless of weather and to lay out all of my warm layering clothes the night before. Also, a spare bike is very nice to have for those rare flat tire mornings. Personally, I maintain a ss converter and a fully rigid mtb for commuting and try to keep both of them ridable at a moment's notice. I have fenders on both although the fenders on the mtb are quick release.
Old 10-30-06, 12:22 PM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think I've missed a total of 5 trips since I started bike commuting back in mid-May. All but 1 of those trips was due to mechanical problems with my bike. The other trip was when my bad knee was hurting really bad and I put the bike on the bus rack.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 10-31-06, 08:40 AM
Commuter hits the trail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in. However, I only ride home, and to pick up the kid at day care.
Old 10-31-06, 08:52 AM
Commuter

Bikes: Felt F1x, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in....time to pin the ears back and "just do it" (thanks, Nike). Last night was interesting as it got dark real fast on the way home. I was expecting it, but it was still something new. Need to be a bit more careful now on the way home.
Old 10-31-06, 09:05 AM
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All right, I missed most of the October Challenge thread though I was commuting by bike anyway. But count me in for November. I'm currently only working three days a week (M-W-F), so that gives me 13 commuting days this month. Assuming I get a real job lined up this month, that number may increase. Either way, while I've been bike commuting for a while, I've never done a 6-mile commute in the winter. The weather's going to get much colder very soon, so we'll see how it works. November is also one of the worst months for pollution here, so I don't know what sort of effect that will have.
Old 10-31-06, 09:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to try and do 8 days this month.

November is that start of hockey season for me which means I can't ride on the days I play (2x a week) or on the day after I play. There is no way I'm playing hockey till 11pm and getting up the next morning to ride.

So Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday are all car days. That gives me Tuesday and Friday to commute by bike. Let's give it a shot. For the record, I have never ridden into November, I've always stopped when we changed the clock, but not with my new L&M ARC!!!
Old 10-31-06, 03:06 PM
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Kind of a cheat for NorCal, since October/November is by far the best time of year to ride. But count me in anyway.
Same here!

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 10-31-06, 03:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Of course, it's supposed to rain on Thursday so that's our first challenge!
Old 10-31-06, 03:38 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I work only four days a week and will lose two days in November to holidays. So 14 days is the most commuting I can do. Shouldn't be a problem. Don't own a car and I've used the bus only once since I bought my bike in March.

Still, there's shopping, Tuesday night group rides and planning a metric century for Veteran's Day.
Old 11-01-06, 12:22 AM

Bikes: Road, TT, mountain and 'cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in. I'm allowing myself to drive on Mondays (carry my stuff in for the week in the car, and run any errands for the week that I need the car for), and some Fridays (if my wife has to work Friday night and I have to get home early to watch my daughter, then I'll drive, otherwise I ride).
Old 11-01-06, 06:24 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just rolled my bike over 4000 miles for the year this morning. I ride 100 miles a week, so it looks like there's no way I'll hit 5000 by end of year, especially with thanksgiving and xmas vacation in there (though that's only 4 days off for me). Still, I should easily top 4600, and that's not too bad.

Two months to go on the 2006 challenge!
Old 11-01-06, 07:21 AM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1/1 Still not at 100% physically. My goal is to ride as much as I can.
Old 11-01-06, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I have to drive to clients 2 days a week, I can only bike 13 days, with holidays. I also have to consider that I may have meetings come up with schools or insurance companies, so Ill shoot for 10 days this month, as I only started commuting october 30th and november first, today, is my first commute and Im halfway done.
Old 11-01-06, 08:18 AM
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work 14 days in november (going to mexico for a week).
Hope to bicycle commute all 14 days.

Yesterday I got really disappointed when a truck flashed his lights and honked behind me after following me for a couple of blocks. Then another truck nearly hit me, then slowed down and yelled that he hopes I get run over. But yesterday was a good commute home and this morn was a nice commute in.
Old 11-01-06, 09:22 AM

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa, Batavus Entrada, MEC Origami Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is great - I think I really need this, since this is my first winter commuting by bike. My goal is 20 days during November.
Old 11-01-06, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far so good, November 1st.

I woke up to a beautiful sunrise and almost 60F. Wow, this "winter" commuting isn't to bad after all!!!

Next week it'll be back down in the 30's in the morning, then we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-01-06, 10:38 AM

One for one. And got sprinkled on during the last half mile. I noticed that mine was the only bike at the rack.
Old 11-01-06, 11:09 AM

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
day one, Doing good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.