Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Recipes - weight loss/energy/riding

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 08:03 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Post all your 'good' recipes for losing weight and ride energy here! I'll start.

So, I've been hooked on oat pancakes for breakfast:

Originally Posted by SimonEd
Oatmeal has been my fuel of choice for a long time. Its easy to make nice sweet snacks too that are not messy and keep great if you cant get to a fridge.

Get a cup of Oatmeal (Regular Quaker stuff that looks like horse food) and throw it in a food blender to make a coarse flour. Put that in a cereal bowl with just enough milk to make a consistency like plaster of Paris. Then add a couple of spoons of natural honey and stir it in well. Put the sticky mix into a non stick fry pan with no oil. Tamp it down to about 8mm thick and put it on a low heat. Cook and flip and then slide it out of the pan (it should have been dry/stick enough that it should leave no mess at all) then slice it up like a Pizza and there you have about 4-500 calories of perfect biking fuel
My 'improvements' as of late to that:

- 1 cup of oats
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin (I have a can of pumpkin pie filling (just pumpkin) and spoon out a tablespoon a day)
- honey
- pumpkin pie spice (has some cinamon, ginger, nutmeg)
- a little milk

In a food processor I throw in everything and blend together, then make the pancake. I find for my particular processor it works better by putting the apple and pumpkin first and everything on top. The last thing is a few drops of milk (I use a can of nonfat evaporated milk - lasts a long time and I don't drink milk otherwise). If you have too much pumpkin in there the middle won't cook - though it won't taste bad even if it doesn't

Super filling!

===================================================

I've also made my own hummus lately:

- 1 can of chick peas
- 1 clove of garlic (more if you'd like)
- a little olive oil

Throw in a food processor/blender until smooth. I took a half a can of olives, chopped them up, then folded them into it to add a little body. I also blended in a jalepeno pepper. The possibilities are pretty endless but it's a good and cheap snack combined with some nonfat whole wheat pita or any other dipping medium.

It's the year of the enema!

Last edited by Air; 10-23-06 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-20-06, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12190 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
I get pure wheat gluten at a health food store (most supermarkets will have it near the flour but at a much higher price) and add a heaping tblsp when I make pancakes. Good stuff.
Old 10-20-06, 08:22 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Been also hooked lately on brown rice and turkey. I'll make a huge pot that will last a week for lunch and dinner - here's my ultra complicated version but feel free to take away or add at will:

2 1/3 cups of brown rice
2+ pounds of turkey meat
1 pound of sausage (optional - but really adds some taste)
2 strips of bacon
Some packages of frozen or fresh vegtables of choice - mushrooms a plus!
Onion - chopped
Garlic - minced
Ginger - about 3 inches x 1 inch chopped or cut into strips
If you'd like to flavor the rice I like to use jasmine tea. You can also use green tea or other types of tea to flavor the rice.
6 medium tomatos - cubed
Red wine
Pinch of brown sugar and honey

To prepare the brown rice, first rinse it three times. In a BIG pot add some oil on the bottom and put the rice over it. May want to add another teaspoon or two of oil on top.

Put 4 cups of water in another pot and set it to boil. If you want to flavor the rice add some loose tea to that pot (I used 5 full jasmine dried leaves for the whole pot and it comes out lightly flavored).

While that starts to boil put the pot with the rice on high heat. Stir the rice continuously until the water in the other pot starts to boil. It should start to smell nutty by the time you're ready to add the water - don't let it burn or stick to the pot!

When the water's boiling set the heat of the big pot down to simmer. With the lid ready pour the water (with tea) into the big pot and cover it. It will boil pretty viciously for a bit. Set your watch for 45 mins - do not stir! After 45 mins leave it alone for another 20.

While that's simmering chop up one bacon strip into bits and throw it in a pan along with the onion, garlic and ginger. When they're done add the veggies. I added some cheap red wine (enough to half cover them), healthy pinch of brown sugar and some honey to sweeten it up. Cook it down and put it off to the side.

Chop up the other bacon bit, throw in the same pan. When cooked add the turkey and sausage (cut the meat out of the skin and break it apart) and cook all of it. By this time the rice is done or at least the heat is off. Throw about 3/4 of the meat on top of the rice along with 3/4 of the veggies/onion/garlic/ginger. Throw the last quarter in with the last quarter of meat and add the chopped tomato. Cook for about a minute, just enough to get some of the juices flowing but not enough to completely cook it. Add all of that to the rice, mix and you're good to go for a while with plenty to share!

Old 10-20-06, 09:10 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted this once before, it is a favourite of mine.

BBQ Chicken Pizza
1 Flat-Out bread (or similar product) I perfer the 1--% whole wheat kind.
2Tbs of Low-Cal Sweet BBQ Sauce
Diced Chicken Breast (from a can or frozen)
1/4 Cup Low-Fat Mozarella Cheese
1/8 Cup Low-Fat cheddar Cheese
2Tbs baccon crumbs

Use the bread as a pizza crust and smear the BBQ sauce all over it.
Heat the chicken any way you wish. I use a skillet but a microwave will do. Placed the diced chicken over the pizza.
Cover in mozarella cheese and cheddar cheese.
Sprinkle baccon crumbs on top.
Bake in a pre-heated oven (300F) for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Has about 300 calories for the whole thing and is full of protien and some fiber.
Old 10-21-06, 05:46 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you tried replacing the pumpkin with peanut butter?
Old 10-21-06, 07:51 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Air

I've also made my own hummus lately:

- 1 can of chick peas
- 1 clove of garlic (more if you'd like)
- a little olive oil

Throw in a food processor/blender until smooth. I took a half a can of olives, chopped them up, then folded them into it to add a little body. I also blended in a jalepeno pepper. The possibilities are pretty endless but it's a good and cheap snack combined with some nonfat whole wheat pita or any other dipping medium.
I've got into making hummus and have been doing it a LOT for the last year. I don't use olive oil though (leave a bit of juice from can of chick peas or salad dressing for the little bit of juice you need).

- 1 can chick peas (garbonzo beans)
- 1 clove garlic (more, but it can get spicy...do NOT overdo it with garlic, trust me).
- 1/2 onion (only if you want to get more hot tingle)

Optional Spices to play with
- Curry Powder
- Cummin Seed
- Roasted Red Pepper sald dressing (forgot who makes it, but its almost no fat)
- Other salad dressings whose flavor appeal
Old 10-21-06, 08:07 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by (51)
Oh wow - that sounds good!! No - but next time I make it I will!

Old 10-21-06, 08:21 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Frozen bananas rock my world too. I unwrap them when they're not too ripe (I like them on the underside a bit), wrap each one in plastic wrap, throw them in the freezer. Awesome!

Smoothies!

You can make this the consistency of ice cream. In a blender throw some frozen fruit (I like 2 bananas and and 2 cups of fruit I froze at some point (pineapple or watermelon works great). Half fill with some juice (OJ, cranberry, whatever) and a generous amount of non fat yogurt (8-12 oz). Depening on your blender you may have to mix by hand a bit a few times to get all the chunks blended.

You got me thinking about adding peanut butter to everything now! Hmm.....

Old 10-21-06, 08:22 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Marinate Tofu, extra firm, cubed in reduced fat/calorie/sodium teryaki.
Stir fry with bean shoots, water chestnut, and shallots, diced. Serve on a bed of fried rice! MMMMMMMMMM Good!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 10-21-06, 08:40 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Found this online a while back - it's goooood.

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

Estimated Times:
Preparation - 3 min | Yields - 4

Ingredients:

* 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin, chilled
* 1 can (12 fl. oz.) * NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk, chilled
* 1 cup (6 oz.) vanilla light and nonfat yogurt
* 1/4 cup granulated sugar (I think I used honey instead, was fine)
* 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
* A few sheets of graham crackers (my addition but is good)
* Light whipped cream (optional of course )

Directions:
COMBINE pumpkin, evaporated milk, yogurt, sugar and pumpkin pie spice in blender; cover. Blend until mixture is smooth. If a thinner smoothie is desired, add water [or juice], a little at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Then add the crackers and blend once again (if you put them in earlier it's not as good).

TOP with whipped cream; sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice.

NOTE: For a richer and creamier version of this recipe, substitute NESTLÉ CARNATION Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk or Evaporated Milk for the Evaporated Fat Free Milk.

Last edited by Air; 10-21-06 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-21-06, 10:13 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My smoothies....

Get frozen fruit (various types) in freezer section at grocery store. Then go to ethnic (Mexican) section and get the 12 oz. cans of various fruit juice/nectar (mango, pear, guava, etc..)

Mix those two items in blender to desired consistency. No ice needed because fruit if frozen and suffices. No sugar, or anything else required.

You can do it with yogurt if you like that consistency, but I prefer it all raw without it.
Old 10-21-06, 10:15 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yummy scrambled eggs.

Eggs, one package of (thawed) frozen spinach, a little of Ken's sweet onion salad dressing. Mix all together and (very important) cook in pan with lid over LOW heat so that it cooks very slowly.
Old 10-21-06, 10:42 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
A thread on creating one's own gel.

Old 10-21-06, 02:24 PM

Bikes: ~1982 Bianchi Sport, ~1984 Nishiki MTB frankenbike, 1986 Kuwahara Shasta, 1996 Marin Bear Valley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hummus should really have tahini in it (sesame seed paste), it makes a huge difference in flavour, not to mention that is how it is made in the middle east, where hummus originated. You can find a couple of recipes are linked from the Wikipedia article. And I didn't think it was possible to overdo garlic, but then I've been known to use entire heads rather than just cloves of garlic when cooking.

Originally Posted by KingTermite
I've got into making hummus and have been doing it a LOT for the last year. I don't use olive oil though (leave a bit of juice from can of chick peas or salad dressing for the little bit of juice you need).

- 1 can chick peas (garbonzo beans)
- 1 clove garlic (more, but it can get spicy...do NOT overdo it with garlic, trust me).
- 1/2 onion (only if you want to get more hot tingle)

Optional Spices to play with
- Curry Powder
- Cummin Seed
- Roasted Red Pepper sald dressing (forgot who makes it, but its almost no fat)
- Other salad dressings whose flavor appeal
Old 10-21-06, 07:04 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dschl
Hummus should really have tahini in it (sesame seed paste), it makes a huge difference in flavour, not to mention that is how it is made in the middle east, where hummus originated. You can find a couple of recipes are linked from the Wikipedia article. And I didn't think it was possible to overdo garlic, but then I've been known to use entire heads rather than just cloves of garlic when cooking.
Actually when I first started making hummus, I did make it with Tahini because I knew you were supposed to make it with that. However, tahini is EXTREMELY high in fat. I tried it with and without and I do not notice the difference in taste. I've been eating hummus (with and without tahini) for many years (I live in an area with a LOT of greek and persian restaurants) and don't notice any significant difference in taste sans tahinia. That's my $.02.

As for the garlic...I thought the same thing you did about no such thing as too much. However, there is a big difference between when you use garlic in foods you cook and foods that are raw. Garlic loses it's "kick" when its cooked (just like hot peppers do). I find that a batch of hummus (1 can chick peas) gets too much kick to be good if you use more than about 2 or 3 cloves of garlic (tops).
Old 10-22-06, 02:02 AM

Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aight Here's a low-carb low fat recipe for fish.
1 -2 lbs of catfish filets
3-5 oz, pork rinds
enough mayonaise to lightly coat filets
Crush pork rinds and lightly coat filets with mayo. Spray a baking pan with Pam or another non-stick coating. Roll filets in crushed pork rinds and arrange in single layer on pan. Bake for 40-50min. at 375 or until fish flkes easily
Old 10-22-06, 02:05 AM

Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, if u want fried fish filets with no carbs, u can use crushed pork rinds for batter instead of cornmeal and flour.
Old 10-22-06, 02:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apples and almond butter - delicious!
Pataks Spicy curry paste, tomato paste (optional), 1 tomato an onion and chicken - makes a great curry in seconds - play around with the Pataks to get a basic Chicken masala to Chicken Tikka (don't bother getting a different paste for each kind of curry) - this is for touring/camping, make from scratch when you have the time

PUMPKIN PIE SMOOTHIE? Where's my blender??? Sounds great
Old 10-24-06, 10:57 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite
My smoothies....

Get frozen fruit (various types) in freezer section at grocery store. Then go to ethnic (Mexican) section and get the 12 oz. cans of various fruit juice/nectar (mango, pear, guava, etc..)

Mix those two items in blender to desired consistency. No ice needed because fruit if frozen and suffices. No sugar, or anything else required.

You can do it with yogurt if you like that consistency, but I prefer it all raw without it.
Good point! The only issue I have is having a blender full of fruit may mean a few unplanned trips to the bathroom - the yogurt seems to counteract that a bit.

I think I'm going to stock up on some of those frozen fruit nectars - I'm getting a few ideas from those just thinking about it!

====================
I'm probably the last to figure this one out - but I had an apple and banana last night smeared with peanut butter. Ahh...

Old 10-25-06, 10:38 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by (51)
Just did - wow! It's like a big oatmeal peanut butter cookie

Old 10-28-06, 01:34 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
I think I'm going to stock up on some of those frozen fruit nectars - I'm getting a few ideas from those just thinking about it!
Actually it's frozen fruit (in bags) in the freezer section, and a seperate item, fruit nectars in cans over in the Mexican foods section.
Old 10-28-06, 03:03 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always keep Stella's Kitchen around. By far my favorite cookbook. It's got a bunch of relatively inexpensive, easy-to-make recipes that are good for you so long as you mind your portions.

https://www.amazon.com/Stellas-Kitche.../dp/1931046891

I also constantly work the protein shakes and low fat chili.
Old 11-07-06, 09:33 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Got an oldie but a goodie.

Tomato Salad

- Take a bunch of tomatoes. Maybe 6 or 8 of them. Can be the cheaper ones, the vine ripened make it better but there's not a huge difference for the $5 you'll pay extra.
- Cube them
- Add salt (I like sea salt). Mix it. Add some more salt. Mix it.
- Add some Italian herbs. Basil, oregano, dill, pepper all work great.
- Add one or two minced garlic cloves if you'd like (fresh, not the stuff in oil).
- Optional: 2 cubed cucumbers (salted after everything else, then mixed again)
- teapoon of olive oil (optional)
- tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar (optional)

Mix well, put in a big container, leave at least overnight. The salt will cause the tomatos and cucumbers to sweat and you'll be left with a big juicy container of flavorful tomatos and cucumbers. I will put this over some good Italian bread (basically Bruschetta) with a little cheese melted on top or just eat it straight up.

Old 11-07-06, 12:04 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I'm constantly "on the go", so I never have time to sit down and actually make a meal. Or to actually eat one. So my staple is my tuna sandwiches. Yes, I said it. I'm going to put a recipe for tuna sandwiches. Laugh until you try it.

The Chubby Super-Biker's super secret wonderfulicious tuna sandwich
Ingredients:
-1 Brown egg (you can use whatever you want, I prefer farm-fresh brown eggs)
-1 can Tuna in water (I buy the organic market fruity stuff that isn't dolphin, but Chicken of the Sea is just fine too)
-2 slices Claussen Hearty Garlic dill slices (Kosher Dill also are fine, just milder in taste - but nothing mixes as well as Claussen, or the Hy-Vee brand that imitates them)
-2 1/2 tablespoons Hellman's Light Mayonaise (seriously tastes better than anything else I've found)
-2 slices of a good home-baked or bakery-baked multi-grain bread

Start by hard boiling the egg. While egg is hard boiling, chop up the pickles into tiny cubes then put the cubes into a bowl. Add the tuna and Mayonnaise, then add pickle cubes. When the egg is done, slice up then cube the egg and combine to the mix.

Add to your bread, and enjoy.

Again, nothing fantastic, but amazingly low-calorie, low-fat, and provides a good piece of fuel pre-ride that won't drag you down.
Old 11-07-06, 12:07 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Sweet! I hate egg - but try substituting horseradish in there for a nice little bite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.