Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Athena's Hangout

Old 10-01-06, 12:05 PM
One cool chick

Bikes: Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Athena's Hangout

Hey Athenas! I would like to get us a thread going just for us plus-size (fluffy, voluptuous, Rubenesque or whatever) gals who are interested in chatting about biking, fitness, weight loss, and anything else that pops into our wonderful female minds! Basically a support thread for us to gather and not worry about offending the men if we happen to be PMS'ing that day!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm relatively new to biking...all I know is that I ride and I love it! But, I'm always up for chatting about anything and getting to know a few more friends around here!

I thought a little questionnaire would be helpful in getting to know each other and find out our specific goals and such.

Name: Rebecca
Marital Status: Married, to Magoolc1!
Height/weight: 5'3" (on a tall day!)/313 lbs
What bike do you currently ride: Trek 820 mountain bike with some modifications.
How long have you been riding?: I used to ride all the time when I was a kid, but before we bought our bikes last year, I hadn't been on a bike in probably 15 years! We've been riding for about a year now.
Are you currently trying to lose weight, and how are you going about it?: I joined Weight Watchers on 8/28, and have lost 11.8 lbs so far. I'm doing a combination of biking, and exercise DVD's (Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds and Walk and Kick walking/kickboxing combo).
What is your ultimate goal?: Weight wise, it would be about 160...but my main goal is to get my PCOS symptoms under control and have a baby with my hubby (we've been trying for 2 years with no luck because of the medical issues).
How often do you ride and for how long?: Not as much as I'd like...we need to get my handlebars modified first, and we usually do about 5-7 miles at a time. I could go forever if it weren't for the wrist pain caused by the handlebar position!
What is your favorite thing about riding?: Just the feeling I get when I'm riding. It's totally freeing. The fitness benefits are great too!

Don't feel you have to answer any of the questions, I just thought it would be nice to get to know each other and be able to help support each other in our goals and stuff. Have a great day!
Old 10-01-06, 01:13 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Not an Athena, but I think this is a good idea! Just bump it every so often to keep it up til other Athena's see it and you might mention the thread over in Road Cycling and other subforums too! Just a hint!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 10-01-06, 01:46 PM
One cool chick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tom! Good idea! I'll definitely do that when I get a few more minutes!
Old 10-01-06, 02:09 PM
Would rather be biking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Name: r.jury
Marital Status: Married, 2 kids ages: 9 & 7
Height/weight: 5'5"/245 lbs
What bike do you currently ride: '06 Scott and '02 Norco
How long have you been riding?: I started commuting to work 3 years ago.
Are you currently trying to lose weight, and how are you going about it?: Always. But I've not been very successful. I'm maintaining, but not losing.
What is your ultimate goal?: Weight wise, I would be so happy at about 170. I want to be more active for myself, and for the kids.
How often do you ride and for how long?: Avg 20km a day from April to October/November.
What is your favorite thing about riding?: This is my "ME" time. Wife hood, mommy hood, work. It doesn't leave much time for me. When I'm on my bike, the cell phone is off, there are no interruptions. It's my little piece of heaven....

Looking forward to get to know the other Athena's

Last edited by r.jury; 12-15-06 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-01-06, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to sticky it for you ladies. That way it'll always be at the top!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 10-01-06, 08:03 PM
One cool chick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Nadine! Glad you de-lurked to join us!!! We can work on the eating habits together. I'm doing Weight Watchers, and I really like it, but this week I've slacked off and am dreading my weigh in on Tuesday evening. I'm sure I haven't lost anything, but I just hope I haven't gained! I've been doing really good up until my husband and I both got sick this week, it's just gone down the toilet from there! But, I'm getting back on track and hoping to keep the downward trend going with this weight. I want to lose about 25 lbs more before Christmas, I think I can do it...just gotta keep at it!

Psyklnut, thanks for sticky-ing us! That's awesome!
Old 10-02-06, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, Rebecca. I look forward to beginning the process of cycling and I look forward to posting about our rides, progress, etc.

Name: Vicky

Marital Status: Married to VolnTitan - we have one child ... an 18-year-old who is away at college

Height/weight: 5'2"/212 lbs

What bike do you currently ride: I'm shopping ... thought I would be riding daughter's Specialized Hardrock, but we took it to her this past weekend

How long have you been riding?: Much of my childhood was spent on a bike, but I haven't ridden in years, except for a recent test ride on daughter's bike

Are you currently trying to lose weight, and how are you going about it?: I would absolutely love to lose weight, but more than anything, I just want to feel energetic again. I want to be active without being winded. I have asthma, which is pretty well-controlled, but I feel like getting in shape will really help with my energy level. For the past 14 months, my best friend and I meet every morning (M-F) at 5:15 and walk till 6:00. Last year, I went so far as to hire a personal trainer whom I saw twice a week for two months. I had decided I would have her help me come up with a good training plan and show me how to use the equipment at the gym and then I would continue to follow the program on my own. I was very diligent about going to my appointments with my trainer, but when I decided I could do it on my own, I started playing hooky. I haven't been in months now. I'm so ashamed, but I plan to make a change.

What is your ultimate goal?: To feel energetic again ... now I just feel like I want to nap all the time! I would love to lose weight ... I need to lose weight!

How often do you ride and for how long?: I am just so excited to start the process. I envision hubby and me riding for several miles each time we go out.

What is your favorite thing about riding?: I can only guess what my favorite thing will be ... I believe it will be the good feeling I get (except for the sore butt in the beginning, I guess ) I'm hoping to replace my food addiction with a riding addiction.

I hope you and your hubby are feeling better, Rebecca. I look forward to reading more from you and Nadine.
Old 10-02-06, 01:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Name Deborah
Marital Status: married with two adult children
Height/Weight 5'9 242
Bike(s) My commute bike is Trek 4500 I love it. Schwinn, my long distance bike, I spent the summer working on it and it is finally comfortable Giant: My first real bike in a long time. It is 14 years old and I could not throw it away. It in the basement with all the old bikes. Mongoose full suspension bike is my winter bike. My husband brought it. I did not think that I could ride a full suspension bike because I was too heavy. It did not help that I broke the first frame.
How long: I think like most women I have been riding since I was a little girl. I stopped for a period of time when my children were small. I started again about twenty years ago because I needed to do something for the stress.
Trying to lose: I would like to get down to 170 pounds.
Ultimate goal: To ride the Underground Railroad by bike. It is a new route created by Adventer Cyclists.
How often do I ride: Almost everyday. I got rid of my car and the other two cars died.
Old 10-02-06, 07:25 PM
One cool chick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deborah~ Welcome! How far do you commute everyday? I wish I lived in a bike commuting friendly area...unfortunately I live about 15 miles away from work, and the only roads between my house and work are major highways. Not to mention the hideous hill my job is located on. It's basically like climbing the side of a mountain! Riding the Underground Railroad sounds awesome! I've always been interested in the history of the Underground Railroad, maybe I should check into that.

Vicky~ Glad you joined us as well! Ah, I remember the sore butt! It goes away, just got to stick with it until your hiney can adjust! A good gel seat should help. I can ride for quite a while, at my weight you'd think my butt would ache for days, but it really doesn't. The seat is key! I know how you feel about wanting to feel energetic...for so long I've felt like a bit lop of doo-doo...2 years of stress and fertility medications trying to have a baby really took a toll on me and my body, not to mention my personality and emotions. I'm feeling a lot better now that we're taking a break from that in order to lose this weight. I've lost 11.8 lbs so far, and it's amazing how just that little bit can make a huge difference. I still have trouble sometimes going up and down stairs, or walking for long distances due to a high school knee and ankle injury, but that's what I love about riding. It's totally non-impact (well, unless my fat butt happens to fall off the bike...hasn't happened yet though!) and such a great workout for the legs and tushie! So...ya gonna make an appointment with that personal trainer this week?

Nadine~ How are you doing today? I love "me" time!!! It does get so stressful taking care of everyone else in our lives...my hubby, my stepson when he's with us, work, you name it! It seems like we women take such great care of everyone in our lives except for ourselves. I'm a strong believer in the theory that we can't take care of anyone else the way they deserve until we take care of ourselves the way we deserve though. That's why I try to make time every day for myself...whether it's reading a chapter in a book for my book club, knitting a little more on a project, a hot bath, anything just as long as it's something for me. I love taking care of people, but I have come to the realization that there is a limit and sometimes you have to draw the line. My weekly Weight Watchers meetings have become a great "me" time too. It's something I'm doing just for me, but it will benefit my family, friends, and hopefully future child too.

Ok ladies! I've rambled on long enough for one night! Talk to you all later!
Old 10-02-06, 08:21 PM
SPOLHUBBY

Bikes: trek 820, and park pre xl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good stuff you got going her Bec. Keep up the good work ladies!
Old 10-03-06, 07:31 AM
Would rather be biking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to get back on the bike soon....going insane.

My biking season is getting close to being over, and that makes me sad.

Last edited by r.jury; 12-15-06 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-03-06, 04:15 PM
'bent

Bikes: Sun EZ-3 Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Name: Earlena
MS: Married
no children
Bike(s): Actually a couple of Trikes! An ancient Sears "Granny" Trike ands a truly cool 'bent! A Sun EZ-3
Ht/WT: 5'9", 226 (Down 25! WOOHOO!)
Quick and Dirty Bio (Get your minds out of the gutters, ladies!): Cancer survivor, recently resumed cycling. My husband hounded me to try it and reluctantly, I did. After I got a bit tougher and stronger, to my surprise, I started to like it! My Hubby, by the way, is Tom Stormcrowe.

Goals: Coast to Coast tour! I want to ride a trike from ocean to ocean!
Old 10-03-06, 07:56 PM
One cool chick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Earlena!!! Glad to have you with us!

Just wanted to drop in and update you ladies with my weekly weigh in results...I thought I did so terrible this week being sick and busy...evidently I didn't! I lost another 3.4 lbs, making my total so far 15.2 lbs!!! I was so shocked!!! I'm more motivated than ever now! Hoping to get my bike done in the next week so I can ride again!

Glad to see more Athena's joining in the fun! Have a great night ladies!!!
Old 10-04-06, 05:35 AM
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is great!

This is a great thread! I've lurked for a while in the Clydesdale's thread, but saw that there weren't really any women posting, so....here I am.

Name: Karen
Marital Status: Married
Height/weight: 5'6"/210 lbs
What bike do you currently ride: Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD
How long have you been riding?: I started last year on a mtb, but bought the current bike this February. I've been riding since the last week of March and as of this week, I've ridden 2500 miles!
Are you currently trying to lose weight, and how are you going about it?: Yes, I'm trying!! I haven't lost as much as I had hoped to lose over the summer, only 14 pounds, but it is a loss. I will continue to ride on the weekends while the weather is ok. I have a trainer and 2 spinerval dvd's that I will use when I have to do the trainer (Aero Base Builder I and Recovery/Technique). So, I'm pretty much trying to ride the bike (or walk in evenings since I can't get out on the bike) and watch what I eat. It's all about the calories in vs. the calories out.
What is your ultimate goal?: Weight wise, it would be about 175 to 180...I don't think I'll ever get down to the 145-150 range. I am also interested in getting faster on the bike. I first thought that I wanted to do really longer distances (brevets, etc), and maybe I will later, but right now I want to get faster. I'm averaging 16-16.5mph solo and I can do 1-1.5mph more in a group. I would like to get my solo avg up to 17-17.5 by next riding season.
How often do you ride and for how long?: Not as much as I'd like to now that it's getting darker earlier...I was riding 4-5 days/week for anywhere from 90 to 150 miles/wk. Usually, during the week, I would ride at least 3x, for 45min to an hour, then the weekends, I did 75-100miles total. Now, since it's going to be dark not long after I get home, I will try to do the trainer at least 2x/wk, preferably 3, and do the 2 weekend rides I normally do.
What is your favorite thing about riding?: Just the feeling I get when I'm riding. It's so peaceful and generally stress free ('cept for the a$$hole drivers you encounter sometimes). The fitness benefits are great too!

Karen.
Old 10-04-06, 09:50 AM
NEVER WALK A HILL

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe Specialized Dolce Vita Multi Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Name: Kat
Height/weight: 5'7/224 (that sucks to admit)
What bike do you currently ride: Specialized Dolce Vita Multi Sport and Bianchi Volpe
How long have you been riding?: since June 04
Are you currently trying to lose weight: Yes...still. I lost right around 100 pounds a few years ago but then over the last year or so I put back on about 20 so struggling to get those off.
What is your ultimate goal?: I'd like to take off 50 more. The 20 I put back on and the 30 I had left to go!! I started at 304
How often do you ride and for how long?: Of course not as often as I'd like to, mostly in organized rides and triathlons. Some weekends I get out. With my family and classes i'ts hard to make time during the week.
What is your favorite thing about riding?: freedom. The OMG I think I'm gonna die feeling you get while hammering up a hill and the sence of accomplishment when you crest. Me my bike and an open road. Bliss
Old 10-04-06, 09:56 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I'd come in and flirt with all you cute Athenas....but you are all married. Aren't there any single Athenas for me to flirt with?
Old 10-04-06, 12:00 PM
One cool chick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry King...if I didn't think Magoo would kick your tail, I'd flirt with ya!
Old 10-06-06, 03:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the Motorcity. It is not a bike friendly city nor is it friendly towards those who use public transportation (what bus system?) Anyway, I grew up in New York city. I love public transportation. Riding in the streets remind me of home so when I encounter an aggressive driver it reminds me of home. Some days it is better than a cup of coffee.

My cycling commute to work is 17 miles one way. Some days I will take a SMART bus part of the way to work. I admit I feel lazy when I do it. On days that I don't ride I feel like a kid on punsihment. I love bike riding. On the weekend I am either doing my chores or I try to go on a long distance trip.

Gas, the price of a can of beans.
Old 10-06-06, 08:55 PM
edo ergo equito

Bikes: 1. Specialized Sirrus w/Shimano Biopace, and 2. Raleigh Venture 3.0, brand-new.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread. I sure don't see very many big girls out there on bikes; mostly they're those tiny little vegan-looking things (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Thanks for doing this, Rebecca!

Name: Rose

Height/weight: 5'6/197

What bike do you currently ride: Specialized Sirrus (with the old Shimano Biopace system), and I commute on The Big Green Cow: A Raleigh Venture 3.0 that gets a lot of snickers (but it rides smooooth, like a Lincoln Continental)

How long have you been riding?: Just since August of this year, although I rode a lot a decade or so ago.

Are you currently trying to lose weight: Yes, although now I'm using more of a sideways strategy. Instead of focusing on losing weight, I'm working on making healthy living enjoyable, and not a chore. Biking is a huge part of that; so is cooking with local, fresh food. I lose weight fairly easily, but I gain it back even more easily (just the same way I used to quit smoking quite expertly).

How often do you ride and for how long?: I try to ride every day, even when I don't commute. My commute is just under fourteen miles round trip, and if I don't ride to work one day, I try to do at least that much after work.

What is your goal?: To live really well. And sure, part of that means wearing a pair of jeans without feeling like my body is 90% a$$ and 10% the rest of me. With regard to biking, I'd like to go for some longer rides, and eventually do some real touring.

What is your favorite thing about riding?: I really love the traveling through the world so intimately. In a car, or any other enclosed machine, it's so isolated and artificial. And although walking is wonderful, it's too slow for most modern-day practical journeys.

Thanks again, Rebecca. And I'm in awe of some of the sweet bikes you guys (gals) ride. Someday!
Old 10-07-06, 12:43 PM
SPOLHUBBY

Bikes: trek 820, and park pre xl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just like feild of dreams huh Bec? I told you if you start it they will come...lol.
Old 10-07-06, 01:25 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What a most excellent thread. I need to get my wife in on this, as she is starting to cycle herself.

For all you female lurkers out there who are interested in joining in, dont be afraid to introduce yourselves. This is a thread for the 'ladies', and I think there's enough 'gentlemen' out here to make sure it stays that way.
Old 10-07-06, 04:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So happy to have found you

Athena...hmmmmmm....When I was going through chemo for breast cancer, some 9 years ago, my hubby used to call me his Xena-Warrior Princess. I think I like Athena.

Name: Pepper
Marital Status: 33 happy years to Ray.
Height/Weight: 5'7", 275 lbs
What bike do I currently ride: My hubby bought me a Schwinn from Walmart for Xmas last year. Hopefully if I stick to this bikeriding, I will update it next spring.
How long have you been riding: Although my hubby bought the bike last Xmas, I didn't start riding until a month ago after my hubby went with me on a visit to my oncologist and heard how my weight could possible affect the chances of a recurrence of my breast cancer. He has taken it upon himself to get me out there and exercising more. I have start using my recumbent stationary bike when the weather is bad up here in northern Wisconsin but he and I have really gotten into outdoor bicycling. I have even purchased a set of nordic walking poles for times when he is not here to bike with me.
Are you trying to lose weight: I think I answered that in the last question. But I am happy to say that I have lost 15 pounds in the last month and my butt is getting smaller and smaller. I have also changed my eating habits. I am not on any special diet. I have just stopped binging and eating more healthy items.
What is my ultimate goal?: I would like to get down to 165 which is the weight I was when I got married. I really am a big boned girl and my doctor would be happy with me at that weight. Plus I would be able to get off all the blood pressure meds I am now on.
How often do you ride and for how long?: I ride either inside or outside, 5 times a week. We live in a really hilly region so if I get outside for at least 30 minutes, I am happy. When inside, I cycle for 60 minutes and pick programs on it that are challenging.
What is your favorite thing about riding?: Spending time with my hubby and feeling like I am doing something to keep my breast cancer at bay.

So, again I am happy to be here. I have lots of questions but for now I am just going to read your posts and see how everyone else is doing.
Hugs Pepper (Hope2LiveLong)
Old 10-07-06, 04:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yay ... I finally got a bike today, ladies! As mentioned earlier, I had considered riding my daughter's bike, but she decided she wanted it at college. Hubby and I went to the same bike shop where we purchased his bike several weeks ago. I test rode a couple of different bikes and finally decided on the Trek 7100. We came home and rode around the neighborhood for a while. I love the way it rides, but I have a feeling my booty is going to be a bit sore tomorrow. When I mentioned that it might be fun to get up early tomorrow morning and ride up to our town square, I got the "I'm not getting up early on a Sunday look" from hubby . Oh well, maybe I'll just go by myself! Here's a picture (from the Trek site) of the bike I purchased.

Old 10-08-06, 04:46 PM
Geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Name: Gail

Marital Status: Single

Height/Weight: 5'8", 240

Bike: a Trek 7200 and a Bianchi Eros.

How long: I took up cycling again about 4 years ago.

Trying to lose weight? Of course.

Utlimate goal: 180

Riding habits: I usually ride 8-14 miles, 5 days a week during the warm months. In the winter I try to force myself to ride the trainer, but it's really tedious. I am going to try running this winter.

Favorite thing about riding: How good I feel afterwards. And the leg muscles.
Old 10-09-06, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Sorry for interloping, but could somone explain the origin of the term "athena" (as used in this context)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.