Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

WOW I'm Fatter than I thought!!!!!!

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-25-06, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No PC conversations here!

I knew I'd been putting the weight back on, but didn't really know how much. The batteries on my scale died and I kept forgetting to buy replacements.

Well, much to my dismay, I got the scale working again!

I stepped on and measured 3 times. YIKES!!!!!!!!

I'm back up to 300 lbs. O.k., 299.5 but close enough.

I thought I was about 285 to 290. I didn't realize I'd hit the 300 mark again. (I did this last year.)

Enough is enough, I'm off the sodas and drinking water again.

I've committed myself to ride 3 times a week. Not for hours and hours, but just 3x's to get back into the groove. I'm also going to start my bodyweight exercises every morning. Just 5 to 10 mins. before my shower.

Anyone else starting a regimine now or soon?

Let's keep each other motivated!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-25-06, 01:51 PM
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Us Muslims have got it easy. Ramadan has started hehe...
Old 09-25-06, 02:32 PM
UareFASTjustNOTfastENOUGH

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Bianchi C2C 928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck, I had no idea you were that big a2. I alsways pictured you as one of them skinny arse types (200 and below). Good luck with the loss.

MSF
Old 09-25-06, 02:33 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've dropped my calorie intake to a "hard limit" of 1800/day with a 1200-1500/day "goal". In the first week I dropped 9 pounds. Two weeks later I've kept forgetting to weigh, but I should do it tonight.

I'm in a competition with a "skinny". I told him I'd lose 50lbs before he loses 20. Lots of hard work, and I think I'll beat him with time to spare .

Anyway, low calories and lots of excercise. My plan is to excercise nightly every day this week. Shouldn't be a problem
Old 09-25-06, 03:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterSezFaster
Heck, I had no idea you were that big a2. I alsways pictured you as one of them skinny arse types (200 and below). Good luck with the loss.

MSF

MSF, when you first started posting here, I was probably around 215 to 225. Too many years at my desk job and not riding enough!

Getting older, but dang it, I'm going to get into the best shape of my life!!! Shooting for 215 again by next Christmas!!!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
Old 09-25-06, 03:28 PM
My name is Mike, not Cal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck! Hopefully, you'll be able to change your Cartman pic to something more flattering.

What sort of bodyweight exercises do you do? Have you checked out DragonDoor:

https://dragondoor.com

They have a special section just for bodyweight exercises:

https://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode2/Workouts
Old 09-25-06, 03:58 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
No PC conversations here!

I knew I'd been putting the weight back on, but didn't really know how much. The batteries on my scale died and I kept forgetting to buy replacements.

Well, much to my dismay, I got the scale working again!

I stepped on and measured 3 times. YIKES!!!!!!!!

I'm back up to 300 lbs. O.k., 299.5 but close enough.

I thought I was about 285 to 290. I didn't realize I'd hit the 300 mark again. (I did this last year.)

Enough is enough, I'm off the sodas and drinking water again.

I've committed myself to ride 3 times a week. Not for hours and hours, but just 3x's to get back into the groove. I'm also going to start my bodyweight exercises every morning. Just 5 to 10 mins. before my shower.

Anyone else starting a regimine now or soon?

If you want motivation, train for my Spring Challenge! I know about weight issues, believe you me! Welcome to "The Battle of the Bulge"!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-25-06, 04:01 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I was hoping someone would start a thread like this - I would have but I started a bunch and didn't want spam the boards

OK - 262 checking in. I ultimately want to get down to 220. I'll take 240 by the end of the year. I've been using fitday, keeping below 2500 and below 70 grams of fat (man when people drag me out and order bar food I just can't say no!). I do a 30 mile ride 1-3 times a week (unfortunately lately more like 1 but will hopefully bump that up), ride around town between 3-5 days a week, and swing dance (fast!) for a few hours a few times a week as well. One time for kicks I put on my monitor and hit my max HR - I've NEVER hit my max HR on my bike. Amazing how much more energetic that stuff is!

I have questions about caloric intake - but I think I'm going to ask it over here and keep this one motivational in nature.

I say we check in once a week with weight - seems to make it easier to do (at least for me).

bdinger - one thing I will say is be careful about the beginning. I lost 17 pounds when I started in May but haven't lost anything since. Also, if you keep your caloric intake too low your body goes into starvation mode and will add it on the first chance it gets. General is much gradual, I'd argue (again, over here) that you probably need more calories. According to this you shouldn't drop below 1500 for a male (if you're a female 1200 is the cutoff).

This is a great tool too.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-25-06, 04:06 PM
DaBigRague

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A2P

Can I ask how long it took you to pack on the poundage?
Old 09-25-06, 04:14 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Though it's bad form to link to one forum link from another but this is a great starting guide and site (just found it):

https://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/12230.html

Old 09-25-06, 07:45 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dern Tootin' !!
Old 09-25-06, 10:12 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm having a snack of pickled veggies. Best invention ever - where oh where were you all my life!

Last edited by Air; 09-25-06 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-25-06, 11:27 PM
UareFASTjustNOTfastENOUGH

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Bianchi C2C 928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MSF, when you first started posting here, I was probably around 215 to 225. Too many years at my desk job and not riding enough!

Getting older, but dang it, I'm going to get into the best shape of my life!!! Shooting for 215 again by next Christmas!!!!!
I have seen that a lot with some of my friends. They start working super long hours which cuts down on the cycling and the weight just starts acumulating.

I my self got up to 324 a couple of years ago but it was on purpose. Our team needed a good left tackle and I was the only one with the experiance and speed they needed. I am currently back down to 275 and should be back to 235 - 240 by January. No more O-line for me, fullback and linebacker only from now on.

I am sure your weight will drop rather quick once you get the time to hit the trails again.

MSF
Old 09-26-06, 07:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaBigRague
A2P

Can I ask how long it took you to pack on the poundage?
Probably 15 to 20 lbs a year.

I was about 225 in '94, then up to 235 in '95, hovered there for a couple years. Then in '98 up to the 250 mark. Up and down 10 - 20 lbs from there for a couple years. In 2000 I was 260-265, got back down to 215 by summer, then went back up to 225 by the end of '00.

I averaged gaining about 10 lbs every 6 months after that for the next 3 years.

After my divorce in '04, I packed on the lbs quickly. I probably jumped from 260 to 300 in a year!

This past spring, I was down to 275 - 280 when I left for Spain in April. After I got back, I went back to my old bad habits and I'm back up to 302!
Old 09-26-06, 09:49 AM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In June of 2005 I was at my heaviest - 567.4. You have no idea how that feels when you see that number on a scale, wow. So I decided I wanted to drop it, and I didn't want surgery. Went on a drastic liquid diet, followed by lots of excercise and nutrition. In October of 2005 (last year) I was down to 407. Read all about that at https://www.optifat.blogspot.com. Nobody ever knew I was that big, I have a massive bone and muscle structure that does a great job of hiding weight.

Anyway, fast forward to March of 2006. I had kept all that weight off during the winter/holidays and was pretty much maintaining right around 400. Got in a horrible car accident, screwed up my back, put on about 30 pounds quickly.

Started biking in June, slowly dropping weight and eating whatever I wanted.

Then I decided to get motivated. My finacee and I are getting married in August of 2008, and I want to be down to my "optimal" of 225-250 (I was at that in high school playing football, I was like a damn brick wall). A friend was losing weight by biking, so I challenged him.

I told him in the time it would take him to lose 20 pounds, I could lose 50 - or maybe even do it faster than him. The bet was a dinner not to exceed $25, and to support me my fiancee made a side bet with him of $20 that I would win. That was the first tuesday of september.

By keeping my calorie intake below 1800/day (some days I splurge a tad, have yet to go above 2500) and keeping my biking up I've dropped 29.3 in 21 days as of today. I'm sitting right at 400.5, and have a nearly 30 mile ride planned for tonight so I can drop .6 and FINALLY get below 400.

I *WILL* drop that 50 before 1/1/07, but I'd like to drop 75. FitDay's weight graph of my losses so far are awesome - it's a pretty linear downward line - what I love to see. I feel great, and appreciate that there's finally a forum of similar minded people.
Old 09-26-06, 12:54 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Absolutely awesome guys!

Old 09-26-06, 01:35 PM
Super Clydesdale

Bikes: Giant OCR 3 Roadbike and Gary Fisher Marlin Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a2 ... the worst part is not knowing. Now that you know exactly what you weigh, you can take command of it. I know when I have been slacking on my diet, the last thing I want to do is step on the scale, but there is always a sense of relief once I've done it. I always weigh in on Monday to see how much weight I've lost for the week, but I force myself to get on the scale in the middle of the week just to keep myself accountable!
Old 09-26-06, 05:59 PM

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
I began something at the beginning of the year which has worked so far. I decided not to worry about the scale but how many exercise periods I had over the year. My goal was 200 figuring 4x per week and a few 3x/week weeks for when I wasn't feeling well or bad weather. I made a small table in excel 15 x 15 spaces which I keep in the front of a book I use often. Each day I exercise, I mark one off. It doesn't matter what type of exercise, just that it lasts at least 15 minutes. As long as I cross that threshold I'm ok for the day. I'm past 150 so far, some short walks, others day long hikes, canoeing or (soon to be) biking. As long as I keep the fat and sugar intake at moderate levels the plan works ok.

Steve
Old 09-27-06, 12:39 AM

Bikes: GT Timberline, Bianchi Axis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey bdinger,

Keep kicking arse.

Also, what bike do you currently ride? Any issues with wheelsets? saddle? I'm making my Christmas list already.

Aloha, lapbander.
Old 09-27-06, 06:29 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've tried to keep it as simple as possible.

-I watch what I eat and count the calories
-I've calculated that I need a minimum of 2600 calories, I assuming I was a slug that basically didn't move
-I shoot for between 1800-2000 calories daily, after deducting for any exercise

During the week I usually average about 1200, the weekends may vary between 0 and 2000 depending upon whether or not I did a metric century, tackled a pizza or slipped and fell on a box of doughnuts. Basically it's a stick and carrot routine, if I want that burger at dinner, I better have ridden 20-30 miles before hand.

It seems to be working. In the past three months I've dropped 2 pant sizes. Prior to this time, I could ride my butt off and still not really shag any weight. I chalked it up to snacking, the incredible post commute ride snacking binges. And doubling up on burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Portion control, carrot / stick. Buying a nice pair of expensive shorts that are just a little too tight and knowing I'll have wasted money if they don't eventually fit.

I'll never leave Clyde status but damn if I'm not going to control it.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 09-28-06, 07:37 AM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started the summer on a old Raleigh M40. It had a weak 32 spoke wheelset, and I had to have them re-trued basically every 200 miles. Tires were also an issue, but I finally got that down.

Currently I'm riding a '07 Specialized Hardrock Sport. It's bone stock aside from a different seatpost clamp (the one it comes with is junk, I got a allen-wrench-only style that totally rocks), specialized thorn-resistant innertubes and a GPS. The wheels are still true 200 miles after it's "one month checkup", and would have been true for that had I not gotten a little nuts on curbs . Oh, and the shop was nice enough to throw on some aftermarket pads ($15 for each wheel!) for free when I bought the bike - they make all the difference in the world. The stock saddle that it comes with is actually a Specialized Rival, and after a week my butt was in heaven. GREAT little saddle, I was amazed at the comfort.

I highly endorse the Hardrock. Sure, the components are pretty low-end and the fork stinks, but it's almost like they made the thing for big guys who beat the snot out of their bikes! I've almost got 500 miles on mine, and beyond some tube issues thanks to thorns (the paths I ride are riddled with the darned things) I've had not a single component failure. The stock wheelset is a 36h with heavy-guage spokes, DEFINITELY built tough.

Originally Posted by lapbander
Hey bdinger,

Keep kicking arse.

Also, what bike do you currently ride? Any issues with wheelsets? saddle? I'm making my Christmas list already.

Aloha, lapbander.
Old 09-28-06, 07:33 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Alot of us 50+ forum guys are clydesdales too. Here is our weight loss reporting, now in the 6th week.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=221403&page=6
Old 09-29-06, 12:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But that means you can only eat after sundown. You don't want to be riding without food and suffer the bonk...
Old 10-02-06, 04:16 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Hi all - believe it or not, recent studies have shown that weighing EVERY DAY will help you lose weight. However, you will move up and down. What I like to watch and mark every week is the highest and lowest of the week - as long as those keep trending down, life is good.

I was once 270 lbs - as of this morning, 202.5 , the fight is never over, but for me the secret is eat well (watch the junk) and BIKE!

and keep getting on the scale - whether I think it is going to say good news or not...
Old 10-02-06, 09:26 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R3 / Specialized Roubaix UI2 / Sette Hardtail Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am motivated! We have a weight pool here at work. Everyone puts in $50 at the beginning of the pool. The person that loses the largest percentage of weight by the end of the quarter(3 mos) wins the POT! Every week the pot grows based upon how much everyone loses. If ten people are in and all ten lose 1 pound - everyone pays $1. I want to win and I am focused. I am up to 248# - I was 230 not all that long ago...My goal is 200#
Thanx guys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.