Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

This is gonna sound stupid but.....

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-25-06, 12:54 AM

Bikes: MBK Prospeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't want to lose any weight. Right now I'm sitting at 210lbs and I love it. Sure I have a little problem getting up hills, but I'm getting better everyday. My biggest problem is keeping the weight. As right now I lift weights 2-4 times a week and long with riding the same amount. My goal is to be 215-220 and still be competitive as a Cat 4/5 racer, maybe Cat3 if I push myself alittle more.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to keeping the weight while still eating healthy and riding my bike?
Old 09-25-06, 04:48 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Protein, my lad! Protein and keep the calories in synch with your output!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-25-06, 05:06 AM

Bikes: Mongoized Norco with roadie components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Tom said, the fuel you take in is of the utmost importance. However, there is another aspect and that is the duration that you exercise for.

No matter how big or slim one becomes your heart and lungs can only be so big and their ability to pump oxygenated blood to demanding muscles is limited. When a large muscular individual forces their heart and lungs to work at a high rate for extended periods of time (45 mins +) they run the risk of the body starting to eat away at their muscle mass, this isnt because it isnt getting enough food, but because the body is trying to reduce the overall size of the body so that the heart can get oxygen to the right place without having to feed a lot of beef cake that isnt doing much. The bottom line is that unless you are one of those freaks (Like Navy SEALS) that are blessed with a rare muscle type that has the power of an ATP athlete but have cellular respiration like a marathon runner you are going to have to either make a choice about how much weight you want to give up.

We have another thread here in the Clyde section on nutrition, but it will be going into natural ability, determining your own natural ability and what you can and cant reasonably expect given your make up (be you a fast or slow twitch kind of guy). Its not all about trying, somethings are impossible for some folks. I hope to get into that as soon as we have the important stuff about grub out of the way
Old 09-25-06, 10:25 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drink Milk and eat more dairy.

I've found eating dairy keeps the weight on.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-25-06, 11:29 AM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Protein protein protein.

I did a liquid diet last year and lost about 160lbs of fat - weight that I've kept off even after the diet by a strict excercise regimen and protein intake. I never ever want to lose my muscle mass, just get rid of the flab. My doctor says that I'm built "like a Peterbilt", and that anything under 225-250 will be downright anorexic for my frame. Funny how much BS the BMI is

Anyway, keep up the weights and LOTS of protein - but don't overkill the protein. Consult with a good doctor and excercise physiologist to find the amount that is right for your body.
Old 09-25-06, 12:06 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bdinger
Protein protein protein.

I did a liquid diet last year and lost about 160lbs of fat - weight that I've kept off even after the diet by a strict excercise regimen and protein intake. I never ever want to lose my muscle mass, just get rid of the flab. My doctor says that I'm built "like a Peterbilt", and that anything under 225-250 will be downright anorexic for my frame. Funny how much BS the BMI is

Anyway, keep up the weights and LOTS of protein - but don't overkill the protein. Consult with a good doctor and excercise physiologist to find the amount that is right for your body.
A Quick reminder:
High protein intake requires a high H2O intake or you can damage your kidney's! At my weight, I take in a minimum of 1 gal water a day and more if needed under exercise! If your pee is DARK like German Beer or Black Coffee, you need to up the water.......fast!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-25-06, 01:15 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
A Quick reminder:
High protein intake requires a high H2O intake or you can damage your kidney's! At my weight, I take in a minimum of 1 gal water a day and more if needed under exercise! If your pee is DARK like German Beer or Black Coffee, you need to up the water.......fast!
For a high protein diet, not only do you need to boost your water intake, but also make sure that you're getting enough calcium.
Excess protein that gets excreted requires calcium for removal from the body. If it's not in your diet, then it will get leeched from your bones.
Big guy + hard sprint + weak bones = bad fractures

If you're really looking to bump up your protein intake, then aim for 1.5 to 2 grams of protein daily for every kilo of lean body mass. Match that with minimally 1 ounce of water for each kilo of total body mass.

100 kilo rider at 85% lean mass = 128 to 160 grams daily protein and at least 100 oz. daily water.
Unfortunately, I am not sure of the calcium ratios. Possibly looking into a bodybuilder's forum would turn up the answers since that's where the info on protein and water to body mass came from. I used to do a lot of heavy weightlifting, and these were the standard minimum ratios that the competitive powerlifters used.
Old 09-25-06, 02:45 PM
UareFASTjustNOTfastENOUGH

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Bianchi C2C 928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep the good callories high with lots of protien (besure to consume a lot of water to help flush the kidneys) and do higher weights/less reps in the gym since you are trying to maintain/gain weight.

When I am at racing weight, 235, I can hold my own aginst most CAT1/2 riders. It just takes time and good training with lots of rest.

Clifton gave you some good advice but looking on a BodyBuilding forum wont be much better then asking here. It is hard to get good info for us "large of stature" riders who want to be competitive in an endurance sport. Most of the time you will here "You need to be lighter." or "You would do well in TT's but not centuries.

At your weight (if you are an endomorph and not an over weight ectomorph) I would say concentrate on your cadence and try and keep it above 75rpms. You will be climbing like a mtn goat in no time as long as you keep training, getting proper nutrition and rest.

MSF
Old 09-25-06, 10:57 PM

Bikes: MBK Prospeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I drink atleast 3L of water a day and thats not including my workout days. As far as protein, I'm taking in a normal amount. The only supplement I'm taking is a one a day multi-vitamin. I never thought about the calcium thing. Thats gonna be kinda hard for me to do. I'm not lactose intolerant, but I just cant drink milk. I'm definitely not overweight. At my last body fat test I was at 13%, so I'm good.

So my plan is to just keep what I'm doing, adjust my diet a little, ride my bike and try to scare the the hell out the little guys.
Old 09-26-06, 08:21 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamPlayers
I never thought about the calcium thing. Thats gonna be kinda hard for me to do. I'm not lactose intolerant, but I just cant drink milk. I'm definitely not overweight. At my last body fat test I was at 13%, so I'm good.

So my plan is to just keep what I'm doing, adjust my diet a little, ride my bike and try to scare the the hell out the little guys.
Remember, there's lots of calcium sources other than milk. (I can't drink milk either.)
Here's a link with a table of vegan foods (definitely no milk) and their calcium content.