Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Huge freak'n feet

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huge freak'n feet

My feet are 13 1/2 and wider than a quad E. I can make a good Newbalance shoe work (their widths seem a bit more generous than most).

Anybody know of a source for bike shoes for someone with monster feet?
Old 09-21-06, 10:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear 13 double wide and the only luck I had was with some Nasbar brand shoes. I've heard Park makes more "American" sizes, but I quit wearing bike specific shoes and just went to New Balance.
Old 09-21-06, 11:24 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear a 13 EEE and the best fitting bike shoe I have used so far is the Specialized Comp MTB, size 48 (supposed to = 14 US size) with a thin gel insole inserted over the insole that comes with the shoe. Sidi also makes a wide (Mega) shoe for more money than the Specialized but I haven't tried those.
Old 09-22-06, 11:13 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi Dewey!

I'm a 13, but since I wear sneakers with platform pedals, clipless isn't a problem for me. You ever consider platform pedals?
Old 09-22-06, 12:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Northwave Hornet road shoe runs pretty big- I'm a 13 and the 48 fits very well- they have a 49 as well, but the problem is that I doubt they'll be wide enough.
Old 09-22-06, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check the Specialized Comp road shoes out. I think they go to 48 or 49. I wear a 47 and it is plenty wide. I tried the Sidi mega and they were a little tighter.

I've also heard people say Shimano has some good wide sizes, I'm not sure they go that big though.
Old 09-22-06, 09:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. FarHorizon suggested platform pedals - That's what I've been doing. I ran some Powergrips for a few years but they kill my feet. I do like the increase in power - just not the dead feet. I figured if anyone knew where to get big shoes it'd be someone here!

If you get a line on wide shoes let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-23-06, 06:13 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
13EEEE checking in

Check out Zappos (free shipping and free shipping on returns if they don't fit so you have nothing to lose).

Also, for wide shoes https://www.bamason.com rocks.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-23-06, 09:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>Air 13EEEE checking in

Nearly my size! Air - do you ride with cycling shoes?
Old 09-23-06, 09:17 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
No...I use platforms with my mtb. I don't trust myself riding in traffic in NYC with clipless pedals...

But if you found a good shoe and attached the cleat to the bottom that could work. I use an old pair of sneakers that I was about to chuck because they looked so bad but instead I use them riding - mud, rain, I don't care.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-23-06, 02:05 PM
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dogbait
I wear a 13 EEE and the best fitting bike shoe I have used so far is the Specialized Comp MTB, size 48 (supposed to = 14 US size) with a thin gel insole inserted over the insole that comes with the shoe. Sidi also makes a wide (Mega) shoe for more money than the Specialized but I haven't tried those.
Word. I'm wearing my size 45 Specialized Comp MTBs right now after just having taken my bike to the comic book store, coffee shop, grocery store and into a convenience store for some Gatorade and I adore these things. Great stiff sole but still really walkable.

I use them with Eggbeater C, pedals, by the way, and both the Crank Bros. standard and premium cleats fit really well.

And for about 1/3 the price of the Sidi Mega Genius.