Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

open pro or cxp33?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

open pro or cxp33?

Old 09-13-06, 11:44 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
open pro or cxp33?

My rear MA3 rim ripped apart after 5k of problem free (never needed a truing) riding 2" crack on each side of a spoke.

Anyway I have a choice to repace with open pro or cxp33 at basically the same price. I picked op since Shop said they were much stronger (than MA3) and wouldn't crack like they did. But I really don't know enough to be able to pick one over the other.

Al
Old 09-13-06, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
both the cxp3 and OP are fine rims and you can't go wrong with either.

if you're a heavier rider (say, 200+?) or you want a slightly more aero rim, you might get the CXP.

the OP is a more traditional profile and is a very strong rim in its own right. you'll be fine.
Old 09-13-06, 12:07 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by brunning
both the cxp3 and OP are fine rims and you can't go wrong with either.

if you're a heavier rider (say, 200+?) or you want a slightly more aero rim, you might get the CXP.

the OP is a more traditional profile and is a very strong rim in its own right. you'll be fine.
Thanks. That does help, since I didn't know any reasons to pick one over the other, I thought I'd ask before I picked one solely on a whim. Now it seems that a whim is fine.

Al
Old 09-13-06, 01:39 PM
ganbatte!

Bikes: '06 Vanilla touring, '09 Vanilla cx, Zanconato cx, Moots Psychlo-X RSL prototype, Nagasawa track, Kalavinka track, Black Cat 29er, Cannondale Rize 2 26er, Serotta CRL Legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Open Pros are also significantly lighter, and available with ceramic coated sidewalls if you were to run a brake...
Old 09-13-06, 01:43 PM
Get the stick.

Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The MA3's have a reputation for cracking around the spoke holes. Open pros have double eyelets that make them much more reliable in this regard. Not sure if the CXP33's have eyelets or not.
Old 09-13-06, 01:46 PM
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by darkmother
The MA3's have a reputation for cracking around the spoke holes. Open pros have double eyelets that make them much more reliable in this regard. Not sure if the CXP33's have eyelets or not.
This was not a radial crack that started at the spoke hole, but instead the center part of the rim pulled out with a 1.5" long crack on either side of the hole along the edge of the rim. An area about the size of a dime surrounding the spoke hole had no cracks at all.

Al
Old 09-13-06, 02:19 PM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmother
my cxp10s dont... i think its because perhaps its prohibitive to get eyelets to fit the V profiles on "aero" rims
Old 09-13-06, 02:29 PM
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many of the CXP rims, cxp30, cxp14, and cxp33, have an internal nipple bed, so eylets are not necessary.
Old 09-13-06, 02:52 PM
J.A.M

Bikes: Pista

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have never tried cxp 33's ... but i have used open pros now for about 2 years....

i have put them through hell. i feel bad for them. i do everything to them but wipe my ass with them.

everyday they are true and ready for more abuse. They have been trued twice in 2 years. they might not be as pretty but i havnt figured out how to break them yet.
Old 09-13-06, 02:55 PM
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auk
Many of the CXP rims, cxp30, cxp14, and cxp33, have an internal nipple bed, so eylets are not necessary.
Many of these rims use a proprietary eyelet. It is not a normal rivet style eyelet but internal. They are Alu as well so they keep weight down a bit. The CXP line are some of the strongest rims out there.
Old 09-13-06, 03:02 PM
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no experience with open pros, but i had cxp33s for about 6 months and liked them.
Old 09-13-06, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,483 Times in 1,096 Posts
What Brunning said +1....

I am both heavy and death to wimpy gear. I've had my cxp33's for four years.
My LBS said a year ago the wheels were dying, I bought rims and hubs to replace them.
They're in the cellar, the wheels are still cranking. One of these years I'll have to replace them.

OTOH, you prob weigh 100 pounds less than I do, and the Open Pros are what I would ride if I was under 200. Although it is such a pain losing weight that if I ever do get to 200.... I may blow a grand just on wheels to celebrate. That or a custom frame. But I digress... Open Pros are, IMHO, the best general purpose road rim on the market. Btw, the wife has the ceramic pair, the brake coating wears fast. I think Ultegra hubs and OPs are a perfect match.
Old 09-13-06, 03:42 PM
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by late
What Brunning said +1....

I am both heavy and death to wimpy gear. I've had my cxp33's for four years.
My LBS said a year ago the wheels were dying, I bought rims and hubs to replace them.
They're in the cellar, the wheels are still cranking. One of these years I'll have to replace them.

OTOH, you prob weigh 100 pounds less than I do, and the Open Pros are what I would ride if I was under 200. Although it is such a pain losing weight that if I ever do get to 200.... I may blow a grand just on wheels to celebrate. That or a custom frame. But I digress... Open Pros are, IMHO, the best general purpose road rim on the market. Btw, the wife has the ceramic pair, the brake coating wears fast. I think Ultegra hubs and OPs are a perfect match.
I weigh 185 now, decided to stick with the OP (to a Surly fixed/fixed hub)
Al
Old 09-13-06, 03:54 PM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride Mavic G-40's.

Bombproof.

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持