Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Home Brew Lights: Need comments on mounting choices! Pics in thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-30-06, 06:07 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

Ok folks, today a nice happy box arrived for me from Nashbar. Along with two new bottle mounts for the Schwinn commuter, it also included the Minoura 'SwingGrip' which I plan to mount my Optronics MR16 lights on. I started playing with the housings after getting the swing grip mounted on the stem and came up with 4 variations of housing positions to choose from...

First up: Lights mounted under the T bar.

Second choice: Lights mounted on front of T bar - housings hanging down.

Old 08-30-06, 06:09 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Thrid choice: Lights mounted on front of T bar - housings on top.

And lastly: Lights mounted on the top of the T bar.

I'm leaning towards #2 or #3. Maybe on an angle between #1/2?
Old 08-30-06, 06:29 PM
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

Bikes: Surly 1x1 Xtracycle, '01 Haro Flair Dave Mirra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like choice 2
Old 08-30-06, 07:14 PM
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's hard to give advice because the best position depends on your body position and hand position. One thing I will say is that you'll go crazy if your lights aren't securely fastened. I'd drill a hole for each light through the swinggrip and bolt them on. Make sure you can adjust each light up and down and side to side, that'll drive you crazy too.

Are those the chrome optronics housings? How much do they weigh? Are they metal or coated plastic?
The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org
Old 08-30-06, 08:15 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by DCCommuter
It's hard to give advice because the best position depends on your body position and hand position. One thing I will say is that you'll go crazy if your lights aren't securely fastened. I'd drill a hole for each light through the swinggrip and bolt them on. Make sure you can adjust each light up and down and side to side, that'll drive you crazy too.

Are those the chrome optronics housings? How much do they weigh? Are they metal or coated plastic?
Oh, I will be drilling the swinggrip once I make a decision on if the hole will be top-to-bottom or front-to-back.

They are the Optronics housings, they are metal. Bulbs are a pair of 20W MR16's, one is a 'power saver' 20W 8 degree spot (replaces 35W bulb), the other is a 15 degree 20W spot.

Up/Down aiming will be easy to do with the joint in the housings (as seen in photos). Left/Right aiming will be harder if I go with a front-to-back drilling.
Old 08-30-06, 08:49 PM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 508 Posts
What about mounting the lights to the Swinggrip as in choice 1, and then flipping the whole thing upside down so the Swinggrip is below the stem and the lights are on top of the Swinggrip? The lights would still be about the same height as the handlebars, but the mounts would be out of the way.
Old 08-30-06, 09:03 PM
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like option 2. Any of them would work. Option 2 looks better and seems to get the lights out of the way best.
Old 08-30-06, 09:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mount my lights right to my handle bars, and I mount them UNDER the bars.
That way when i get a flat at o'dark thirty on a rainy morning I can just flip my bike over to fix the flat and not have to worry about damaging my lights.
Old 08-30-06, 09:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a handlebar bag and had to improvise mounting my light. I used an old school metal reflector bracket that bolted through the fork. Worked pretty slick. With a little work you might get two lights mounted.

https://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...frontlight.jpg
Old 08-31-06, 05:47 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by Pompiere
What about mounting the lights to the Swinggrip as in choice 1, and then flipping the whole thing upside down so the Swinggrip is below the stem and the lights are on top of the Swinggrip? The lights would still be about the same height as the handlebars, but the mounts would be out of the way.
Putting the swing grip under the stem was plan A. Wouldn't work with the Cantiliever brake housing stop where it is unless I had about another 1-2cm length stem.

Originally Posted by Jarery
I mount my lights right to my handle bars, and I mount them UNDER the bars.
That way when i get a flat at o'dark thirty on a rainy morning I can just flip my bike over to fix the flat and not have to worry about damaging my lights.
Very good point! Hadn't thought of this and certainly something to consider. Thanks for the 'in the real world' reality check.

Originally Posted by toddw
I use a handlebar bag and had to improvise mounting my light. I used an old school metal reflector bracket that bolted through the fork. Worked pretty slick. With a little work you might get two lights mounted.

https://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...frontlight.jpg
I originally had a reflector bracket that attached to the top of the stem that I was going to use as a mounting base. Didn't quite workout for me. And with this swing grip thingy, I've got a handy place to mount the switches too!
Old 08-31-06, 10:08 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You can mount these lights till the cows come home but
what REALLY counts is finding that ONE position that lays
the most light on the road. Until you know that you're
wasting your time.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 08-31-06, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mounted my optronics underneathe the handlebars, I find this works best because you want them to be lower to the ground.
Old 08-31-06, 03:10 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Keep them low and protected by the bars for protection from crashes or even the bike falling over. Also for tight places it keeps the bike lower. And if you are down in the drops they are not in your face.