Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Soreness/Swollen Wrists

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Soreness/Swollen Wrists

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Soreness/Swollen Wrists

so i am noob to biking and after my first few rides i have have experienced swelling of my wrists directly after my rides (hybrid bike paved road) and also neck and upper back soreness.

i did have my bike fitted at the LBS and i do have some bar ends which i change positions on.

wondering what might be causing this. swelling usually goes down an hour or 2 after riding though i usally ice it a bit though my back and neck are tightened and sore still right now.

is this normal? does your body just adapt or do i need to ride differently or try a different adjustment...
Old 08-22-06, 09:52 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Possible causes:

- Rough surface riding can really beat up on your wrists. If you ride rough terrain, a front fork with suspension might be a good idea.

- The handlebars are too far forward, which makes it necessary for you to stretch forward to grip the handlebars, which can put too much stress on your wrists, neck and back. If this is the case, you need to get a shorter stem or risers to raise the handlebars/move it back so you don't have to stretch forward so much. I think this is the most likeliest cause.

- The frame is too short. This would cause a very upright posture and cause you to put stress on your wrists. If you got an LBS fitting this would be the least likely cause. But just in case this is what's wrong, the fix is to either get a longer/lower stem, move the saddle back if it's on rails, or get a bike with a bigger frame.

Good luck.

Last edited by LongIslandTom; 08-22-06 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-23-06, 08:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well i am going to have to guess its #2 because 90% of my ride was on paved surface.
the 07 cirrus sport has a carbon fiber front and back fork. not quite suspension but better than plain aluminum.

the LBS i went to was the most knowledgeable one in the area. they are all hardcore bikes and people come to that one from all over because they are known for their great fittings which took about 40 minutes with the whole string and weight thing to check knee height and i wated an extra week for them to get a bike in my size they also checked sitting angles etc.

maybe its the handlebars are currently at their lowest position from what i can tell. it might just be in need of minor adjustments or maybe i need to adjust how i ride. i guess i will know in a few weeks or so.
Old 08-23-06, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Wrist pain can be tough to solve. When I rode a DF bike, wrist pain just showed up one day. I got a stem that is so long (at a flea mkt) that I doubt the lawyers would let them sell it today. It made a huge difference. But soon, the upright posture made my butt tired and prostate problems arrived. I tried several seats that were helpful, but that problem went away when I put the bars down a bit. Guess what, wrist pain came back. I quit for 4 years, then bought a recumbent. This was much better all around. Then wrist pain came back. I had the h-bars modified; some help. Then I had new bars made up ($200.00) that solved the problem. Now I ride without pain at all., and it's great. The point; you may have to try many possible solutions before you hit pay dirt. Don't give up if the first few changes don't completely solve the problem. bk
Old 08-23-06, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Odds are if you are a NOob than you need to build up the muscles in your back, arms and wrist et al. You are not strong enough in the correct places to properly hold up your body at the angles needed to ride your bike. Just take it easy riding your bike until you can get in proper riding shape. Also, you might want to take as much weight off of you wrist as possible trying to use your back instead to support your body.