Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thumbs up to summer rain.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 04:00 PM
These go to 11.

Bikes: 06' Trek 7.5 FX, '09 Dawes Steel SST

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the week off from work so Mother Nature decides to have torrential downpours all week. I stayed off my bike since Saturday but had cabin fever BIG-TIME today. Sooooooo, knowing full well I was gonna get caught in some pretty bad storms later on I grab the bike & head on out. About 1 hour in to my ride the skies darkened the wind picked up & a light rain began to fall.

I headed toward the trail in a local park, 6 cars in the entire parking lot. 3 miles of inter-looped trails along the waters edge all to myself. I finish up as the rain begins to let up & I head back onto the road ways. The sky opens up like a mofo! Torrential downpour for about 30 minutes followed by another 45 of heavy rain, warm rain. Oh yes my friends, I'm having the time of my life.

I'm soaked head to toe with my Cygo-lite Dual Cross reflecting the rain before me and my Cateye LD-1000 taking care of the rear. I'm passing motorist who have stopped along the shoulder jaws agape at the cyclist who dares ride in such a downpour. Another 20 minutes & the rain lightens up as I make way way back to the park trails. Along the trail I see sunshine breaking through the tree canopies, I head for open ground. The clouds parted just long enough for the sun to help dry my clothes as I continued riding.

I stop on an open pier and munch down on a Peanut Chocolate Chunk Peak Bar, washing it down with Cytomax & water. The fish are jumping, a crane swoops down onto an exposed wooden piling & the sun ducks back behind the clouds once again. I finish eating & head back home where I clean my bike, service the chain & think about the best 4 hours I have had in a long time.

Warm summer rain, I love it.

Last edited by DavidLee; 06-27-06 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
David, I'm glad you're having fun. Yesterday, about this time, the wind picked up to about 40 or 50mph, and the dust blew like a sandblaster. I can see trees waving around again tonight - 5 minutes before end of shift.

Enjoy it. All we get is dust.
Old 06-27-06, 05:24 PM

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
David, sounds like a terrific experience. I usually shy away from inclement weather but after reading your post I may have to reconsider.
Old 06-28-06, 04:25 AM
credulous

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I agree, nothing like riding in a warm summer rain. I got caught in a downpour last Thursday about a quarter mile from my house. My first thought was to head home, which I did. After absorbing the wonderful smell from the warm asphalt and riding though a few puddles it took me back to childhood days. I rode right past my house with a big wet smile on my face and rode about another 7 miles.
Old 06-28-06, 07:02 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidLee
Warm summer rain, I love it.
After riding my motorcycle in the reain for years and starting to pedal a mountain bike last winter, pedaling in the rain doesn't seem bad to me - you get to see some glorious sights when it quits, it creates some serious solitude at times when there would be more people out and it cools you off too.
Old 06-28-06, 12:51 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
One of the things I love about Costa Rica is that there isn't anything BUT warm rains. People come here to visit and have all kinds of rain gear - you can tell people who have been here for a while - we just get wet.

Right now, the rainy season is really hitting hard - lots of rain. The air smells fresh and clean - and there is mud everywhere...

Not expected to quit soon - I think we have 7 more months.
Old 06-28-06, 01:45 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We got caught in a heavy hail storm near the end of a century last month. Hailstones bouncing of our helmets and stinging our legs (we were all in shorts). It was so heavy we had to follow in the tracks of cars that had passed, because there was a good inch on hail on the road. It lasted about 1/2 hour. We all declared it one of the best times we've ever had on a century. Go figure.
Old 06-29-06, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We don't get much rain in this arid area of the country. I've got one part of my commute where a sprinkler system saturates the road for about 50 yards. I know I'm not supposed to do this, but I started riding in the bike lane on the opposite side of the road (against traffic) during this stretch.
Old 06-29-06, 06:01 PM
These go to 11.

Bikes: 06' Trek 7.5 FX, '09 Dawes Steel SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
David, I'm glad you're having fun. Yesterday, about this time, the wind picked up to about 40 or 50mph, and the dust blew like a sandblaster. I can see trees waving around again tonight - 5 minutes before end of shift.

Enjoy it. All we get is dust.
Dust storms? I couldn't handle those.

Originally Posted by Sandie
Yep, I agree, nothing like riding in a warm summer rain. I got caught in a downpour last Thursday about a quarter mile from my house. My first thought was to head home, which I did. After absorbing the wonderful smell from the warm asphalt and riding though a few puddles it took me back to childhood days. I rode right past my house with a big wet smile on my face and rode about another 7 miles.
Nice, looks like you enjoyed your rain ride immensely.

crtreedude, I envy you just for the fact you live in Costa Rica, a beautiful place to live I'm sure.

Next week I'm gonna look at some low end hard-tails for a dedicated foul weather bike.

Originally Posted by oilfreeandhappy
We don't get much rain in this arid area of the country. I've got one part of my commute where a sprinkler system saturates the road for about 50 yards. I know I'm not supposed to do this, but I started riding in the bike lane on the opposite side of the road (against traffic) during this stretch.
I don't blame you one bit, I would do the very same thing and ride reeeaaalllll s--------l---------o----------w---------l---------y.

Last edited by DavidLee; 06-29-06 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I embrace summer rains! Forget about the weatherman and ride.
I wear spd sandals so that I dont mess up my regular shoes.

My only concern is lightning.

I am hoping to ride the Pittsburgh to Washington DC trail in August, so I do hope that the mud dries up before then.