Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Ultegra 6500 Bottom Bracket Question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-05-06, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This past weekend I installed a new Ultegra 6500 bottom bracket - the first cartridge bb that I have ever installed. When I turn the spindle with my hand it feels smooth but somewhat stiff. Is this normal for a new Shimano cartridge bottom bracket? Will this change over the life of the bb? Thanks.
Old 06-05-06, 01:16 PM
[ServletException in: / ]

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfsideflip
This past weekend I installed a new Ultegra 6500 bottom bracket - the first cartridge bb that I have ever installed. When I turn the spindle with my hand it feels smooth but somewhat stiff. Is this normal for a new Shimano cartridge bottom bracket? Will this change over the life of the bb? Thanks.
I too was surpised at how stiff my ultregra bb felt when I turned the spindle with my hand. But put your crank on there and spin that and see how smooth it is.
Old 06-05-06, 01:31 PM
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfsideflip
This is normal. I was concerned when I first got my Ultegra external BB, and several others here at the forums have asked the same question. No worries, that's how it's supposed to be.

As to whether it will change over the life of the BB, I've been riding mine for about a year now and have observed no noticeable change.