Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Be Polite: Close Doors Behind You

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 02:49 PM
The duda man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got out for a ride between rain today. Almost home, going down a nice wide street. This street is wide enough for cars parked on both sides, and cars can run both directions without pulling off, yet it's lightly traveled and residential. So, I'm coming up the hill, and there's a Suburban parked 4 or 5 ft from the curb with it's drivers door open, and the back hatch open and three or four rednecks pointing at the subwoofs I heard two blocks earlier. They saw me coming and started looking at me instead. I couldn't resist, so I acted like they were not there, no eye contact or the usual nod pass by their dumb asses, then reach out and slam their door as hard as I can LOL. As I look in my mirror, I see them walking out into the street and watching me ride off into the sunset. touche`
Old 05-14-06, 02:55 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hope the doors were locked with the keys in the ignition!
Old 05-14-06, 04:21 PM
Permanent Amateur Mark

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Nishiki MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's not really a "touche" moment as it's not witty or clever.

They just think you're some random idiot who slammed their door shut.

It would have been just as easy to say, "Hey, can you shut your doors, please?" or something like that.
Old 05-14-06, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do you always mess with things that don't belong to you??
Old 05-14-06, 05:34 PM
The duda man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B10Cycle
It would have been just as easy to say, "Hey, can you shut your doors, please?" or something like that.
They would not have been able to hear it.

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Do you always mess with things that don't belong to you??
Only when left unattended in the middle of the ****in' road by inconsiderate bastards (If I were in my van, I could have smashed into their door, and unless I said I did it on purpose, they would be found at fault, as they were not properly parked) Do you?
Old 05-14-06, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Knudsen

Only when left unattended in the middle of the ****in' road by inconsiderate bastards (If I were in my van, I could have smashed into their door, and unless I said I did it on purpose, they would be found at fault, as they were not properly parked) Do you?
Never, especially when the vehicle is "attended", as you indicated in your first post. If I was in a van, and could avoid it, and hit it on purpose, I would have the guts not to lie about it.
Old 05-14-06, 06:48 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'd suggest not messing with cars/trucks that belong to insecure young men, especially not when outnumbered. They might decide to overtake you and slam your door. And you don't even have a door
Old 05-14-06, 06:50 PM
The duda man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You lost me pal. You don't know me. If you did, you would know I don't lie.

I didn't say I would hit anything on purpose. I said I could.

Re-read, OK, I got it (never said I was schmardt). They were behind it, ten feet from the door. If the door was attended, they would have been beside it. They could have closed it themselves. But they were on the other end of the burbon.
Old 05-14-06, 06:51 PM
The duda man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
I'd suggest not messing with cars/trucks that belong to insecure young men, especially not when outnumbered. They might decide to overtake you and slam your door. And you don't even have a door
LOL good point, but they were old rednecks like me...
Old 05-14-06, 07:40 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
So let me understand this, the road was wide enough not to cause you a problem but you decided to slam their doors. So maybe the next time they see you they'll make you into a hood ornament? Yeah you really showed them and advanced the cause of biking, didn't you?

"..............some people should just walk or take the bus"
Old 05-14-06, 08:43 PM
The duda man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jesus tap dancing Christ guys, never mind! I made it all up, but in my mind I did it. So now I am a liar and I'm mean and disrespectful to others. So everyone can be happy. Now the Legal Dept., or the Moral Behavior Dept., or who ever you are can go out for a smoke and relax. Of course donnamb not included! Cuz donnamb thinks like me. Sorry donnamb, guilty by association.

I support Walmart, and their employees, and their families. Their bikes aren't perfect. Neither am I.
Old 05-14-06, 08:49 PM
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You should have pulled out your tazer and tazed them both for endangering your well-being.

If I'd be in a car, I would have just layed on the horn until they got the message.
Old 05-15-06, 10:25 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
... going down a nice wide street. This street is wide enough for cars parked on both sides, and cars can run both directions without pulling off, yet it's lightly traveled and residential.
You are fortunate to have streets where the pace of life is in a lower gear and friends and neighbors can hang out in the street checking out each others trucks and toys, where kids can play catch in the street.

To bad you ruined it by slamming the door on how a neighborhood used to be before it turned into a race track where no one should dare hang in the street for fear of slowing those who are in such a hurry.

Next time it's a cyclist riding too slow in this street and are in your way, be sure to shove them over too.

Al
Old 05-15-06, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did someone mention Bourbon?
Old 05-15-06, 02:56 PM
Fat Guy in Bike Shorts!

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLBandit
Did someone mention Bourbon?
no it was a sub-bourbon. probably jack daniels or something (wannabes)
Old 05-15-06, 06:32 PM
Speed Demon *roll eyes*

Bikes: 1998 specialized s-works mtn bike / 2005 Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is one of the funniest threads I have read in a while cheers!
Old 05-15-06, 07:43 PM
The duda man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have restored my faith in humanity. I came in here tonight with the full intention of removing my text from all of my posts and appologizing to admins for any trouble I may have caused. Now I see the good people with smiles on their faces come out at night.

Bourbon, yes, oh, my how I wish so. I am a redneck from the North end, by the tracks, x-sailor, can't afford the good stuff wannabe or not, so it will be cheap rum for me! Whooooo-boy, puts a burn in the throat. FLBandit I did not mean to imply you are mean, maybe a day off or in an earlier time zone. Maybe you are sitting across from the car wash peeling the lablels off your buds. My last trip to the Philippines, I brought back some ESQ (Tanduay) Rum, smooth as silk at less than $1 a bottle. Makes Ronrico taste like gasoline. You guys out West can ask any sailor over 30 or a Filipino. Cheers my good men.

Mean people suck. Don't ever forget it. What I did might not be nice, but a lot of you are not nice to anyone. You should read your own posts. I was beginning to think you have to make 6 digets or wear funny shorts to post here. Try working at Walmart for a shift or two, flipping burgers for a night, or scouping **** at a mushroom farm for a couple of years. For those I upset, get over it. I'm an *******, it's my job. What's your excuse? If I hate you, it's my fault. I should have taken the time to get to know you well enough to undersatand why you are what you are. If you hate me, it doesn't hurt me. It hurts you. People are not the same where ever you go. They are very regeonal. They think differently, based on how they were brought up. Once you get over that, you've got something to build on. Until then, you only have prejudice and intolerance.

"Take a flying f--- at a rolling doughnut, take a flying f--- at the moon!" Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (The only famous person ever who refused to leave Indianapolis)
Old 05-15-06, 09:49 PM
Pants optional!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have restored my faith in humanity. I came in here tonight with the full intention of removing my text from all of my posts and appologizing to admins for any trouble I may have caused. Now I see the good people with smiles on their faces come out at night.

Bourbon, yes, oh, my how I wish so. I am a redneck from the North end, by the tracks, x-sailor, can't afford the good stuff wannabe or not, so it will be cheap rum for me! Whooooo-boy, puts a burn in the throat. FLBandit I did not mean to imply you are mean, maybe a day off or in an earlier time zone. Maybe you are sitting across from the car wash peeling the lablels off your buds. My last trip to the Philippines, I brought back some ESQ (Tanduay) Rum, smooth as silk at less than $1 a bottle. Makes Ronrico taste like gasoline. You guys out West can ask any sailor over 30 or a Filipino. Cheers my good men.

Mean people suck. Don't ever forget it. What I did might not be nice, but a lot of you are not nice to anyone. You should read your own posts. I was beginning to think you have to make 6 digets or wear funny shorts to post here. Try working at Walmart for a shift or two, flipping burgers for a night, or scouping **** at a mushroom farm for a couple of years. For those I upset, get over it. I'm an *******, it's my job. What's your excuse? If I hate you, it's my fault. I should have taken the time to get to know you well enough to undersatand why you are what you are. If you hate me, it doesn't hurt me. It hurts you. People are not the same where ever you go. They are very regeonal. They think differently, based on how they were brought up. Once you get over that, you've got something to build on. Until then, you only have prejudice and intolerance.

"Take a flying f--- at a rolling doughnut, take a flying f--- at the moon!" Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (The only famous person ever who refused to leave Indianapolis)
Man, this is pure gold!