Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 09:23 AM
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Bikes: Trek 1000, Schwinn Frontier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot

Hey all,
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a bike I found via craigslist. My dad's currently on the lookout for a cheap way to get into road biking, but isn't sure if he wants to spend the bucks on a new bike.

It's about the right size, and the price seems pretty good - $50.

I'm not well versed on vintage bikes, but I've seen many Peugeots in this forum, and assume it's generally a nice bike. I think it's really nice looking, and I'd take it off his hands if he ended up not liking it, or bought a new one later on.

Here is the description:

Super condition - very little use. Fresh tune up - working smoothly. Michelin tires in super condition. Quick release 27 inch wheels. Huret components. 1983 vintage. Carbolite 103 steel frame, 59cm size. GORGEOUS!

Old 04-19-06, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a lower-end Peugeot, but in great condition, it appears, so the price makes it a good deal.
Old 04-19-06, 10:44 AM
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
It's a lower-end Peugeot, but in great condition, it appears, so the price makes it a good deal.
I'm glad you say so, because I just bought it! Well, sorta - I told the guy it's as good as sold, as long as there aren't any major indiscrepencies at the time of pickup.

It's funny though, I found an old Raleigh (53cm - way to small) in the trash about 3 weeks ago, and have been slowly fixing it up in my garage. Completely dissassembling every single components, cleaning lubing, reassembling, etc. I even sent the frame home with a coworker, whos son is getting into autobody and painting. Overall, I'll probably be spending ~$150 to restore the bike, and it's definitely bottom end. I doubt I'll even be able to get my money's worth if I were to sell it.

It's nice to find a bike that's actually my size, and needs very little work. It just makes my effort with the other bike seem that much more futile. Oh well, I'm learning a lot and having fun in the process, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

The hard part is going to be leaving the Peugeot at my Dad's, should he decide he wants it! Cheers.
Old 04-19-06, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LSPR_MTU
The hard part is going to be leaving the Peugeot at my Dad's, should he decide he wants it! Cheers.
That's the best part. Your dad will be your riding partner!

Congratulations on your find!
Old 04-19-06, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It looks to be a Peugeot P6, circa 1983, which sold for $189 US, so given the apparent condition it was a good deal. Sometimes there is a sticker on the bottom indicating the model number and size. The first number in the serial number will indicate the year of manufacture, though the model year could be one year more modern if it was built late in the year. BTW, the correct name for the color is Vivid Blue.
Old 06-07-06, 08:16 PM
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again. Just finished with the bike - for now. I thought I'd post some pictures.

I decided to go with yellow stuff - because I think it looks cool with the blue. The wheels are weinnman alloy with stainless spokes - definitely bottom-end but they should do the job nicely for $50.

I grabbed this derailer off an old Raleigh that I found - Shimano Tourney. I have an STX that I'd like to put on, but I'm still trying to get ahold of an adapter claw.

Cheapo one-piece crank. If I get to where I ride this bike regularly, I think I'll put on a nashbar double.

I changed out the old stem shifters for these $15 sunrace indexed clamp-on downtube shifters (7speed). Also a decent shot of the bar tape - this is my first try taping bars, so I think it turned out pretty well.

The new Tektro levers I bought for abour $25 - I think this is probably the nicest part I put on the bike, very nice levers for the price.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I went out for a little 5-miler tonight - everything seems pretty good. The shifting is clean, but not crisp. I think the next time I put money into this bike will be for a new crankset, and then to redish the rear wheel and stick a hyperglide 7-speed freewheel on there - should be much smoother. I've seen several bikes like mine around this forum, so I'm anxious to see other people's finished products.

Last edited by LSPR_MTU; 06-08-06 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-07-06, 08:20 PM
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more big pic for good measure.

Old 06-08-06, 02:21 AM
ot.net slave

Bikes: Salsa mtb * 3, Intense mtb * 1, Abeni SS rd * 1, Salsa road/touring * 2, Trek Damn one * 1, Vintage/projects * many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice work - a solid rider. I love those brake levers too.

- Joel
Old 06-08-06, 09:09 AM
Just ride it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 Peugeots right now, both with Carbolite frames and one for sale. They are both great bikes! Yours looks like a very clean frame! SWEET! I'd take it!
Old 06-08-06, 04:17 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
That's a nice looking bike, and you did a fine job on it. I notice that it started life with stem shifter, and you moved them down to where they're supposed to be....

I like the color scheme, and I like the aero levers, too. Very nice, very clean.

I think the 7 speed conversion and the crank swap will be worthwhile upgrades.

S. J. Perelman
Old 06-08-06, 07:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what seems curious to me firstly, for an 83 is that it is lugless, but i guess thats because it was from france not canada. it seems that peugeot didn't/wouldn't use that interior lugging or whatever it is called for outsourced production. looks in really good shape, & your touches haven't hurt. if t-mar's guess is correct it is entry level club bike, but don't be afraid to make reasonable upgrades, as you remarked. like bigbossman stated, upgrades wouldn't be foolhearty, & the ones you made look cool. the frame was the same from the entry level to mid level.(pretty much) but the crankset shows it is barely worn-in, so upgrade for looks or weighloss for now...nice one (this isn't a classic, so modernizing it is cool man!)
Old 06-08-06, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Looks like you've made some smart and worthwhile upgrades. Enjoy riding it!
Old 06-08-06, 11:49 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can those sunrace shifters be used in friction? I have a similar set-up and need a clamp on downtube conversion but I dont care much to have indexed shifting on my old red beast.
Old 06-09-06, 12:03 AM
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll join in with saying those brake levers are nice.

I'm sure their quite functional too. I really like the Tektro products I have (a pair of Crane Creek branded time trial/bullhorn levers.

I changed out the old stem shifters for these $15 sunrace indexed clamp-on downtube shifters (7speed).
I like that highly polished band and the nicely slender styling of the levers. $15? Sounds good to this old parts scrounger.
Old 06-10-06, 12:20 PM
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
That's a nice looking bike, and you did a fine job on it. I notice that it started life with stem shifter, and you moved them down to where they're supposed to be....

I like the color scheme, and I like the aero levers, too. Very nice, very clean.

I think the 7 speed conversion and the crank swap will be worthwhile upgrades.
Thanks. I never really liked the look of stem shifters, and I figured that buy getting downtube shifters, I'd be bypassing one more section of cable casing, and they should shift that much better. I honestly didn't mind the look of the old brakes that much; I considered leaving those. But due to the fact that my Dad may actually use this bike for the MS 150 coming up in July (East Lansing), I figured I'd better put some nicer levers on there with real hoods - I use my hoods all the time.

I took the bike on a nice 23-miler on Thursday, and the shifting wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. What I did notice though was that the braking was rather weak. I can't get the bike to really stop fast, just slow down. I'll have to look into that a bit more - I may have too much toe-in on the pads, or maybe the calipers are just too weak.
Old 06-10-06, 12:46 PM
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CdnPeugeot
what seems curious to me firstly, for an 83 is that it is lugless, but i guess thats because it was from france not canada. it seems that peugeot didn't/wouldn't use that interior lugging or whatever it is called for outsourced production. looks in really good shape, & your touches haven't hurt. if t-mar's guess is correct it is entry level club bike, but don't be afraid to make reasonable upgrades, as you remarked. like bigbossman stated, upgrades wouldn't be foolhearty, & the ones you made look cool. the frame was the same from the entry level to mid level.(pretty much) but the crankset shows it is barely worn-in, so upgrade for looks or weighloss for now...nice one (this isn't a classic, so modernizing it is cool man!)
Thanks again. For now, I really don't have enough bikes for a collection or anything, so the ones I do have need to work well. I went with simple cheap upgrades that are worthy of seeing daily use. I haven't yet gotten to the point where I want to upgrade the Trek - it works as well as I'd ever need it to work - but that time may come where parts will be passed down from Trek to Peugeot.
Old 06-10-06, 12:50 PM
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by LSPR_MTU
I took the bike on a nice 23-miler on Thursday, and the shifting wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. What I did notice though was that the braking was rather weak. I can't get the bike to really stop fast, just slow down. I'll have to look into that a bit more - I may have too much toe-in on the pads, or maybe the calipers are just too weak.
The mechanical advantage, or lack of it, of the new levers may be playing a part here. You mention the pads, but I do not recall if you have replaced them with new ones. Either way, and it may sound funny, but you might take a file to the pads and rough them up a little. Make sure the pads are hitting the rim at the same time when you brake. Old pads can be like bricks. Clean your rim braking surface if you have not already done so.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 06-10-06, 12:54 PM
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juilin
Can those sunrace shifters be used in friction? I have a similar set-up and need a clamp on downtube conversion but I dont care much to have indexed shifting on my old red beast.
I'm not sure about these ones. I bought them from bikeman.com and the description doesn't say anything about changing them to friction. I know I've seen some that can be switched though. There are also plenty available that are friction only (https://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/LD1100). Friction-only may not be the nicest shifters, but they'd get the job done I suppose.
Old 06-10-06, 12:56 PM
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
The mechanical advantage, or lack of it, of the new levers may be playing a part here. You mention the pads, but I do not recall if you have replaced them with new ones. Either way, and it may sound funny, but you might take a file to the pads and rough them up a little. Make sure the pads are hitting the rim at the same time when you brake. Old pads can be like bricks. Clean your rim braking surface if you have not already done so.
The pads are brand new diacompe, and the rims are also brand new and clean. The calipers are side-pull, so the pads are almost certainly not hitting at the same time - but they should still stop the bike better than they are. I'll try the file trick, who knows?
Old 06-11-06, 09:58 AM
118AHC "Thunderbirds"

Bikes: Numerous (wife says to many)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have that same bike, a 1984 p6 everything on the bike was steel. I decided to try my first total build frame up with newer alloy stuff.

Sora 7sp gruppo,RSX crankset, sealed cartridge BB TTT bars and stem adapter for threadless stem, 700x28 high pressure tires. I need to paint the feame its not as clean as the OP

Last edited by 2372ighost; 06-11-06 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-11-06, 11:36 AM
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2372ighost
I have that same bike, a 1984 p6 everything on the bike was steel. I decided to try my first total build frame up with newer alloy stuff.

Sora 7sp gruppo,RSX crankset, sealed cartridge BB TTT bars and stem adapter for threadless stem, 700x28 high pressure tires. I need to paint the feame its not as clean as the OP
Nice bike. Your upgrades are a bit more than what I was shooting for, $$-wise. I'm already trying to weasle my wife into letting me buy a motorcycle, so I didn't want to push my luck with spending 2-hundy on upgrades for a back-up roadie!
Old 06-11-06, 08:52 PM
118AHC "Thunderbirds"

Bikes: Numerous (wife says to many)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do both, I carry "my bike of the day" on the back of my Goldwing to rides since my motorcycle is my main mode of transportation.