Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Would you drive 372 miles to work each day?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 04-17-06, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

372 miles round-trip a day

BY CHIP JONES
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Apr 15, 2006

Give your opinion on this story

Think you have a long drive to work?

Meet Dave Givens, an electrical engineer from Mariposa, Calif. Five days a week he drives 186 miles one way from his home to Cisco Systems Inc. in San Jose.

That's a round-trip journey of 372 miles a day, a drive that takes a total of seven hours.

He makes the trip five days a week and has been doing so since 1989.

Givens' commute means that every year he's motoring about the same distance as driving nearly 40 times from Richmond to Los Angeles -- a distance of 2,293 miles.

Givens was crowned "the ultimate road warrior" by Midas Inc. this week, the culmination of the muffler maker's search for "America's Longest Commute."

Givens out-drove thousands of other entrants for a grand prize of $10,000 in gas money along with four Bridgestone tires with a total value of $470.

The contest was part of Midas' celebration of its 50th anniversary.

Explaining his mind-boggling commute, Givens said in a statement released by Midas: "I have a great job and my family loves the ranch where we live. So this is the only solution."

Mariposa is in the Sierra Nevada mountains, near Yosemite National Park.

To stay awake, he listens to the radio and drinks a lot of coffee.

Second place went to Jeffrey Haussy of Georgetown, Ill., with a one-way commute of 175 miles north to his job with American Airlines at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This story is insane folks. Can you imagine spending 35 hours a week or about 75 days a year on the road just to go to work? It's incredible what men do to keep a lifestyle for their family that has tremendous sacrifice.

I said this before but you couldn't pay me enough to drive that distance each day. My nerves would be shot at the end of each day. We take it for granted that most of us can either bike or take public transportation to work. Some of us can even walk!

I guess this guy doesn't know how much he has to suffer each day and thinks it's normal.
Old 04-17-06, 11:45 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve quoted in news article
"Explaining his mind-boggling commute, Givens said in a statement released by Midas: "I have a great job and my family loves the ranch where we live. So this is the only solution.""
Maybe his family loves the ranch, but how can he like being with his family if he spends so much time away from them driving?
Surely he could arrange for some work from home options and/or condensed work week where he sleeps in apartment near work for say 3 nights a week. In net he'd end up with far more time at the ranch and maybe only do the commute 2x/wk (still absurd by Living Car Free standards of course)
Al
Old 04-17-06, 12:12 PM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
what a waste of time, engery, and resources. that is the only solution he can come up with?
Old 04-17-06, 12:16 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by timmhaan
what a waste of time, engery, and resources. that is the only solution he can come up with?
But he won $10,470 for his dedication.

Here is the full Midas press release

https://www.midasinc.com/phoenix.zhtm...027&highlight=

Quote of distiction:
"Let's face it, he [the winner] needs all the help he can get!" (no kidding )

".... public transportation driving were not considered a daily commute. Motorcycles, buses, and all forms of public transportation were not eligible forms of transportation for daily commute." What about bicycles?

Al

Last edited by noisebeam; 04-17-06 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-17-06, 12:23 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Why dosesn't he at least get an apartment near work (within biking distance) and make the car trip only on weekends?

He's a moron. There's no possible rational explanation for this behavior.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-17-06, 12:26 PM
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by Roody
He's a moron. There's no possible rational explanation for this behavior.
The only thing I can think of is that he hates being with his family and his life in general. Why else would someone want to spend so much extra time away from them (by choice) and in the confines of a car?

Al
Old 04-17-06, 12:39 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Bet he has a big soft butt and hemorrhoids.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-17-06, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Maybe his family loves the ranch, but how can he like being with his family if he spends so much time away from them driving?Al
Agreed.

I suspect, he probably wakes up at 4 in the morning to get dressed and out the door by 4:30 or 5:00 o'clock the latest. Engineers usually don't go home by 5:00 (especially management) so he's probably home by 8 or 9 (or later) each night. In other words, if he intends to get up by 4 he'll practically has to go to sleep right away.

I'm sure his family loves the ranch but it's all at his expense! He's the one doing all the hard work and sacrifice. Make no doubt about it, his commute is practically a full time job in itself. I know people who live in "Ranch Style" homes and have no where near the commute he does each day. You can't tell me his family wouldn't be happy living in a home closer to his job even it ment giving up the ranch.

Bottom line is there is more to life than traveling and that's called quality of life. His family has a high quality of life but HE doesn't and is making the ultimate sacrifice when it's not necessary. One day, I'm sure he'll figure this out but by then, most of his life's free time would have been wasted on the road to nowhere. That's the point I was trying to make.
Old 04-17-06, 01:11 PM
Arizona Dessert

He would save money by renting a $1000/mo. place near work and only going home for the weekends. He could then work an official 12hr. work day 4 days/wk and have a 3 day weekend which would get him more awake time with his family.

372mi/day*200workday/year = ~75k miles per year of commuting alone. Thats >$20k/yr. of wear and tear and gas expenses. He probably goes thru a car new every 3 years of so.

Al
Old 04-17-06, 05:09 PM
J E R S E Y S B E S T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either he makes a whole lot of money and works minimal hours, or, I dunno... There's gotta be more details to this, or this guy is just stupid

Man, and I was fretting over my potential 25 mile commute.
Old 04-17-06, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe anyone rewards that crap.

He's been doing it for 15 years (approx)
7 hrs a day, *5 *52 *15 = 27,300hrs

What a waste of a life.

Did it say what car he drives?
He could probably just buy a plane, seriously.

I hope to **** he was an anomaly.
Old 04-17-06, 07:38 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My husband and I were in a similar situation 10 years ago, he had a 70 mile one way drive to his office and I had a 65 mile drive in the opposite direction to university. We were in a rural area with no public transit so cars were the only way to go at the time. After the initial excitement of driving very fast turbo-charged rice rockets wore off, the driving became a real chore.

As soon as they upgraded our local telephone exchange, my husband gave up the driving and started telecommuting. I had to keep doing the 130 mile round trip for another 4 years - yes, I could have taken an apartment or something near the university but then I wouldn't have been home to see my husband each night and that was (and still is) important to me. So maybe this guy feels the same, sure he might not see his kids except on weekends, but he sees his wife.

Mind you, I knew that I would only have to do this drive until I finished my degree - there is no way I would have contemplated that kind of existence indefinitely and no way would I still be doing it after 17 years (like the guy in the article). I agree it makes his family sound rather selfish too - they are happy for him to spend many hours on the road, so that they can enjoy their ranch life while he has no life at all. I find it rather sad actually.
Old 04-17-06, 08:21 PM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
after 17 years the guy probably doesn't know anything else. he's probably so used to that drive he just goes on autopilot everyday and gets it done. similar to how people come home and sit to watch TV for 4 or 5 hours before bed. i'm sure he really doesn't know what he is missing.
Old 04-17-06, 08:50 PM
faster than you are

Bikes: GF Paragon, Merlin Solis, Lemond Poprod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um are you kidding me...Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. That dude should get a single engine plane and fly to work or something. I can't believe that someone rewarded him for wasting time and gas like that. Oh well people think I'm stupid too...
Old 04-17-06, 09:45 PM
Lurker extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking he should fly to work as well. If he owns a ranch, he could easily put together a grass runway and get a good reliable plane for less than $50K. The fuel costs would be a little higher, but the commute would be a lot more enjoyable.
Old 04-17-06, 11:35 PM