Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2005 CFR... Stripped Nude.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ALERT...THREAD DRUDGE

UPDATE...new pic @ post #39

--------------------
Finally got a chance to (re) build up my commuter. A 2005 Scattante CFR Double.

Picked up the bike last year when they were going for $1200 (after coupon), and have loved the ride. Nice and dead, like wood, just the way I expect carbon to be.

I have built/owned and subsequently sold other full monocoque HM carbon rides prior to this one, that are 4X the price of the CFR, and personally think that the 2005 CFR was a STEAL for the price (as other CFR owners in this forum can attest to). The ride is more forgiving than other famous brands, and is not as stiff, as other carbon frames out there, but hey for $1200, what do you expect?
Currently, I find myself more attached to my steed of mountain bikes, and use the CFR as a 'diversion' from the single track.

Regardless, when I got the bike, it rode great but I hated the look of the decals and black/fade paintjob, so out came the random orbital sander, and after much elbow grease all the clearcoat/paint/primer was gone. Started with really rough grades, and worked my way up to really fine grades.

I shot seven coats of clear, and a final wet sand of ultra fine steel wool, and the finish can be best described as 'carbon matte'. I used stuff you can buy at any hardware store. Just took my time, all very light coats. Let the thing dry for 10 days, (got busy with school), and now the look is very similar to the understated finish of a nude carbon Cannondale Synapse.

The results are stunning. The bike no longer looks like a Supergo special and has a industrial-looking 3K carbon weave throughout and now looks like a Kestrel frame, probably rightfully so as it was made by the same maker in Taiwan (Martec).

Also did the seatpost, spacers, and fork. While I had the sander out, I decided to polish out all of the printing/decals from the Ultegra BB for a true BLING/custom look. Now the BB has a plain brushed Al look.

I recommend other carbon frame owners who wish for a nude look, to go for it, as the results can be quite distinctive. Moreover nothing like having pride in making something custom. My original intention was to strip the original bike for the parts, and to sell the frame. But now I just have to keep it considering how it turned out.

Last edited by shabbasuraj; 06-19-08 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-17-06, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love it! I plan to do the same color scheme with a pedal force frame over the summer. There really isn't anything better than a no-decal bike! Glad you like it, as I sure do!
~Nick
Old 04-17-06, 12:44 AM
Nightrider

Bikes: Ellsworth , Scott , Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice....Is stealth black the look these days? Good luck riding at night!
Old 04-17-06, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking ride!

I have an older OCLV frame I've been thinking of stripping but hadn't thought of how I'd do it. I guess a random orbital sander seems to work fine eh? Did you shoot the seven clear coats yourself or take it somewhere?
Old 04-17-06, 12:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzureDrpTp
Nice looking ride!
Did you shoot the seven clear coats yourself

Yes.

(I have subsequently edited my post above.)

Last edited by shabbasuraj; 04-17-06 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-17-06, 01:10 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Yes. Finally someone posts more of the "no decals on every sq mm" type bike that we all love. Excellent. I would totally hit that.
Old 04-17-06, 02:29 AM
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread should be R rated with that much nudity very nice
Old 04-17-06, 02:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I'm a proud CFR owner, but I never thought I'd see the frame look so good. It's a great bike, but the large brand names on the frame and fork are hideous. It's amazing how pretty it looks with all that stripped off. Kudos! Now go ride it!
Old 04-17-06, 02:42 AM
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I'm not sure if that's safe, but she looks great for sure.
Old 04-17-06, 04:29 AM
Never fear the hills...

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR Advanced, 2010 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro, 2011 Redline Monocog Flight 29r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what a difference some missing clear and black paint can make. I've got a 2005 CFR in 53cm and love it as well. I'm not ready to take the sander to it (fear of something going wrong) but it should does make me think about it.

Did you happen to weight just the frame while it was all apart? I've been wondering about it but haven't had time to strip it to the bare frame since I'm trying to ride it every chance I get.
Old 04-17-06, 06:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, it looks great, very sharp, but is it safe to do this to a carbon frame?
Old 04-17-06, 08:25 AM
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
terrific work. great results.
Old 04-17-06, 08:37 AM
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flywolf
First, it looks great, very sharp, but is it safe to do this to a carbon frame?

Yes, it's safe to strip, lightly sand and repaint any kind of frame, steel, titanium, aluminium, and yes, even carbon.

Carbon fiber bikes are not fragile, nor is carbon some kind of "black-box" technology that requires extreme care when working with it. How do you think carbon fiber bikes that come from the factory coated in paint are painted?
Old 04-17-06, 08:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Yes, it's safe to strip, lightly sand and repaint any kind of frame, steel, titanium, aluminium, and yes, even carbon.

Carbon fiber bikes are not fragile, nor is carbon some kind of "black-box" technology that requires extreme care when working with it. How do you think carbon fiber bikes that come from the factory coated in paint are painted?
I see, do you loose the frame warranty then?
Old 04-17-06, 09:43 AM
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The thing about stripping and sanding a carbon frame is that it's fairly easy to go past the clearcoat and into the carbon weave, which on a lot of frames, is nothing more than a cosmetic layer. It takes a special touch and confidence to do it just right. If the goal is to paint over the weave, no problem. It's a little trickier if you want to go with the nude look.

The CFR looks good. Did you run into any problems? Any other photos?

55/Rad
Old 04-17-06, 10:14 AM
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flywolf
I see, do you loose the frame warranty then?
Read the fine print.
Old 04-17-06, 10:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
The thing about stripping and sanding a carbon frame is that it's fairly easy to go past the clearcoat and into the carbon weave, which on a lot of frames, is nothing more than a cosmetic layer. It takes a special touch and confidence to do it just right. If the goal is to paint over the weave, no problem. It's a little trickier if you want to go with the nude look.

The CFR looks good. Did you run into any problems? Any other photos?

55/Rad

I shall post some more photos, when I get some more.

Thanks for the comments people.

Prior to clearcoating, I actually repainted the dropouts and FD braze-on parts black, as these metal bits did get scratched in the paint removal process.

Aside from that no issues. The paint and primer was difficult to remove in the 'tighter' areas, of the frame. i.e., the areas behind the BB, and some of the webbing areas.

All it takes is patience, and elbow grease for areas where the fine attachment of the sander could not reach.
Old 04-17-06, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Now give it a custom job

If you want to do something really awsome get one of those spray can areosol deals and use some Golden Acrylic Iridescent paint. I experimented with some sloppy brushed coats on my steel frame. The pigment load is very heavy and it adheres pretty good. With a clear coat you could have a really unique looking frame. I would recommend the iridescent copper fine. You could have that metallic color changing effect for reasonably cheap.
Old 04-17-06, 11:31 PM
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overall the look is good, it's when you look closer.... The head tube area looks like there was sand through, and that bottom bracket area doesn't look that healthy, or aesthetically pleasing to me.
Old 04-17-06, 11:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weave beneath the paint was not perfect. There was 'overlap' and the BB areas had overlapped weave areas, areas with no weave i.e.just grey, and some areas had both weave portions and areas that were 'marbled' kinda like a Campy Carbon crank.

I guess this is the reason as to why some makers paint some of these areas black. To hide stuff. I have seen a few Scotts with the black painted BB.

On the other hand, for more cash, you can have a cosmetically better 'weaved bikes' like the BH Global Concepts seen here...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...berty_bh_davis

I guess, you get what you pay for.

I did not sand through the weave.

Last edited by shabbasuraj; 04-18-06 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 05:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B E A UTIFUL i have a fetish for blank bikes lovin it
Old 04-18-06, 06:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
The weave beneath the paint was not perfect. There was 'overlap' and the BB areas had overlapped weave areas, areas with no weave i.e.just grey, and some areas had both weave portions and areas that were 'marbled' kinda like a Campy Carbon crank.

I guess this is the reason as to why some makers paint some of these areas black. To hide stuff. I have seen a few Scotts with the black painted BB.

On the other hand, for more cash, you can have a cosmetically better 'weaved bikes' like the BH Global Concepts seen here...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...berty_bh_davis

I guess, you get what you paid for.

I did not sand through the weave.
Ahh, so sorry then..... They paint those areas to cover up the flaws. It's the bike makers fault.

Last edited by ViperZ; 04-18-06 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 07:25 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have you ever seen an unpainted ferrous frame? same thing, those aren't "flaws"--it's just how the bike is put together

not surprising to see, considering he sanded it

looks solid to me
Old 04-18-06, 07:33 AM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nice job!
Old 04-18-06, 07:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Serpico
have you ever seen an unpainted ferrous frame? same thing, those aren't "flaws"--it's just how the bike is put together

not surprising to see, considering he sanded it

looks solid to me

I suppose not really, but to my eye, they are, and I would rather have that area painted. Not trying to be an ass, just an observation. I'm sure my Trek would not look so pretty nude.

I suppose these guys put together a different way then.... Sure they cost more, and it does not mean a better ride... but it sure is pretty to look at when nude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.