Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Backpack vs Messenger bag

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-06, 05:59 AM
Wake Up America!

Bikes: Bridgestone MB-1, Expert Dave Scott, Balance MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what is the advantage of messenger bags??? I find when I put beer in my back pack it will pinch my spine, or be very uncomfy if there is a flat spot somewhere.
Old 04-01-06, 06:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually just keep one of my notebooks in my backpack to use as a buffer, and pack groceries etc. carefully so the hard but comfortable stuff is toward my back to prevent getting jabbed by cans and boxes.
Old 04-01-06, 07:05 AM
romper

Bikes: surly steamroller w/ phil woods to velocity deep v's. sugino, nitto, etc. boom shaka laka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i keep a jacket in mine as a buffer
Old 04-01-06, 07:45 AM

Bikes: GT zr 1.0, schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a backpack, now i have a mess bag. easier to take stuff out without actually havin to take it off. mess bag > backpack ...
Old 04-01-06, 08:06 AM
Doortrapper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can swing it around your shoulder to take things out/ put them in, without removing the messenger bag.
Old 04-01-06, 08:23 AM
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for larger loads, i would much prefer a backpack - one that is designed for couriers (that is, really ****ing big). when i have a messenger bag on all day, lugging **** around, i develop pain on my bag shoulder. it doesn't even necessarily require that there be particularly heavy loads. it's the simple fact that it's a bag that is only over one shoulder. i also find that this affects my posture. with a proper backpack, too, you are more able to keep packages flush against your back without having corners and **** jabbing into your kidneys or lodging under your scapula or whatnot. carrying a file box in a messenger sling bag is totally ****ing awful when compared to one in a backpack. using padding or "a buffer" can mitigate this problem, of course, but i find that messenger bags suffer from it more than backpacks - simply as a matter inherent to their designs. in any case, i think the weight distribution issue really seals the deal.

if you like the ability to get into the bag without totally removing it, you can do pretty well with a backpack by making it so that one of the straps can be unhooked so that you can swing the bag around. it's not quite as effective as just sliding a messenger sling bag around, but it's not too shabby.

the only real advantage of a messenger bag is that you can get into it while it's on, but, really, if you have a large package, you aren't going to be able to get it out without either loosening the strap to the point where the bag might as well be off or just taking off the bag.
Old 04-01-06, 08:53 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends entirely on what you use it for.
messenger bags suck when you back is relatively verticle because they put weight on only one shoulder. When you back is relatively horizontal most backpacks are really unstable though.
-If you ride in a really upright position definetly get a backback
-If you spend alot of time off your bike definetly get a backpack
-If you don't do either of the above consider a messenger bag
-if you want to look cool get a messenger bag.
Old 04-01-06, 09:33 AM
Bow$$

Bikes: Surly Instigator '02, Schwinn Traveler fixed conversion, '02 Fuji Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the real question is the price breakdown, so like if it's over 200 does that make you a hipster? over 100 makes you a posenger? does a timbuktu make you a **** gay?
Old 04-01-06, 10:01 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I have a cheap messenger bag that is not very comfortable. But when I use my more expensive backpack, which has an extra reinforced back padding, with a waist clip, it is effortless. No sway. No discomfort.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-01-06, 10:36 AM

Bikes: doesnt matter. just ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just ditched my tumbuk2 and got a chrome backbone a few weeks back. it was the greatest purchase i ever made. the backpack never slips, it distributes weight evenly, and your s**t doesnt poke your back when your riding. furthermore, that thing holds anything i want and more. its fantastic. if youre having trouble with your back or shoulders, i say get a backpack.
Old 04-01-06, 11:13 AM
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a Chrome Backbone for no other reason than I got a good deal. I figured I make my Jandd messenger bags soley for work and use the Chrome for other stuff so I dont have to empty my paper work out of the Jandds out to make a beer run or go to the gym. Anyway last night I used to carry a crap load of parts home and nothing poked me in the back, not my cranks, not the assorted cogs and chainrings nothing, so far Im very happy with it.
Old 04-01-06, 11:13 AM
ass hatchet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. take 12 PBR cans out of box
2. drink one
3. flatten box; insert as buffer
4. insert remaining 11 cans and ride away

I think the most beer fit into my Timbuk2 were 12 Leinie's Original cans and six bottles of Berghoff Pale Ale.

Good times, I wouldn't wan't to take that load much further than the two miles I ended up riding w/ it.
Old 04-01-06, 11:26 AM
whatever.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got a chrome ivan (backpack) a few months ago and i love it. holds a lot of stuff, very comfortable to bike or walk with, and its built better than any bag i've ever had. it sits very flat against my back, sort of like a messenger bag, but i like having the load distributed more evenly. also, the zippered pocket makes a really good built in laptop sleeve.
Old 04-01-06, 11:55 AM
bicycle love

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle, Trek 5500, Giant TCR Aero, Trek 9.8, Trek XO1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a camera-equipment-specific backpack to go to school and work. I use a messenger bag to ride around getting drunk or running errands. It all depends on the uses.
Old 04-01-06, 11:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if anyones in the market for a backbone, i just found out through googling that the NYBMF sells them for $130, $20 cheaper than chrome does. and it comes with a CMWC patch on it instead of the Chrome logo.
https://www.nybmf.org/shop/
Old 04-01-06, 12:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
-if you want to look cool get a messenger bag.
i think the ortleib and chrome backpacks are pretty cool looking.

i love my chrome messenger bag, but a while back, i knocked my neck and back out of wack for a while from carrying around 35 lbs of stuff for a day.
Old 04-01-06, 12:26 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Chrome Metropolis, it's pretty nice. I can hold a ton of ****, and if I adjust the strap right it feels fine.. just have to find the right 'spot' so-to-speak.

My only complaint is that if I'm carrying a bunch of bulky, odd shaped stuff it sucks, stuff jabbing into my back, etc. I just came back from the grocery store, and after re-arranging stuff three times, the gallon of soy-milk, box of dish detergent, etc, was still jabbing my kidneys.. this seems to happen alot unless I have something in the back to keep it flat..

I just took a piece of mat-board and cut it out and put it between the canvas and the neoprene/vinyl stuff, and put all the stuff back in the back, it feels a ton better. I'll see how this works, otherwise I might ditch the bag and get a backpack..
I'll let everyone know how it feels and take some pictures later on.
Old 04-01-06, 12:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'll just get this. I may be getting a laptop when I attend medical school (hopefully I get in), anyway.

https://www.ebags.com/the_north_face/...?modelid=20154
Old 04-01-06, 12:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.ebags.com/pacific_outdoor...?modelid=63984
That looks kind of cool, not too expensive either.
Old 04-01-06, 01:08 PM
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Messenger bags would not fair as well in hot weather due to the amount of of the bag is against you back becuase of the way it wraps around you, so back sweat would be a problem. Otherwise they seem to fair better then a backpack, seem more comfortable on a bike, stay put if you have it on correctly, and the reflective staps is a plus. Also, most zippers and the zipper tracks usally arent waterproof, and even those that are, could get screwed up when the teeth fail to match up correcty causing gaps which leads to a leak, which could pose as a problem, if you would rather the water stay outta of the bag. Messenger bags dont have zippers to worry about.
Old 04-01-06, 02:34 PM
anti-sheep

Bikes: generic lugged track frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would argue that depending on your riding posture the problems with bag-shoulder fatigue are not so pronounced. my seat is probably 6" or more taller than the bars, and i find that heavy loads arent so bad because most wait is ontop of my back and not on my shoulder. the only problem is when walking with a mess bag. that said, im still getting a messer style backpack for larger loads to complement my L sized chrome
Old 04-01-06, 03:17 PM
Fast and Danger

Bikes: A bunch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1143925994714

This is the bag that I use and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Nice back padding and nice shoulder padding.
Old 04-01-06, 06:21 PM
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About two weeks ago I got an Ortlieb Messenger Backpack. I still have a custom Under the Weather Heavy Gear Mess bag and before that I had a Chrome Metropolis (the Chrome had to go because the UTW was a gift -- which I cherish). I enjoy the UTW greatly, however, my separated collarbone (grade III and healed but the bone sticks out and still gets sore occasionally) wasn't dealing too well with the mess bag over longer days and longer distances (basically all day riding or being out and about).

The solution for me was a backpack for the various reasons stated above: even and better weight distribution, very comfortable when off the bike and walking around and because I'm not a messenger and have no need to pull things out of my bag very often, don't need that kind of quick accessibility.

The Ortlieb's have always attracted me with their clean lines and so has the Chrome Backbone but I had one when I first separated my collarbone and the straps were a little too close together at the top and rubbed my neck the wrong way and the straps ended up being wide and put pressure on my collarbone.

A friend had an Ortlieb I got to try out and I was impressed with their minimalist design and simple closure -- a roll top waterproof bag that had a simple velcro strap up top. The padding that comes on the back has grooves that actually do facilitate air getting between your back and the bag and feels good when you're riding. A thin flexible plastic sheet inside (with elastic bungee cords) helps the bag keeps it's rectangular shape. It has both a horizontal chest and waist strap allowing the bag to get really secure but I've had no issues riding with just the chest strap clipped.

It holds a lot of stuff -- and because it's relatively rigid, is perfect for piling from bottom to top, stuff that you'd have to arrange carefully in a mess bag to feel comfortable when you ride. It's actually quite impressive at how much it holds.

It's a remarkably comfortable bag. Long days and long rides with heavy and non-heavy loads have thus far put it to the test comfort-wise and it's come out quite well and admittedly a better bag for me while cycling.

So far, so good.
Old 04-01-06, 06:31 PM
anarchy burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite bag is my $15 canvas backpack from the army surplus store. Mine has funny straps that are kind of a pain to open/close, but I realized after I bought it they had the same bag with the easy snap ones. It's pretty enormous (I can fit 3 weeks worth of groceries in it), has padded straps, and hasn't made my shoulder hurt yet. It's meant for war so I'm sure it can survive bike riding. The only problem is it isn't water-proof, but I never usually need it to be.
Old 04-01-06, 06:33 PM
whatever.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just because threads are more better with pics, here is a crappy cell phone pic of my ivan:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
121700008_f48930071e_o.jpg (29.2 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by joshr; 04-02-06 at 12:44 AM. Reason: woops, deleted the pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.