Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

California Route Help/Advice

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 08:43 AM

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi -

My wife and I are planning to ride for about two weeks in late may/early june. The idea right now is to take a train or rental car north to somewhere on the coast in northern CA or or central oregon and and head south back to SF. Instead of just doing the coastal route all the way back, I'd like to go inland at some point and perhaps ride through sonoma and/or napa wine country. Has anyone done this or have ideas about what a good route would be that would include returning to San Francisco? On the map, it looks like a route that takes us up along the Russian River then over to Napa Valley would be nice, but that's just me looking for a map. Also, how overrun with tourists will Napa likely be that time of year?

Thanks for any help -

Kes Roberts
Athens, GA
Old 03-20-06, 09:58 AM

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Krebs has a series of bicycle maps that detail the entire SF area. Their maps don't give you just one way of getting through an area. Rather, they're like a car map for bikes, showing you multiple roads and rating them how bike friendly (elevation gain, traffic) they are. Great if you're the wandering type of tourist.

https://www.krebscycleproducts.com/T1.html

PS--Here's another reference:
https://www.adventurevelo.com/onewct.html

Never bought from them (a little expensive at $30), but their on-line descriptions aren't bad.

Last edited by rnagaoka; 03-20-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-20-06, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - that's just what I needed. I'm ordering the Krebs maps right now.

Originally Posted by rnagaoka
Krebs has a series of bicycle maps that detail the entire SF area. Their maps don't give you just one way of getting through an area. Rather, they're like a car map for bikes, showing you multiple roads and rating them how bike friendly (elevation gain, traffic) they are. Great if you're the wandering type of tourist.

https://www.krebscycleproducts.com/T1.html

PS--Here's another reference:
https://www.adventurevelo.com/onewct.html

Never bought from them (a little expensive at $30), but their on-line descriptions aren't bad.
Old 03-20-06, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kesroberts
Hi -

My wife and I are planning to ride for about two weeks in late may/early june. The idea right now is to take a train or rental car north to somewhere on the coast in northern CA or or central oregon and and head south back to SF. Instead of just doing the coastal route all the way back, I'd like to go inland at some point and perhaps ride through sonoma and/or napa wine country. Has anyone done this or have ideas about what a good route would be that would include returning to San Francisco? On the map, it looks like a route that takes us up along the Russian River then over to Napa Valley would be nice, but that's just me looking for a map. Also, how overrun with tourists will Napa likely be that time of year?

Thanks for any help -

Kes Roberts
Athens, GA
Hi,
Leaving the coast at the Russian River is a good route inland -no big hills.
I'm not aware of any railroad service you could get to take you up the coast. The Skunk Train, Willets to Ft. Bragg, is all I've heard of.
Check with diffent car rental companies on one way rental. Many don't offer it, some only to large cities/airports and there is a premium to be paid.
https://bikerlee.home.comcast.net/sfo/index.html is my website report for a trip last year.
Regards,
Lee