Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Integrated Fork on Non-Integrated head Tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 10:24 PM
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts

I know that an integrated fork can be used with a traditional headset/head tube. An integrated fork has a wide cut-out crown which butts up flush with an integrated head tube for that clean streamlined look.
This is purely cosmetic but does anyone here use an integrated fork with a traditional headset? How do they look? Thanks!
Old 02-08-06, 10:25 PM

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have and changed it out as the look just was never right.
Old 02-08-06, 11:30 PM
ec velo

Bikes: XC: PUSS; Winter Beater: GT avalanche SS; Jump: Transition Trail or Park; Fixie: Steamroller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
integrated fork???
Old 02-09-06, 02:51 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by sheba
integrated fork???
Yeah. It's a cosmetic thing. They made the crown race seat wider to match the fat head tube flair so the whole thing looks more "streamlined" There is no functional change.
Old 02-09-06, 03:45 PM
hello

The diameter of the standard (non-integrated) headset cup perfectly matches the cut-out diameter of the integrated fork crown. With the crown race installed, that should give me less than a millimeter gap between the fork crown and the headset cup. I actually prefer this look over the traditional fork crown of carbon forks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Integrated Fork Crown.JPG (36.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 02-09-06, 07:31 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You won't be looking at your fork while riding so what's the problem? I put on a used Reynolds Ouzo Comp integrated fork on my traditional headtube beater bike a couple of years ago and it looks great. Got the fork for 40 bucks so I didn't really worry much about the look, but it turned out way better than I ever thought.

Here's some pics:

https://www.cyclingseries.com/bike1.jpg

https://www.cyclingseries.com/bike2.jpg
Old 02-09-06, 08:24 PM
hello

Originally Posted by capwater
You won't be looking at your fork while riding so what's the problem?
......but I will be staring at it while sipping some java at Starbucks....
Anyway, thanks for posting those pics...
Old 02-10-06, 05:03 AM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Fixer
I know that an integrated fork can be used with a traditional headset/head tube. An integrated fork has a wide cut-out crown which butts up flush with an integrated head tube for that clean streamlined look.
This is purely cosmetic but does anyone here use an integrated fork with a traditional headset? How do they look? Thanks!

Here is the key. If you have a bike with some fat tubes commonly found in many carbon and aluminum frames, then an integrated fork + traditional headset is going to look great because the width of the upper portion of the integrated fork is going to complement the width of the fat tubes found in carbon and aluminum frames. On an old skinny tubed steel bike, an integrated fork is going to look atrocious because it will look out of proportion with the rest of the tubes on the bike.

...sooooo, if your top or down tubes on your bike are fat, and they measure in thickness of, at least, say 1 3/8" then I'd say your bike is a good candidate for an integrated fork. For example: check out this picture of this Moots frame with integrated Easton fork. I'm guessing that the down tube and top tube on that bike are in the neighborhood of around 1 3/8" to 1 1/2".

Old 02-10-06, 11:34 AM
hello

Originally Posted by bellweatherman
Here is the key. If you have a bike with some fat tubes commonly found in many carbon and aluminum frames, then an integrated fork + traditional headset is going to look great because the width of the upper portion of the integrated fork is going to complement the width of the fat tubes found in carbon and aluminum frames. On an old skinny tubed steel bike, an integrated fork is going to look atrocious because it will look out of proportion with the rest of the tubes on the bike.
Thank you and I agree. My frame is oversize tubing, including a very fat seatpost so everything should fall in its place......
Old 02-10-06, 06:17 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The Moots illustration is interesting in that the bike doesn't have an integrated headset.
Old 02-10-06, 06:36 PM
hello

Originally Posted by HillRider
The Moots illustration is interesting in that the bike doesn't have an integrated headset.
That was exactly the point of my topic....
Old 02-10-06, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My track fork looks like it should fit up against an internal headset. But I run a steel frame with a regular style FSA Orbit headset. Doesnt look to bad actualy. When it all boils down to it, is it going to make a differance in how it rides? no....so go ride the thing.
Old 02-10-06, 11:04 PM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CafeRacer
My track fork looks like it should fit up against an internal headset. But I run a steel frame with a regular style FSA Orbit headset. Doesnt look to bad actualy. When it all boils down to it, is it going to make a differance in how it rides? no....so go ride the thing.

Yeah, but your track fork is a traditional (non-integrated) style fork. So, of course, it is going to look great when paired up to a traditional headset.