Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Mangled rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 01:37 AM
re:member

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Preface:
Avoid cr@ppy chains!

I had my first warning when skipping to slow on the downhill coming to the railway crossing in anticipation of the car which overtook me after a long effort braking hard in front of me. My bike throw the chain off the chain ring while the rear cog wound it around itself rotafix method. A wheelie on the front, no fall - I was glad. My second warning was that I had to move the axle way more to the rear than before to get the tension right. Despite knowing that streached chain rides higher on the teeth, I put it back on and I was ready to continue in 5 minutes.

Just nearing my target, I pressed harder to get through the crossing before oncoming traffic - Result? This time the rear cog almost "rotacut" my drive side crank arm as the chain fall to the outside, catching the pedal spindle. Not only had I my rear wheel locked again, but also the cranks stopped in the awkward position. I managed to stay upright this time again, but the chain caught by the cog again acted as the chainsaw on my beautiful, freshly powdercoated rear fork end (first image)

The bike is out of comission until I get new, stronger chain and check for structural damage in the rear fork. I haven't touched my road bike for two months, time to say sorry

The bright side is that my home made fixing adapter survived all the torque. (second image)

Summary:
Avoid cr@ppy chains! And pay attention to the warnings you get.
Old 10-25-05, 02:25 AM
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that your bike is bruised and scraped.

However, I'm confused why is this the chains fault? Sounds more like a chain tension, chain line or other problem rather than just a crappy chain.
Old 10-25-05, 02:56 AM

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried to check for issues you mention:
Chain line is perfect - I have the spacers turned on lathe to fit.
I run axle positioners as chain tensioners - setting the right tension is no problem.

I believe the problem is that the chain elongates under hard pressure too much, to the point it is thrown off - with the same gearing I had to move the axle about 5-7mm back in the dropouts over the course of 2 months to maintain the same initail tension. I am looking into chainring not being true as another reason for the problem, but I am sure the chain streach doesn't help.
Old 10-25-05, 03:20 AM
cripple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'd be quicker to blame your cog than the chain...
look at how bad those teeth are bent...
Old 10-25-05, 03:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uniglide cogs come like that - I was trying to find straight tooth, wide base Simano casette cogs around but no luck.
Old 10-25-05, 04:45 AM
the goal

Bikes: Bob Jackson track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the cog has been carefully designed to throw the chain easily, maybe not ideal for fixed gear riding...
Old 10-25-05, 04:54 AM
cripple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i blame the cog...
Old 10-25-05, 05:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Momentum
Looks like the cog has been carefully designed to throw the chain easily, maybe not ideal for fixed gear riding...
I hope less so than the modern Hyperglide cogs . Besides, on both occasions the chain remained on the cog, it was additionally wound on itself while it fell off the chainring.

I hear wht you say, I was uneasy riding this setup last two months. Maybe its a time for a proper wheel besides trying to straighten the chainring (yes, it has some wobble) and getting a new chain.

Thanks,
v.
Old 10-25-05, 06:01 AM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vobopl
uniglide cogs come like that - I was trying to find straight tooth, wide base Simano casette cogs around but no luck.
Surly, Chris King, and endless bikes all make good replacements for the uniglide cogs that are designed for singlespeed riding (i.e., they REFUSE to throw the chain).