Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Photos of my 2005 tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Photos of my 2005 tour

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 04:30 PM
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hello folks,

Starring my two-wheeled Winnebago, here are some photos of my 2005 tour. 18 days from Montréal to Lac St-Jean region via Quebec City, Charlevoix and Saguenay. I was supposed to have 8 more days around the Mauricie region to catch the fall colors but an employee decided to quit before my trip. Well, gonna have to do that next year.

https://www.borealphoto.com/articles/...grand_tour.htm

You can click on the first pic and then click on "Page suivante" at the top or click on "images" to get back to the thumbnail page. The text is in French, it's usually just the location of the photo. If anyone is curious, just ask. It was an awesome trip.

Last edited by Erick L; 01-02-06 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 04:55 PM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You've got some great pics there, Erick - and not just of the trip.

Some of your avian shots are spectacular.
Old 10-23-05, 09:51 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I LOVED these photos Erick, BRAVO!!!! and thank you for posting them. My fifth grade son is coming to Quebec City with his school this coming spring, he was stoked when I showed him your slide show. I should come on his trip too, and bring my bike.
Old 10-23-05, 11:27 PM
The view is the reward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erick L
Hello folks,

Starring my two-wheeled Winnebago, here are some photos of my 2005 tour. 18 days from Montréal to Lac St-Jean region via Quebec City, Charlevoix and Saguenay. I was supposed to have 8 more days around the Mauricie region to catch the fall colors but an employee decided to quit before my trip. Well, gonna have to do that next year.
Really great pics. Beautiful composition on the landscape shots. I rode those towns and cities as part of a three week loop through Quebec just over three years ago. Started first week of September 2002 after Labor Day. Thanks for the memories... as the song goes.
Old 10-25-05, 04:14 PM

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Those pictures are amazing!! You've got me wanting to go to northern Quebec next summer.
Old 10-25-05, 04:22 PM
Tour de World

Bikes: Trek 520, Giant Iguana disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, noce shots. i particulary liked the ones from alberta, you did this place justice. very nice. I dont know if it says anywhere, but what camera are you using?

steve fox
Old 10-25-05, 04:29 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Absolutely stunning photos..!
Old 10-25-05, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Gardin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
magnifique!

And thanks for bringing back a forgotten memory of Lac Ha Ha -- gales of laughter erupting here recalling the summer holiday that brought us there.
Old 10-26-05, 10:35 AM
Lentement mais sûrement

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for good words everyone.

Most of the shots were made with a Nikon D70 and a few with my film SLR (F100). I carried the latter just so I would have a real wide-angle. I had about 9-10 pound of photo equipment. The Alberta shots, as most of the photos on the site, were made on 35mm film (Fuji Velvia 50 and Provia 100F).

Charlevoix is great biking... if you like hills. There's a straight 14% just before Lac Ha! Ha! where I hit 85km/h. I climbed all hills on the bike, usually in one shot. I descended one hill on foot. It goes straight down towards the St-Lawrence at 18%, then it's a sharp turn and it continue at 10%. I checked my brakes on that hill and the fork was covered with rubber from the brake pads.
Old 10-26-05, 06:08 PM

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at the pic of the gradient signs, I hope you were going DOWNHILL on those!
Old 10-27-05, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see you took the time to climb l'Acropole des Draveurs... there are very few hikes as nice as this one in this part of North America. By the way, congratulation for surviving Charlevoix... I went there last summer during my bike trip but I left my bike in Quebec City and took the ride my mom offered me.
Old 10-28-05, 05:12 AM

Bikes: 1 mtb, soon to get a tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wicked pics man
Old 11-02-05, 09:38 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

I'm bumping this, it's too good to miss. If you haven't seen the pictures at Erick's link take a few minutes now, so good.
Old 11-02-05, 09:59 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

If anyone ever asks you why on earth would anyone want to travel by bike, refer them to Ericks photos, I think they will get the answer, and a new bike too!

Again, fantastic photos!
Old 11-02-05, 10:54 PM
Lentement mais sûrement

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well, thank you Shifty.

Magic, I had quite some fun on top of the Acropole. The wind coming from the valley was crazy strong. I got rain and sleet that came from underneath! I was concerned about a comment you made on the condition of the back roads between St-Aimé-des-Lacs and St-Urbain. I turned out to be the best part of the trip! Coming from the Haute-Gorge park, rang St-Thomas is unpaved for a little less than 3km, but one can take a short detour to stay on pavement. The rest was in excellent shape. Part of rang St-Jean-Baptiste had new asphalt. I wondered if I would find my way... there were arrows with the word "velo" written at every intersection! Probably some organised tour that passed there before.

Looking at the pic of the gradient signs, I hope you were going DOWNHILL on those!

First was uphill. I came down and up the third sign and the bottom three were uphill (on the same road). But those are just a few of the hills. It's never flat in Charlevoix. The 896 meter altitude may not seem like much to our westerner friends, but that road begins at sea level, though I was already a bit inland when I began riding on it. I believe it's the highest paved road in Quebec, probably in eastern Canada.

Last edited by Erick L; 01-02-06 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 12:32 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bump, again! Need ideas for this summer touring, check out Erick's slide show.
Old 04-26-06, 02:46 PM
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You definitely have a gift. Great photos.
Old 04-26-06, 04:29 PM
Lentement mais sûrement

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
LOL Shifty. You sure like it a lot! Thank you!

I must say I'm proud of that route. Lots of variety... flats, hills, road, bike path, cities, villages, farmland and natural landscape. It was great!
Old 04-26-06, 04:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I attended Laval Univ.in Quebec City one summer to study French LOOOOONG time ago
Lived with a French Canadian family and on Saturday and Sunday when we didn't have classes a small group would scrounge up bikes and ride in the country around Quebec City

The whole province is really an unsung paradise, we rode just day trips up the eastern side of the St Lawrence River, the Ile D'Orleans , the raspberries were unbelievable, the bread coffee and pastries right behind.

Any Americans who want to dip toes in a friendly, familiar, foreign, but next door country Please give Quebec a try.

The folks are friendly, gracious, always gave us water wherever we stopped to ask,NEVER met any but really nice folks.
I try to return the favor to so many of our French Canadian visitors here in SOFLA each winter

Nice story...none of us had money to spare,but we wanted to have lunch at the Chateau Frontenac in the spectacular dining room so we went in, gasped at the prices, and ordered just a salad and a glass of water to drink. The cheque arrived and we divided it between us and barely had enough to cover a tip, and that was WAY back when 10% was the rule, we left the tip and started to leave and the waiter followed us out and tried to return the tip to us. He said he was also a student and knew we didn't have money to spare and that during summer he would make a lot of money and he wanted us to have a nice visit. Well, none of us would take the money back.........

Visit Canada and Quebec
Old 04-26-06, 05:03 PM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
Bump, again! Need ideas for this summer touring, check out Erick's slide show.
Thanks for doing that. This touring thing is looking better all the time.
Old 04-26-06, 06:01 PM

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare; KHS Milano Tandem; Mongoose Crossway; Nashbar Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonderful Trip, Congratulations... Wonderful Pictures !!!
Danitza Suarez
Old 04-26-06, 08:24 PM
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the third time I have returned to check out the photos and pulled out a map this time. I rode across Canada 16 years ago and when I reached Ottawa, I decided to go into the states and see Vermont, New Hampshire and Main. They were great but I am now really kicking myself. Just another destination to add to the list. It looks like a bike tours mecca. Great roads, rolling hills, fantastic scenery.... Thanks again for posting.
Old 04-26-06, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundoz
Just another destination to add to the list. It looks like a bike tours mecca. Great roads, rolling hills, fantastic scenery.... Thanks again for posting.
The thing is that with the development of long distance routes and bike path, bike touring is becoming a mainstream activity in Quebec. Of course, most people go for short tours on well known bike paths like the 'P'tit train du nord' or the 'Petit Thémis' but there are some amazing places for the more adventurous too. Charlevoix and Saguenay is one of these places, you'll find plenty of hills, amazing landscapes (cool glacial features East and North of La Malbaie), tons of cheap B&Bs and a good mix of rural, urban, and natural landscapes. I think Erick really made me wish to try my luck around there... it seems I had been mistaken about some roads there (new repairs?) so it's even more tempting!
Old 04-26-06, 09:15 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Outstanding!
Old 04-26-06, 09:18 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Originally Posted by Erick L
LOL Shifty. You sure like it a lot! Thank you!

I must say I'm proud of that route. Lots of variety... flats, hills, road, bike path, cities, villages, farmland and natural landscape. It was great!
I do like it a lot, and I hope that everyone will see them too. Judging by the other replies today, I'm happy I brought the thread back to the top! I hope you will have another trip for us to enjoy this year, any plans yet Erick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.