Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

The Dahon Mu, HonSolo, Minis

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 09-29-05, 06:32 PM
www.getafolder.com

Bikes: Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Dahon lineup looks good for 2006. One thing I think everyone can appreciate about Dahon is that they do a good job of keeping quality bikes affordable which is consistent with David's Hon orignal mission.

One bike I saw at the show that really looks great for 2006 is the Mu XL (replaces the Helios XL). This Mu has the Nexxus 8 speed hub, front Joule dynamo hub for the front light, rear light, SKS fenders, rack, and cane creek suspension post. Retail will be about $799.

The Hon Solo is another bike to lust for. It has a Suze flip flop rear hub for single/fixed speed, wooden fenders, leather handle bar covers, lace wood chainguard, and a Brooks B17 wooden saddle. Production however will be very limited.

Dahon is also introducing some minibikes that do not fold, but are small wheeled and easy to transport and store. My guess is that will become very popular.

https://www.sfbikes.com or https://www.getafolder.com/
Old 09-29-05, 06:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might be interested in the minis!!!!
Old 09-29-05, 08:00 PM
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Do they have the mini info on their US website yet? I saw it in PDF form elsewhere, but English might be nice.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 09-30-05, 01:15 AM

Bikes: Dahon Espresso; Dahon Helios. Phillips Boardwalk Lite: Trek Navigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2006 Dahon catalogue in English is available from the Swiss distributor in two parts from the following URLs:- https://www.dahon.ch/galery/pdf/2006_dahon_1.pdf
https://www.dahon.ch/galery/pdf/2006_dahon_2.pdf

There is already an extensive discussion of the 2006 Dahon models on the Dahon Folding Bicycle Forum. - https://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php

Gordon Petrie
Old 09-30-05, 02:49 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wpflem
It has a Suze flip flop rear hub for single/fixed speed, wooden fenders, leather handle bar covers, lace wood chainguard, and a Brooks B17 wooden saddle.
A softer version of Sheldon's Real Man granite saddle?

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 09-30-05, 04:10 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have to say that those new 'Hammerhead' models are looking interesting. Sorta like those crazy Kuwahara bikes that were posted a few weeks back crossed with the idea of a moulton. As a fixie they look like the ultimate in manouverable city bikes... In matte black obviously...

LOL at the "HonSolo" name...

I'm liking those Mu frames though. The curves make them look a whole lot more sexy. Esp on that SL with the yellow stripes. And light too...

"Mummy can I have one for christmas?"

Old 09-30-05, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not big fan of mosts Dahons (Alu, suspension Seatposts....! Brrr..) but i gotta give credit where it is due: Dahon has an impressive and innovative range this year. For people who don't mind Alu and prefer not to tinker themselves they have some great value for money bikes. In this respect KHS, Downtube and Swifts are the only ones i their league and price range that i can think of. Anybody know what percentage of the Folder market Dahon services? I am curious.
Old 09-30-05, 07:32 AM

Bikes: Zeus Professional, Juncker Calypso, Lotus Eclair, Dahon Speed, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhhhh!!!!!! SDG saddles and I-Beam go away!!!!

Also, what's the deal with those time-trial bars on the SpeedPro TT and elsewhere--it looks like they just inverted some STI shifters. How can you shift like that?
Old 09-30-05, 08:53 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Speed Pro (I have the '05) appears to be different in the following ways:

- funky TT cowhorns, probably with standard "brifters". I wonder how that works at that angle? (as mentioned above)

- 8-speed cassette

- Fancy front wheel with fewer spokes

All of it looks like upgrades I could get on my ride. (not likely to happen but hey something to lust over, err, think about). But note, SDG IS STILL THERE. I've grown to like mine after some adjustments (moving it way forward and dipping the nose). I'm even thinking of getting one for my road bike (may lightning strike me down?).

Edit: "Hon Solo", cracks me up! Will they make a "SweetP(rincess)" model named after Princess Leia next? Or how about a MTB "Chewupthetrailbacca"? Maybe an electric called "Darth Folder"?

Last edited by oboeguy; 09-30-05 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-30-05, 08:56 AM

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. those guys really listen to their riders. I sometimes check out their forum and recently posted a bunch of info on modding a front rack for use on a Speed. Lots of people said they wanted a front rack and . . . voila! . .. now they have one. the new accessories are awesome! They include a trailer/case ala bike friday and front/rear racks for (perhaps?) serious touring. They are really going after a new market segment.

and some really ingenious items, too; like the seatpost pump (wow!) and a dc charger that runs off the front dynamo hub! That charger is the best thing to happen to touring since - well a long time. keep your laptop, pda cell phone charged while touring so you can keep up your trip log, call home whatever - all while steering clear of civilization if you so desire. awesome.
Old 09-30-05, 09:03 AM
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, that charger sounds handy. Ride up l'Alpe d'Huez, blow your battery on taking a zillion pictures, recharge on the way down.
Old 09-30-05, 10:15 AM

Bikes: Zeus Professional, Juncker Calypso, Lotus Eclair, Dahon Speed, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
Edit: "Hon Solo", cracks me up! Will they make a "SweetP(rincess)" model named after Princess Leia next? Or how about a MTB "Chewupthetrailbacca"? Maybe an electric called "Darth Folder"?
Cracked me up, too. They could be as collectible as the action figures.

Folda Fett? or a SS -- Foldi-One Kenobi....

May the Folds be with you!
Old 09-30-05, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
The catalog Gordon supplied had some really interesting stuff.

The seatpost pump was one I liked. The trailer has possabilities.

There was a section of small wheeled (20") NON-folding bikes. It's like they're trying to
start a 20" trend. I wonder if the 20" roadies are comparable (faster?) than their 26"
brethren.

I kinda liked the Groove

Now....where is the price list?

CE
I like the groove also... It's looking awesome and impressive! Yeah! where's the price lists.

Branman
Old 09-30-05, 08:39 PM
www.getafolder.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
Wow. those guys really listen to their riders. I sometimes check out their forum and recently posted a bunch of info on modding a front rack for use on a Speed. Lots of people said they wanted a front rack and . . . voila! . .. now they have one. the new accessories are awesome! They include a trailer/case ala bike friday and front/rear racks for (perhaps?) serious touring. They are really going after a new market segment.

and some really ingenious items, too; like the seatpost pump (wow!) and a dc charger that runs off the front dynamo hub! That charger is the best thing to happen to touring since - well a long time. keep your laptop, pda cell phone charged while touring so you can keep up your trip log, call home whatever - all while steering clear of civilization if you so desire. awesome.

This forum alone also carries a fair amount of influence at a number of levels.

Old 10-01-05, 07:06 AM

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The catalog Gordon supplied had some really interesting stuff.

The seatpost pump was one I liked. The trailer has possabilities.

There was a section of small wheeled (20") NON-folding bikes. It's like they're trying to
start a 20" trend. I wonder if the 20" roadies are comparable (faster?) than their 26"
brethren.

CE

CE: I read online just yesterday (might have been here!) a 20" wheel is FASTER than a 26/27" up to a certain speed, breaks even at a certain point and is at a slight disadvantage above about 35mph. (I THINK I have that final number correct)

The point made was "who rides at 57km/h regularly?" (sponsored/performance riders usually)

For a race where you've got a lot of cornering, slowing down and speeding up, the 20" wheel might actually be an advantage on account of the lower mass you have to roll-up to speed.

The entire 2006 Dahon line is fantastic - agreed with the comments here. The MuXL & SL are hot! What great lines!

The Ciao! with it's low step-over is a GREAT idea. Competition for Biria and perhaps some of the full-size beach-cruiser type bikes.

Can't wait to hear some road feedback on the Hammerhead. It would make my week/month/year to hear that Criterium riders were using Hammerheads to beat other riders...
Old 10-01-05, 08:29 AM
www.getafolder.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...I wonder if the 20" roadies are comparable (faster?) than their 26"
brethren.

CE
My understanding is YES. Remember a small wheeled Alex Mouton bicycle holds the world speed record for bicycles of conventional riding position at 51mph, fully faired.

For more information go to: https://www.alexmoulton.co.uk/mainindex.html then click on AM Booklet in the right hand column and either download or read online.

In a perfect world--or would that be heaven?--Moultons will be the bikes of choice.

Old 10-01-05, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey AF (and others) about that speed, small wheels versus big wheels thing. I have some info about that one my page, most of it is of the Bike Friday Site. It reads:

In fact tests have shown that up to 16 mp/h, the small wheel is more efficient than a big wheel. Between 16 and 33 mp/h there is little difference. Over 33 mp/h the gyroscopic effect of the big wheel makes it more effective. Most folks do not go over 33 mp/h. Source: 1984 Olympic Men's Road Race Gold Medal winner, Alexi Grewal during a conversation with Jeff Linder. Alexi owns a Pocket Rocket.

Note: 33 mp/h is more than 53 Kilometers per Hour! Even 7 time Tour De France winner Lance Armstrong (arguably the world's fastest and best cyclist) averaged just shy of 42 Kilometers per Hour in his last tour despite large wheels and skinny tires. The world cycling hour record is about 56 Kilometers per Hour and there are probably about a dozen guys in the world that can even get close to this. I for one know that i will never even be anywhere near to going 33 mp/h under my own power (just like 99,9% of humanity).

Small wheels:
-climb better due to a smaller diameter that needs to be rotated.
-accelerate faster for the same reason.
-are more responsive - they turn and steer more easily - the feel is rather like having 'power steering' on your car.
-have a lower surface area, have lower wind resistance in headwinds.

When riding in a group, small wheels enable you to get closer together and draft better.

The design of many folders allows a smaller and and lighter overall package than a regular bike, and smallness and lightness are factors in going fast.

Remember that large wheels originated from a time where there were no such thing as gears - witness the direct drive Penny Farthing bike. Now, the size of the wheel can be optimized - and that optimal size is a lot smaller than 26" or more.
Old 10-01-05, 11:11 AM

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
v1nce: That's where I saw the stats! The BF site!

I've been itching to say something about top speed for a while.
There SEEMS to be a lot of (forgive the term) "dick wagging" about top speed, especially in online forums.

Even in my top shape, if I averaged a shade over 33km/h (21mph) while touring, I figured I was flying.

People start bragging about doing 30MPH and I have to call bull-plop - that's professional level speed and then some for anything other than a sprint or while riding in a pack.

I'm with you on all of that.

From the Moulton website, their tiny-wheeled bikes have been used to win Criteriums where cornering and acceleration are big factors. (I suspected as much)

Dahon: PROMOTE THE HELL OUT OF YOUR HAMMERHEADS!

If I were in the marketing department at Dahon, I'd seed those bikes with pro level and serious club riders all over the USA and Europe to get exposure. (need a Marketing Director Dahon? I'm game!

Last edited by af895; 10-01-05 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-01-05, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon: PROMOTE THE HELL OUT OF YOUR HAMMERHEADS!

[/QUOTE]

They are cool--and they fit the HonSolo theme (sorry but I am a little slow on the uptake):

On the topic of small vs. big wheels--I've been alternating commuting with my 20" Dahon and a 700c, and ihave noticed about a 2mph difference in speed along stretches. I just usually put this down to wind resistance or fatigue, but the things you have all been mentioning seem to make a whole lotta sense.
Old 10-01-05, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pharnabazos: LOL at the doll!

Did you mean the 20" wheeled bike was 2mph faster or slower?
Old 10-01-05, 12:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by af895

Faster. It was in flat stretches where I could average 22-23 on the Dahon and I was having trouble with 19-20 on my other bike.

PS I wonder if Dahon USA actually obtained permission to use these Star Wars references.
Old 10-01-05, 12:23 PM
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by af895

We had that action figure when we were kids. Wo0t!
Old 10-01-05, 02:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
We had that action figure when we were kids. Wo0t!
I'm waiting until Dahon comes out with a 'Greedo'

Okay..okay..okay...only one more bad pun....

'Hon-do Calrissian'
Old 10-03-05, 08:06 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Milleni-hon Falc-hon.
/coat...