Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Boardwalk S1 and ???

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 08-15-05, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The S1 is available at amazon for below $200. What I like about the S1 are its size (low standover), weight (a little over 25lb now but I'm going to take out the mud guard etc.), coaster brake (laugh not), single speed (simple), and price.

My questions are:

1.Any other folders comparable to the S1 (price, features) from a reputable make?
2. Are the crankset, seat tube, fork, handlepost on S1 upgradable to lighter components?

Actually doesn't matter if it folds or not, as long as it's light. I'll mainly use it for casual riding.

Suggestions/comments/advice are appreciated.
Old 08-16-05, 09:13 PM
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will you never ride in the rain? I would say leave the fenders on ,unless you live in So Cal it doesn't rain there it pours.
Old 08-17-05, 12:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skyfish
The S1 is available at amazon for below $200. What I like about the S1 are its size (low standover), weight (a little over 25lb now but I'm going to take out the mud guard etc.), coaster brake (laugh not), single speed (simple), and price.

My questions are:

1.Any other folders comparable to the S1 (price, features) from a reputable make?
2. Are the crankset, seat tube, fork, handlepost on S1 upgradable to lighter components?

Actually doesn't matter if it folds or not, as long as it's light. I'll mainly use it for casual riding.

Suggestions/comments/advice are appreciated.
This folder was the one I selected to be my first folder instead of locating, purchasing and cleaning up a Raliegh Twenty. As to answer your questions:

1. I never located another reputalbe bike maker that had bikes similar in features and price to the S1. Most were way over what I could afford at the time.
2. I don't know about it's ability to be upgradable to lighter components you listed, but I did upgrade the drivetrain to a Sturmey-Archer AW 3 speed hub and added a Teckro side-pull brake to the rear and removed the coaster brake arm.

After that, I left the fenders/mudguards on, the rear rack intact, and any other stock part on to be replaced as the individual component wears out or I find the need to upgrade to a better one. I use my bike for all the types of riding that I do-long distance (more than 10 miles), emergency transport, casual neighborhood riding, "credit card" touring (light daypack only) and other numerous usages. The point is when you purchase even the most basic folder, you will find that having one opens up a whole new workd of cycling possibilites that go beyond the most elaborate non-collapsing bike: the ability to "shrink" into a more compact package and become a more personal mode a transport not offered by any other means except for feet!

Please let this forum know if you decide to join us.
Old 08-17-05, 05:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I probably won't be riding it in the rain. I need it just for casual riding around the neighborhood, park, etc.

Worst case senario, I'll be doing some laundry.
Old 08-17-05, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, folder fanatic. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. Any other comments? I'll wait for about 2 hours...
Old 08-17-05, 06:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to my tracking number I should be getting my S1 tomorrow. If you'd like I'll give you my initial impressions of it. My intent is to either lace up a 3 speed hub that I've got at home or turn it into a fixed gear.
Old 08-17-05, 08:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AverageCommuter
According to my tracking number I should be getting my S1 tomorrow. If you'd like I'll give you my initial impressions of it. My intent is to either lace up a 3 speed hub that I've got at home or turn it into a fixed gear.
It turned out I wasn't that patient - I placed the order already . I still like to read your initial impression though. Now the wait started...
Old 08-17-05, 08:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean. These past two weeks have been hellish.
Old 08-18-05, 01:13 PM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am glad you selected the S1, Skyfish. It will prove to be a excellent introduction into the world of folders. I am sure it will be the first of many when and if you decide to spring into the more elaborate upscale folding bicycles on the market. The handling characteristics of my folder to me feels like a combination of all my favorite bikes both past and present. You will have to see and feel it yourself to really appreciate it.
Old 08-18-05, 06:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has arrived! So far I am very pleased. My only disappointment is that it doesn't come with the magnetix system to keep it together when folded. It's a tiny bit more upright than my Fuji MTB but it's not an uncomfortable ride. the right front brake pad was rubbing so I had to adjust that. Rode around the neighborhood and have now ridden to work as well. Thought at first that the gearing might not be tall enough for the flatlands here but having ridden it a little farther I've changed my mind. I'd say the gearing is just about right.

Going to ride it around a bit before I decide whether to go 3 speed, fixed or maybe even SS without the coaster brake. I've got several upgrades in mind but not to fix any perceived faults, just to make it a better fit for my purposes.
Old 08-20-05, 01:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AverageCommuter
My only disappointment is that it doesn't come with the magnetix system to keep it together when folded.
AverageCommuter, according to this page https://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...ardwalkS1BLACK S1 has the Magnetix.

# FRAME CATCH: Patented Magnetix™
Or is it just misprint?
Old 08-20-05, 06:44 PM

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh. I don't have fenders on my folder either. Rain shmain. Yer either gonna get wet or you aren't. Maybe if I were going through mud or something. (my rear rack does a reasonable job as a fender anyway)

Good on ya' for making the order. I'm a big fan of CrMo over Aluminum and you're getting an awesome frame you can do what you want with, if you even WANT to upgrade it. (you might find it does the trick right out of the box)

For free upgrades: drive around the evening before garbage day. I found a Shimano S3 internal hub this week and a funky chrome chain/spoke disc.

You might be able to get the "Magnetix" widgets direct from Dahon. Don't they just screw into the eyelets near the rear axle?
Old 08-21-05, 08:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AverageCommuter, according to this page https://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...ardwalkS1BLACK S1 has the Magnetix.
Or is it just misprint?
I never could find a spec. sheet for the S1 on the Dahon website so I can't say for sure what it is supposed to have from the factory. I just know mine didn't have them. Did a quick comparison between the one they have there at bikepartsusa.com and the ones for the D6 and the D7. That sheet looks more like the specs for an '04.

Originally Posted by af895
Yer either gonna get wet or you aren't.
Not true. Skyfish may not need them, that'd be his call. I'll be commuting on mine, and I dress for work. I can't show up with a dirty water stripe down my back. Somehow I always seem to leave for work right AFTER it has finished raining. I found out that those ABS clip on half fenders that they have for MTB's aren't worth a crap. I snagged a set of full steel fenders from an old girls huffy that had been set out in somone's trash and they work like a charm. So I know what you mean about finding useful stuff sitting at the curb. That same bike also had a perfectly good shimano three speed hub on it.

You might be able to get the "Magnetix" widgets direct from Dahon. Don't they just screw into the eyelets near the rear axle?
I think you may be right. I'll see if I can get a set the next time I'm making an order at the bike store. Of course I just ordered my hub generator and lights yesterday. Wish I'd thought of that while I was there.
Old 08-25-05, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the bike today. Mixed feeling. Will do a review over the weekend.

29lb as pictured.

Last edited by skyfish; 08-25-05 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 10:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike was shipped directly from Dahon California. It came with fender, rack, stand, and reflectors. After all those being trimmed off, the bike now weighs 25lb (see picture below).

Now look at the details:

1. Single speed 44T crankset to 14T freewheel. 175 mm cranks. Rasin chain guard (bolted on the chainring).
2. Tiny front hub.
3. Front V brake looks flimsy. Plastic lever.
4. Comfy saddle.
5. Nice paint job on the frame.
6. Not so nice welding job. Not as neat as can be found on good quality bikes, even worse than a 24" Rhino mountain bike I bought from Toys R Us.
7. Handlebar width: 20"
8. Effective top tube: 24-25"
9. Standover: 20"
10. Seat tube: 10"
11. Heavy steel seat post: ~550 mm
12. Folding/unfolding under 15 seconds is achievable.
13. Handlepost and seat tube QR collars are welded on the tubes. (why?)
14. Both pedals are foldable.
15. Schraeder valve tubes.
16. Alu rims seem alright.

Overall impression: the bike does not exceed my expectations. Some are disappointing (No. 13 above and some cosmetic defect on the handlepost), some are replaceable (No.2 and No. 11), some will be left as-is for a while then I'll decide to keep or not. The short distance riding I had today was fun. For under $200, I guess the bike is alright.

Modifications to be done:

1. Alu seatpost (more rigid but lighter).
2. Quality front V-brake.
3. Quality crankset/BB
4. LED rear light
5. Lighter pedals (non-foldable OK)
6. Handlebar, stem - feasible? May involve changing the fork as well. Or completely remove the foldable handlepost.
Old 08-27-05, 05:31 AM

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a great breakdown skyfish - thanks for sharing.

If you decide to swap out components, I'm looking for a set of folding pedals - maybe I can help you recover the cost of upgrades.

See this link for pics of the ones on the KHS: https://www.halffg.pwp.blueyonder.co....oc/canada.html

BTW: 25lbs considering it has a steel seatpost isn't bad at all for a steel frame! It's a sharp looking bike and you know steel is going to last 50 years.

Cheers!
Chris

Last edited by af895; 08-27-05 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-27-05, 08:18 AM
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check gaerlan Custom bicycles for parts,Be sure whether the headset is 1" inch or 1 1/8" before you order.They have many Dahon parts available .You may be able to get reflectors which attach to your spokes with velcro through Rivendell they do not affect spoke tension and are light.Gaerlan carries aluminium seatposts for dahon and two different types of suspension seatposts. If you change out the handlepost and use a longer bar you might want to wrap it with bar tape so that you can rest your hands in different places. A flip flop hub( fixed on one side freewheel on the other) and front and rear brakes are another possibility as long as you plan on changing brakes anyway .Try better brake pads on the front first though they should make a great deal of difference. You also could make it a coaster brake 3 speed rather easily .Bike nashbar was selling a 3 speed shimano hub with coaster brake for sixty nine dollars?Of course neither a flip flop hub or a 3 speed conversion will be dirt cheap.

Last edited by James H Haury; 08-28-05 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-27-05, 10:16 AM
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
... some are replaceable (No.2 ...
What do you mean by "replaceable"? Isn't the front hub a non-standard size like Brompton's?
Old 08-27-05, 09:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a great breakdown skyfish - thanks for sharing.

If you decide to swap out components, I'm looking for a set of folding pedals - maybe I can help you recover the cost of upgrades.

See this link for pics of the ones on the KHS: https://www.halffg.pwp.blueyonder.co....oc/canada.html

BTW: 25lbs considering it has a steel seatpost isn't bad at all for a steel frame! It's a sharp looking bike and you know steel is going to last 50 years.

Cheers!
Chris
That's a sharp bike. I like the color (red/black). As for the pedals, I'll wait till I find a pair of good light ones. WIll keep you in mind, though.
Old 08-27-05, 09:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by James H Haury
Check gaerlan Custom bicycles for parts,Be sure whether the headset is 1" inch or 1 1/8" before you order.They have many Dahon parts available .You may be able to get reflectors which attach to your spokes with velcro through Rivendell they do not affect spoke tension and are light.Gaerlan carries aluminium seatposts for dahon and two different types of suspension seatposts. If you change out the handlepost and use a longer bar you might want to wrap it with bar tape so that you can rest your hands in different places. A flip flop hub( fixed on one side freewheel on the other) and front and rear brakes are another possibility as long as you plan on changing brakes anyway .Try better brake pads on the front first though they should make a great deal of difference. You also could make it a coaster brake 3 speed rather easily .Bike nashbar was selling a 3 speed shimano hub with coaster brake for sixty nine dollars?Of corse niether a flip flop hub or a 3 speed conversion will be dirt cheap.
Thanks for the info. That's a lot for me to digest. I need to research a bit.
Old 08-27-05, 09:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spambait11
What do you mean by "replaceable"? Isn't the front hub a non-standard size like Brompton's?
Yes, you are right. I thought I could replace it easily but most likely not. I might end up leaving it alone.

I have more S1 photos here at https://sfbike.blogspot.com/ if anyone interested.

Last edited by skyfish; 08-28-05 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 04:02 PM
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

My first Dahon, and I'm impressed! Nice solid ride and great price to boot. I'll keep most of it stock. The only upgrades planned are the cranks and chainring when the stock ones wear out; I'll probably put clipless pedals on soon. And before Schwalbe Big Apples, there were Maxxis Hookworms.

The biggest con: there's nothing to hold the bike together when folded.
The pros: auto-click frame lock (what a cool feature) and robust stem; single-speed; coaster brake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
db2.jpg (77.9 KB, 307 views)
db3-3.jpg (83.3 KB, 269 views)
s1_rev1.jpg (77.0 KB, 247 views)
s1_rev22.jpg (48.3 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by spambait11; 12-07-06 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-06-06, 07:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was wondering why I always had trouble toting the S1 around folded. All those fenders/mudguards, rear rack, S-A AW three speed hub, etc. adds up an additional 4-maybe even more- pounds. It may seem like not much-but if you are female, and not blessed with alot of upper arm strength, well I am sure you all are getting the point. I am now thinking about putting the bike on a diet (stripping off the fenders and rack-don't really use them) and swap the Kenda tires for those Big Apple tires in the near future. I could deal with the weight if the said component/accessory adds greatly to the bike's perfomance.
Old 02-06-06, 08:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
skyfish... given the spec, its steel and 25lbs... $200 is a steal.
Old 02-06-06, 08:52 PM
Señor Mambo

You're right: fenders, rear rack, brake lever and cable were all about 3-4lbs. If I were looking to get this thing lighter, the cheapest immediate solution for me would be to get a lighter seatpost and handlebar. If I really wanted to get spendy, I'd change the wheelset as well. But I already have a 20lb Bike Friday.

After these last few years commuting, I've now just begun to narrow down my likes and dislikes. I've gone from mtb to folding to recumbent to 700c and back to folding. By far, my fastest commutes were with a fixed 700c, and my most comfortable on a recumbent. Yet I'm still drawn to mountain biking and was looking for a solid machine which could fold – a BF Llama is way out of my budget at this time. But I've always been intrigued by the S1 because so many of its parts are steel and it is affordable. I don't like the custom-sized front hub, but after taking a good look at it this past Sunday (we all knew Pittsburg was going to win anyway), it's not as bad as I thought, though it is very "tiny" as skyfish noted above. After some commute time this week, I'll take it on some trails over the weekend and see how it does.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.