Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Subaru Urban Assault Race Report with pics and a.... win?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 02:44 PM
wussy

Bikes: Scott CR1, Trek 2200, Gary Fisher Tassajara, PedalForce ZX3 (coming)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So with less than 2 hours of sleep and a downpour of rain, I won my first bike race with my partner MMACH 5 this past Sunday.

One of the best parts, my new bike AND car are going on the urban assault website. I talked to a subaru rep from corporate for 20 minutes and he wants me to send him some photos with both to spread around. (Only fitting that a Subaru owner when a Subaru Race right? : ) )

None of this would of at all been possible without my great partner Michael (MMACH 5), who planned out the route and practiced it several times before we had the race day route, OR without our great sponsor BookingWiz.com!

I couldn't be happier.

All the pics can be found here https://zballantine.smugmug.com/gallery/3037484

My writeup is a long read so if you want a shorter one, skip down to my partners

What a ride!

Night before I go for a 2 mile run, get some work in, carb load on pasta, and start working on the jerseys for our team. Artwork didn't come across right the first time. After a call to MMACH5 (Michael), our logo designer, I get a good batch of files. Fire up the plotter and use up all of my hotmark vinyl except for 8 or so inches. LUCKY

This is where I run into problems. Need to wash the jersey before I heat press them. 35 minutes go by. Get them out and spend 30 minutes weeding the graphics and prepping. Figure out what order to lay them and another 40 minutes later, finish up. Awesome, all done! But... A HUGE BUT, they don't zip down! Something must of melted under the press! Drat! After some tough pulling and a some pliers, I get Michael's sleeved jersey zipper to work. Still tough but it works. Mine on the other hand, won't budge but a quarter of an inch. Not wanting to look like a total nerd and be extremely hot, I finally out of frustration rip off the zipper. A little concerned tho since I'm not a big enough stud to pull off the fully unzipped chest look. Oh well.

After getting all of that taken care of, I start putting everything in the car and look over the bike for the last time. Hop in the shower and by the time I hit the bed, it's 4:20AM! This exact same thing happened to me on the first day of the MS150 and I felt like crap the first 78 miles. Hoping not for a repeat.

Wake up call comes from Michael at 6. Miss the first one but hopped out of the bed in a panic on the 2nd.

"You up?"
"Of course"
"Good, see ya there"

I had to give him, and myself, reassurance since I'm late to almost everything. Load up the bike and get flying down the freeway around 80-90 the whole way and feeling pretty good. Park in a lot down the street a get everything out and roll down to him and his family. We store our bikes at the starting parking lot where we have to run to and hop on our bike. Nice that he has a kickstand on his bike, which is older than me btw, and we're positioned right at the front.

Being told the start is 40 feet behind where everyone else is and waiting, we're off! The first 55 teams that scored the highest on a quiz got to start the earliest. The best score only missed 8 questions, we missed 9.

A 180 from the parking lot and we're on course for the first of three landmarks. After a couple stoplights and some hammering, we've separated from the main pack. Pop through a couple parking lots and hop off the bike to jump some sections between parking lots. We arrive at Dick's Last Resort and head off to our second landmark. (All of the landmarks were clues, one being released 5 days before, another a couple hours before, and the other at the 2nd landmark)

Start heading off for a big parking lot with a mural on a parking garage. Slide in and grab our bead and get our clue to the other landmark. Call his wife, who is following us by car to the checkpoints in case we need a new tire or something happens, and give her the clue to call her sister and find the other landmark.

Head out again for the first checkpoint: Chipotle. We were riding with another group most of the way there and through the alleys when one of them makes a wrong turn and we're on our own. Pull into chipotle and park the bikes. Run up, read the poster of what we're suppose to do for our bead, and grab our stilts. One person has to walk on them to the other team mate switch off stilts, and walk back. I had enough time to get my road shoes off before he got to me, took some big steps to the other side, got our bead, and we're off to Subaru of Dallas.

After a church parking lot, a hop over a road block, we get to Subaru of Dallas. Event here: Big wheel around the parking lot. Being 6'2.5" I barely fit into this darn thing. Wheelin and wheelin and push up the last hill, grab our bead, and off.

There's a steady sprinkle coming down but not bad at all. We start heading towards Premier Athletic Club which is about 4-5 miles away. It's almost a straight shot there so we start hammering and pass prolly 12 or so groups. Pull into the parking garage, park the bikes, and they tell us to take the stairs up. Nice of them to not throw in that it's 6 stories up. Michael darts up them in his mountain shoes with recessed cleats but I'm slow making sure I don't snap of my cleats on my sidis. Take them off about 2 flights up, and get going. When I get to the top, Michaels taking off his shoes because we have to run through an on foot obstacle course. Weave through some cones, climb through a tunnel, hop some obstacles, and then we repeat again. On the 2nd tunnel I kind of leaped and got stuck. I was dying laughing and so was everyone else. Get out, hop down all the stairs and head back to our bikes.

Next check point only 2 miles away but the rain start POURING. Eh, I yell out "not so bad, atleast there's no wind". About 2 minutes later it starts pelting us. Arrive at Wheels in Motion where we see some cones and wheel barrel. He ask me if I want to push or be pushed. It's an obvious answer when I'm 21 years younger and 50-60 pounds heavier. Weave through the cones in the mud and with a snack, hop back on the bike.

It's not letting up at all as we're heading down a busy road. Make a right onto Abrams and the water is pooled up halfway onto my calf in some parts. A passing car sprays a WAVE over the top of my head, I manage to keep it upright but my contact is floating in my eye and I feel like I nearly drowned. lol Get to the Whiterock Lake boat house and find out they're not doing the rafting event because of lightning. Grab our bead and head down the trail.

Riding next to each other talking about how we're doing, I ask him if he's ready and to tuck in behind me and lets go. Get on a nice straight and we're making time going around 25 mph. Couple corners, hop onto the road, and we're at Richardson BikeMart.

They tell us that the race is called off and to head back. We are persistent about getting the bead and she points us to where the bag is to grab our own. With his wife right next to us and debating whether or not to continue or to just load up the bikes and go home, we set back out determined to finish what we started.

We head to the last landmark, our 9th bead, and take it at a more relaxed pace and just talk. Get to the trolley station and grab our last bead. Catch is, there's another group grabbing a bead. We think we have some competition so we're determined to finish the last 3 miles and beat them. Michael hits a slick trolley rail and goes down in front of me. I'm freaked out and ask if he's alright and he says he just got the wind knocked out of him. We walk the bikes another 25 feet to the road and get started. Dropping the hammer down we cruise through the next 2 miles at a good clip. I look to the left and one street over I see the guys from the last landmark. Almost like a movie at every intersection the camera shoes us going through and our opponent in the background.

We push for the last bit, turn into the parking lot, and beat them by about 15 seconds. We have to take our shoes off, run up the huge inflated slide, slide down, and go to the check in table.

The woman asked at the check-in table, "How many beads did you get?"
I said "All of them." Her eyes got really big, her mouth fell open and she took the beads to count them.
"How did you get ALL of them?"
Zack and I replied almost in unison, "We rode real fast!"

After standing around and enjoying the sponsors goodies, we get an announcement that there will be a raffle for the 2nd and 3rd place prizes but the bikes will be given out. I give my dad a call to come down and he shows up 10 minutes before the raffle. After not hitting one number on my two raffle tickets out of 50 or so called out, he gets ready for the bikes. (Michael hit the raffle and won a nice bag and some schwag)

Finally, they announced that the two rookies of team "On Your Left" was the first of only three teams to come in with a full set of beads. (Later stated we were the only team to get all 9)

Hop on the bikes, take some pics, and we're cruising off on our new limited edition cruisers! Totally shocked! Can't believe we beat out 175 other teams. Good thing my dad came because I wouldn't of been able to put it in my subaru.

Bike weighs 48lbs compared to my road bike which is in the 17s. Funny thing is, I still feel more comfortable with my body hunched in the drops and on a 155 gram seat.

Here's a ride report my partner wrote up.
****RACE REPORT****
What a morning! After giving Zack (Stray Cat) a wake up call, my family and I hopped into the van under overcast skies. Temps were good and not a drop of rain. By the time we got to Uptown Cycles, their was a steady drizzle. We found Zack, got into our new jerseys and wandered around a bit waiting for everything to get rolling.

There was some confusion about the starting line. We were told to stand in one spot so we did, but we couldn't figure out why the rest of the starting group was about 25 feet closer to the bikes. Out of nowhere the horn sounded and we were off. We got onto the road about a block and a half behind the leaders. Everyone stopped at the first two red lights, but after that it was elbows and a$$holes all the way.

Between the first and fifth checkpoints, the drizzle continued, (I love riding in the rain so I was really enjoying this). There were a couple of times I thought about shifting into an easier gear, but Zack was still hammering pretty hard so we pressed on. When we left the Premier Health Club, the skies had darkened considerably and the wind started to pick up. That's when the bottom dropped out. We did the obstacle at the sixth checkpoint in pouring rain.

We were churning through 4-6 inch water in the right lane (over the curb, in some spots). The rain was coming in pretty hard. I was really glad I had decided to leave the visor on my helmet, since it was too rainy for glasses. Due to lightning, they canceled the paddling obstacle at the White Rock Boat House. They told us to grab a bead, (proof of getting to each checkpoint), and continue the race.

At our last published checkpoint, we were told the race was being canceled due to the weather.
My wife pulled into the parking lot and I gave her the disappointing news. Zack and I talked about throwing the bikes onto the back of the van and driving back to Uptown. I had even started to put my bike up on the rack when the beads "called" to me. I said, "Hey, let's just finish this thing." Zack's response was a more enthusiastic than I expected, so we saddled back up and took off.

During this last leg, we kept hammering. We were told by numerous other teams, "Didn't you hear that they canceled the race?" We thanked them and kept going.

Just before we headed up McKinney Ave, we heard another team say they had all of the required beads. Zack pulled up along beside me and whispered, "We need to beat these guys." We stood on the pedals and took off. That's when my front tire hung up on the trolley tracks. I didn't have time to even let go of the handlebars before hitting the pavement. My hip, shoulder and helmet took the impact.

I jumped up and said, "Where are the beads?" I still had them so I started to get back on my bike.
Zack said, "Easy. Are you sure you're okay? Just take a minute."
"Got the wind knocked out of me, but I'm good." I walked my bike about 25 feet before mounting up again.

We knew we had to make up some time, so we laid into it. Luckily, we made all the lights and pulled in just ahead of the other team.

The woman asked at the check-in table, "How many beads did you get?"
I said "All of them." Her eyes got really big, her mouth fell open and she took the beads to count them.
"How did you get ALL of them?"
Zack and I replied almost in unison, "We rode real fast!"

We indulged in some post-ride Chipotle burritos and re-lived some of the more precarious parts of the race.

More than two hours after we got off our bikes, they finally announced that the two rookies of team "On Your Left" was the first of only three teams to come in with a full set of beads.

To quote Zack's father, "This was the best Father's Day EVER!"
A couple pics of the bike

The bike that helped me win.

All the pics can be found here https://zballantine.smugmug.com/gallery/3037484

Just thought I'd share. : D

Zack

Last edited by Stray Cat; 06-21-07 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-21-07, 02:46 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Very nice, congratulations!
Old 06-21-07, 02:55 PM
Just Do It !

Bikes: Litespeed Ti, Trek Carbon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I enjoyed it. You guys are cool; a breath of fresh air around here.. Congrats!
Old 06-21-07, 02:58 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Congrats Zack and MMach5!!!!
Old 06-21-07, 03:07 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
No time to read that much, but I'm curious; in a few sentences can you describe how the race works? How do you collect the beads? I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with how women collect beads at Mardis Gras.

Great job on your win! Cool prize too.
Old 06-21-07, 03:18 PM
wussy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
No time to read that much, but I'm curious; in a few sentences can you describe how the race works? How do you collect the beads? I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with how women collect beads at Mardis Gras.

Great job on your win! Cool prize too.

Here ya go

What is it?

The Urban Assault Race™ is a combination of an Adventure Race, Scavenger Hunt and Bike Race. Mental muscle is just as important as ripped quads - teams of 2 choose their own course to checkpoints around the city. The race is well-known for its checkpoints where fun physical and mental challenges must be completed before moving on. Some checkpoints are listed prior to the race, others must be found during the race.

Racers can be ages 7 – 100…anybody can do it! Male, Female, and Co-ed Teams will ride a total distance of 25-35 miles. Family Teams (requiring one racer to be 7-12 years old) will ride around 15-20 miles.

The first team to complete all the checkpoint and return to Start/Finish wins the race! Then the party begins!

It is “The most fun you will ever have on a bike”!
Old 06-21-07, 03:21 PM

Bikes: (2) 2004 Trek 1500, Team Colors:2004 Cannondale Ironman w/ Renn and Zipp: 2005 Kestrel Talon SL: 2001 GT Agressor: 2001 Schwinn Moab: 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 Festina Team Bike: 2002 Pinarello Prince: 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, that's actually a pretty cool looking bike, thought I'd never say that about a cruiser...but.
I especially like the tires.
Old 06-21-07, 03:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stray Cat
The bike that helped me win.

Nice bike, I read the thread about where and how you got it. I'm bummed I didn't see it there first!

Where is this picture taken?
Old 06-21-07, 03:57 PM
wussy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Talewinds
Dude, that's actually a pretty cool looking bike, thought I'd never say that about a cruiser...but.
I especially like the tires.
My instant thoughts were to sell it and get some campy for the roadie. But after riding it around 20 miles, I really like it and it's more of "meaning" bike than value now.

Originally Posted by tfro
Nice bike, I read the thread about where and how you got it. I'm bummed I didn't see it there first!

Where is this picture taken?
You're local I'm assuming? They still have some 06s. Ask for Daniel if you ever go in and tell him Zack sent ya. (Heck, I'd meet ya down there to look at em again. )

Picture was taken at a park 100 feet away from my house in Richardson. (Richland Park)
Old 06-21-07, 04:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 05 pricing you paid.

I thought you might live down here near Bicycles Plus, the park looks like it could be Glencoe Park. But I guess a lot of parks have grass and trees
Old 06-22-07, 10:58 AM
wussy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tfro
I'm a big fan of the 05 pricing you paid.

I thought you might live down here near Bicycles Plus, the park looks like it could be Glencoe Park. But I guess a lot of parks have grass and trees
haha. I was too. You can still get a 06 for $200 more and have a choice of a triple or a double. I HAD to take the triple on it even though they swap what you want on 06s.