Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Light / Strong wheelset?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Light / Strong wheelset?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Light / Strong wheelset?

I'm doing some ebay-action right now and if all goes well, I'll have some $$$ to play with. I want to save some weight in my wheelset w/o costing myself too much durability. Right now I'm running the old "XT Rhyno Lite's" and they weigh around 2470g.

I'm considering:

1. Hope Pro II hubs with DT EX5.1d rims and DT Super Comp Spokes (1810 w/o skewers) $520-$620

2. Easton AM Havoc (1875g) $450

3. Mavic Crosstrail (1810g) $475

My fear with the Easton's and Mavic's is that they only have 24 spokes and I do some fairly agressive riding. I don't wanna be truing them up every other day. The Hope / EX5.1d's will be 32 spokes and hand built by a local dude that built my XT Rhyno Lite's. I trust his build...I know they're tough.

One thing I like about the Hope's and Easton's is the convertable QR to 20mm front in case I decide to go with a through-axle later on.

What are your opinions?

Last edited by ed; 02-08-07 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 04:25 PM

Bikes: build my own

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the outlaws on both trailbike and my downhill sled , I do drops on both bikes they are still true after a full season. the front hub is also convertable
Old 02-08-07, 07:20 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked into the Cane Creek Duros? Girlscout really likes his so far.
https://canecreek.com/duros.html
Old 02-08-07, 08:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ogdmfg
I have the outlaws on both trailbike and my downhill sled , I do drops on both bikes they are still true after a full season. the front hub is also convertable
Why did you reply with this?

Did you miss the part where I said I want to save some weight?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Canecreek Duros, eh? I'll check 'em out.
Old 02-08-07, 08:26 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, I checked out the CaneCreek Duros.

I may as well keep the XT Rhyno Lites if I were gonna get those...2273g isn't really saving any significant weight.

I know I'm being a bit of a weeny, but if I can get a wheelset that is as durable as the one I already have and save a pound or so...I'll be interested. I'm not going to spend $500 on a set of wheels that will save me 200g. If I'm going to spend upwards of $600...they had better save me a pound or more.

This is why I suggested the Hope Pro II / DT EX 5.1d...seems nobody has an opinion on those.

Thanks though.
Old 02-08-07, 08:39 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/17/cat17.htm?48

Odds and Endos - light, strong and not a bad price. The Laserdisc hubs aren't great if you ride in slop, but for the conditions around here [Rocky Mountains front range] they've been excellent. 1610g and $350 shipped.
Old 02-08-07, 09:07 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't see any wheels on that site that were very tough.

They all looked like XC wheels.
Old 02-09-07, 05:43 AM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
Okay, I checked out the CaneCreek Duros.

I may as well keep the XT Rhyno Lites if I were gonna get those...2273g isn't really saving any significant weight.

I know I'm being a bit of a weeny, but if I can get a wheelset that is as durable as the one I already have and save a pound or so...I'll be interested. I'm not going to spend $500 on a set of wheels that will save me 200g. If I'm going to spend upwards of $600...they had better save me a pound or more.

This is why I suggested the Hope Pro II / DT EX 5.1d...seems nobody has an opinion on those.

Thanks though.
I thought tough was the first order of busness. You really need the toughest most advanced wheelset you can get. Look at the Mavic DeeMax
Old 02-09-07, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Cane Creek wheels. I bought the Zonos disc after I backed over my old front wheel with my truck. It was a very fortunate event as the Zonos were a major improvement in both acceleration and handling due to the very high stiffness. They were only about 5 or 6 ounces lighter than my old wheel set, but the weight reduction is at the rim more than the others. My lap times on my 18 mile local trail went down from day one with the wheels.

The spoke nuts/nipples are at the hub and the spokes are straight with no 'hook" at the end. That makes the wheel ultra stiff. I used to break spokes in my old rear wheel until I upped the gauge to 14. These new ones have taken a pounding for over a year and they are as tight as brand new. I don't do jumps, just XC.

The rims are Bontrager tubeless, but I run Stan's NoTubes with tube-type tires. The rims were poorly finished when I got them. I called Doug at Cane Creek and had a new flawless set in 6 days and they paid shipping both ways.

I was skeptical that a $600.00 list wheel set would be worth it. It was the best upgrade I've ever made to a bike. The improved cornering was a big surprise. Their hubs are a little heavy, but they use big sealed bearings which have a preload adjustment that is used on the bike with the skewer force applied. The bearing/seal friction is far less than my XT hubs and is effectively zero. Weight at the center of the wheel has little impact on acceleration.

Al
Old 02-09-07, 09:07 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how bout FSA Wheels? the 300 wheelset maybe? I read over MTBR and it seems everyone is praising on its strength
Old 02-09-07, 09:16 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Zonos seem a little too XC for me. I'd probably tear them up.
Old 02-09-07, 09:20 AM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Of the selections provided, I would go with the Hope/DT combo - I think the Hope rear hub has a higher engagement point count than the others, and I really hate driveline lash in techy situations. The convertibile option and the local build would also be big pluses IMO.
Old 02-09-07, 09:23 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wheelhot
how bout FSA Wheels? the 300 wheelset maybe? I read over MTBR and it seems everyone is praising on its strength
I should close this thread, hehe.

Every time I ask about a specific product, I get a million suggestions about any product besides the ones I asked about.

Don't get me wrong, but why would I be interested in the XC 300 wheelset? It's for XC.

The 3 wheelsets I listed are not XC wheelsets. They're more heavy-duty than that.

If you make a suggestion...make a suggestion like mtnbiker66 did with a wheelset that resembles what I'm suggesting.

Thanks
Old 02-09-07, 09:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gastro
Of the selections provided, I would go with the Hope/DT combo - I think the Hope rear hub has a higher engagement point count than the others, and I really hate driveline lash in techy situations. The convertibile option and the local build would also be big pluses IMO.
Thanks, I think I'm leaning that direction.
Old 02-09-07, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should close this thread, hehe.

Every time I ask about a specific product, I get a million suggestions about any product besides the ones I asked about.

Don't get me wrong, but why would I be interested in the XC 300 wheelset? It's for XC.

The 3 wheelsets I listed are not XC wheelsets. They're more heavy-duty than that.

If you make a suggestion...make a suggestion like mtnbiker66 did with a wheelset that resembles what I'm suggesting.

Thanks

A valid criticism and a problem with forums. However, most don't want to bother looking them up to see what kind the posted wheels were. Since weight was mentioned, I assumed they were mostly for XC. Possibly if we all defined our intended use when we posted that would eliminate the chaff and improve the recommendations.

Terms like "aggressive riding" are too subjective.

Al
Old 02-09-07, 11:26 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Al.canoe
A valid criticism and a problem with forums. However, most don't want to bother looking them up to see what kind the posted wheels were. Since weight was mentioned, I assumed they were mostly for XC. Possibly if we all defined our intended use when we posted that would eliminate the chaff and improve the recommendations.

Terms like "aggressive riding" are too subjective.

Al
Good point.

Aggressive riding: rock gardens, 3' to flat, 5' to tranny, small doubles
Old 02-09-07, 11:31 AM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't see any wheels on that site that were very tough.

They all looked like XC wheels.
Well, yeah. Based on what you've got posted for choices, the basic wheelset they offer would probably be fine compared to the Mavic and DT, and for cheaper, especially in 36H. You could just as easily go with a Rhyno Lite and keep the weight at 1800-ish for the set but for way cheaper. Now, if you're consistently hitting drops with rough landings, then go for something heavier. What's your riding style like? Do you really need the toughest most advanced wheelset you can get?

edit: Ah, based on your riding style [as in the above post], Hope/Rhyno Lite would work great. If you're worried about stiffness, go 36H without much of a weight penalty.
Old 02-09-07, 12:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The DT ex5.1d looks to be tougher than the Rhyno Lite. Don't you think?

I think Hope with DT would be a better wheel than Hope/Rhyno Lite.

I could be wrong. If I were going to use Sun rims, I'd go Hope / Single Track.
Old 02-09-07, 01:08 PM
DNPAIMFB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main difference between the Rhyno and Singletrack is that the Rhyno has a brake track. It's a good box-section rim that is cheap because it's an older model. DT makes a nice rim, and the 5.1 is a bit beefier than the 4.1 but not a full-on FR rim, and 40-50g lighter than the Rhyno. Mavic EN 321[?] would work too. To be honest, once you get a decent hub, it becomes 6-of-one-half-dozen-of-the-other with regard to the rim. Going to 36H and using a good builder [very important] with any of these rims would get you rock-solid set of wheels.
Old 02-09-07, 09:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have the 5.1ds. they are plenty strong. if you are dropping large and casing hard, then you need to look elsewhere. for normal trail riding with drops etc, this is a strong rim. fyi, from what i have heard it is a soft rim that dents rather than cracks. but im too much of a wuss to either dent or crack it.

from your list i would go with the hope pros with whatever rims you want. but if that wheelset is going to cost you 620 dollars, i suggest you fork up another 100 and go kings. not because of bling or engagement points (though the engagement is nice) or nothing, but simply because those suckers will last.
Old 02-10-07, 08:48 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Hopes are lighter than Kings and they're both completely serviceable so they'll both last.

Not that Hopes are better...just cheaper, lighter, and equally serviceable.

I found a place to do 'em for $510

Last edited by ed; 02-10-07 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-10-07, 09:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
really? Hopes are lighter then Kings, Oo I didn know that
Old 02-10-07, 09:22 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hope fr-188 rear-285=473
King fr-166 rear-308=474

Teehee...I thought there was more of a difference. One gram. I know I'd feel that one.
Old 02-10-07, 09:25 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well either way, the King build would be a little over $750.

Whereas the Hope build would be a little over $500.

I don't think Chris King is worth that. I have done quite a bit of research on the Hopes...they look nice.
Old 02-10-07, 09:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.....I see, so the best combination would be King Front and Hope Rear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.