Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

a (hopefully) new question about pistas

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

a (hopefully) new question about pistas

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a Pista if that what your into. If you want to make it "your own", re-wrap the bars and maybe put some nice tires on it. You don't really need any special tools to do that type of work and will provide a little expierence under your belt If you avoid getting a Bianchi based on what a bunch of bike clowns think, then your just as bad as them and don't deserve to own a nice bike like that.
Old 08-21-06, 01:24 PM
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK...maybe I'm an idiot, but what's so bad about the decals on bikes? I hardly see a Bowery or Pista that hasn't been stripped of it's identifying marks. Is there some stigma behind riding a branded bicycle or just certain brands?
Old 08-21-06, 01:47 PM
bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retem
I think the guys at bike biz told me they wee gunna have the fuji track on sale for 350 ish
thebikebiz.com
So I went to an LBS around here and looked at the Pista. They only had it in the Gang Green color and it just wasn't doing it for me. Turns out thebikebiz dropped the price on Fuji Tracks to 349.95. They only had three, a 52, 54, and 56, so I went ahead and ordered the 56. There was not tax so it came out to just under 400 shipped all the way from Sacramento to DC.

I'm fairly certain that if I don't like it I could sell it for what I paid on craigslist, so I went for it.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

If anybody wants a 52 or 54, I suggest ordering right away. Seems like a sweet deal.
Old 08-21-06, 01:52 PM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike biz is my lbs they are the only shop in sactown that knows anything bout track
Old 08-21-06, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kalani79
I went ahead and ordered the 56.
Of all the bikes you mentioned, the fuji unfortunately has the lowest quality components. The 1/8" DT is kinda nice though. Im not sure what year you went with as many lbs's are blowin fuji's out like whoa (just got a new track PRO frameset for $300). My point is the 06 had a rear wheel recall. My boy destroyed his hub in about 2 weeks. Hes rides hard. The bs that sold the bike compensated him with a deep v/surly for 50$ + his blown rear wheel.I have a few other friends in town with 06's, and theyve had no problems with the rear wheel; but theyre ummmmmmmm, fashionistas who cant ride to save their lives.
Old 08-21-06, 06:22 PM
bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. It's my first fixed gear so we'll see how hard I can ride it. It was just a good deal and chances are I'll want to be upgrading anyways.
Old 08-21-06, 06:46 PM
dutret has a posse

Bikes: IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
post recall fuji's from 06 seem to do well. babychris rides hard as **** and he hasnt had any problems yet. but when it came to the shop that ordered it for him, it came in two packages, one sans-rear wheel, the second (which came a day or two later) with the rear wheel. quite possible because of the recall. its a good first bike, plus at $350, its a deal. i still would have suggested waiting and taking some test rides on wednesday, but to each his own.
Old 08-21-06, 06:52 PM
bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I would have preferred to but there was only one bike at this price in my size so I went for it. The way things go on craigslist in DC I bet I could get what I paid for it.
Old 08-21-06, 07:36 PM
i am batman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you won't be dissapointed with your purchase. i feel like all the around 500 offerings for complete fixed gears are pretty much the same, and give you a good starting point. once you beat the **** out of it you can make it nicer.
Old 08-21-06, 07:47 PM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
All the cool guys buy them and spend a lot of money making 'em look nice, but not many folks actually work on the engine...
*wraps black electric tape around beer gut. sticks campy v-brakes in ridiculously oversized earlobes*

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 08-21-06, 07:57 PM
dutret has a posse

Bikes: IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Serendipper
*wraps black electric tape around beer gut. sticks campy v-brakes in ridiculously oversized earlobes*
OMG OMG OMG ROOFLEZ

PS- you missed your shift key you sick jerk.
Old 08-22-06, 01:11 PM
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a Pista because I could get one in a timely manner.
I put a front brake on it.

Now that I've ridden it for two years, I applaud Bianchi for its choice of components, the geometry, and the low cost.

I found that the headset wouldn't hold up to my weight, and lighter riders don't seem to have any problems with the headset.
I have also found that I prefer the quick handling of a track-type bike to that of the typical road bike, and no factory-assembled bike handles as quickly as a Pista.
Just look at the numbers.
Personal preference, but I think it and the bike does it, and I like it that way.

I have since replaced everything except the frame and fork because I had the money to do so, and I wanted a lighter and more reliable bike, and a perfect fit.
Light, strong and perfect costs money.
I see no way to improve upon the frame and fork.
If I had Mercian make a frameset for me, I would ask them to make it handle like my Pista.

I love my Pista.
I ride 15-30 miles per day, every day, all seasons and weather.
My bike flies like an F-16 fighter, but it did that right out of the box.
The Chick did a good job.
Old 08-22-06, 07:38 PM
theHappyA$$hole

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The Pista is so d*mn heavy, it is embarrassing. I have an older steel road bike that weighs less than a Pista.
Check out the Jamis sputnik. Light and more responsive. Way better built.

Old 08-22-06, 07:45 PM
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More responsive how?
Old 08-22-06, 07:53 PM
theHappyA$$hole

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It leans into and out of turns more easily. Quicker acceleration...since it is a solid 2-3 lbs lighter. I've ridden both..the Jamis is $200 some dollars more then the Pista but well worth it. Nice drop outs...with built in chain tensioners.