Old 08-03-07, 04:25 PM
discosaurus
i like mud

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX WSD, beaters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a girl and I ride a hybrid. I really like my Trek 7.2 FX. I ride every day, no epic distances, but I go everywhere--city streets, MUPs, winding suburban neighborhoods, crappy asphalt "bike paths," even sidewalks. I finally got the perfect fit adjustment dialed in, it's like a dream to ride.

Originally Posted by discosaurus
IF you insist on a new hybrid, the 7.2 is nice. I ride mine kind of rough--lots of curb hopping and bad pavement. I haven't had any problems because of it, but I'm small so ymmv. You might also appreciate that it's built more like a mountain bike than a comfort hybrid, and you can adjust the bars pretty low (but not much higher without replacing other hardware). I have my bars about level with the saddle, so it's a nice bent over position, but not squashed. The longest ride I've done on it so far is 17 miles, and it was comfortable all the way. It's nice and light, too, easy to haul up and down the stairs.

I don't know how big you are, or if you're a girl, but I got the 7.2 WSD which is awesome. It's not as awkwardly proportioned as other small frame bikes. I had to narrow the handlebars a bit, go one frame size down from what I thought I'd ride to get the seat/handlebar position I wanted, but otherwise perfect. Plus it's black and pink!
I rode a Giant Cypress for a while. It was nice at first, but I didn't really like it once I started getting in better shape and more confident on the road. I recently got a Trek 7.2 FX which I love. It's still a hybrid, but rides a little more like a MTB: lower bars, less upright position, and there is no suspension. They call it a "fitness" hybrid, which i guess is only to distinguish it from a "comfort" hybrid. It's faster, lighter, easier to ride, and more comfortable. And far less expensive than even an entry level road bike. The key is not expensive--it might be a nice ride until you make up your mind about exactly what you want in a road bike, or IF you want a road bike at all.
Ditto the paint comment. I have the 7.2FX for only a couple months and it's already scratched up and chipped like crazy.

It's fast, much faster than the other hybrid bikes I've ridden, and much lighter. Easy to haul up and down stairs in my apartment building, and on/off the trains. I'm not 100% sure about the brakes though, they seem a little slippery at times.

I have the girl's version--all black with pink, much hotter than the other colors.