Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Topeak or Axiom rear rack?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport, Gitane TdF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Hello,

I got a Haro Flightline Sport for Christmas, and was hoping to set it up as a durable commuter. I changed the stem to a Salsa that's still MTB capable even though it's a different angle than the stock stem, and also put skinnier, smoother tires on.

Problem is getting a rack. I really thought I'd be able to source on locally, but so far, no. The bike has a rear disc brake, which keeps the average rack from being used. I have to carry a heavy pack with a laptop and school books. It's possible to carry it on my back, but it's quite heavy and really saps my wind when riding uphill.

So, I'm looking for a rack, and it doesn't look like there are but two companies that make them for a rear disc bike. One is Topeak, and the other is Axiom.

Does either of them have an advantage over the other? Not sure if there's all that big of a price difference. For the time being anyway, I'd just be bungeeing my pack to the rack, the way I do now on my old Schwinn. My u-lock gets fastened to the rack as well.

Thank you,
-Bill
Old 03-25-08, 08:51 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the Topeak for a few years now. Cheap and durable. Simple genius, really.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 03-25-08, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used the disc brake version of the Topeak Explorer for several years now, and I can testify that it is durable and practical. In the touring forum, one Bike Forums member who posted continuously during a tour from Alaska to Central America rode a Cannondale disc brake-equipped touring bike with the Topeak Explorer rack, and others here in the commuting forum have recommended it as well.
The Axiom rack looks pretty kludgey to me, although I admit to never having used one so I can't be too critical.
Old 03-25-08, 10:57 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's one great advantage to the Topeak racks -- you can buy one of the matching Topeak trunk bags, which have plastic tracks on the bottom that slide into rails on the rack and snap into place. It's just a one-button spring-loaded quick-release to pop the bags on and off. It's a pretty slick system. Other than this advantage, the racks themselves are similar quality. If I wasn't going to use the Topeak bag, I'd probably choose the Axiom.
Old 03-26-08, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a non-disc Topeak rack (one of those compatible with Topeak trunks). It seems well-made; if I were digging for a gripe, I'd just say that the tubing is at the maximum thickness that would work well with the specific pannier I'm using. That's it. I sometimes load up the rack fairly heavily (by commuting standards) and I have never seen any indication the rack was flexing or under undue stress.

EDIT: Oh, the paint is rubbing off in spots. I don't know that there's any way to avoid that other than shielding friction points with tape.
Old 03-26-08, 10:48 PM

Looks like REI sells the Topeak. I'm not having any luck finding an online retailer that sells the Axiom. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Bill
Old 03-27-08, 08:49 AM
I am not a car

Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Surly Ogre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Axiom Disc rack and have been using it on my daily commute for about 3 years. My LBS ordered it for me (I think they used Quality Bike) and I installed it. About a year ago the short aluminum rod that extended over the disc caliper broke, but I was able to easily fabricate a replacement from a steel rod (from Home Depot). Aside from that one item, the rack as been rock-solid. Recommended.

Here is a link to a on-line source: https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=RK6620
Old 03-28-08, 06:30 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Axiom Disc rack. I have not toured with it yet, but have commuted with it for 2 years with no problems at all. I just built a Cross-Check (non-disc) and put the Axiom rack on it. I figured why buy a new one when this one has treated me good. I think it is a quality piece. I cant comment on the Topeak rack as I have never used one, but I have a few Topeak accessories and they have always held up well.

Paul B
Old 03-28-08, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Axiom Racks
Old 03-28-08, 10:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Man Mountain also makes disc compatible racks, but they are at least 2x more than the two you listed. I don't have experience with any, but I'm looking myself.
Old 03-28-08, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I don't have disc brakes, but I'll echo what savethekudzu said: Topeak is really handy if you're going to be using their bags, but if you have other bags in mind, I wouldn't get a Topeak rack. My my Topeak trunk is all I need, it's very convenient. But there are a few situations where I don't want to use the trunk, or want to use other items in addition to the Topeak trunk, and then I'm not as crazy about it. Plus I worry when strapping other miscellaneous items on to the rack that I might inadvertently damage the track that holds the trunk in place and take away the one major advantage of the Topeak rack. If I were to buy another rack, I'd probably go with the versatility of a more standard design than the convenience of Topeak's proprietary connection system.
Old 03-28-08, 09:12 PM

Well, I've ordered the Topeak, but am tempted to order the other one as well to see which one works best for what I'm trying to do. The Topeak bags have some appeal, but I won't be getting one till Christmas, if even then. I want something I can strap my backpack to when I ride to school. I ordered a cargo net as well. It's hard not to think that the Axiom rack is less expensive, but the Topeak might be the long-term best choice.
Old 03-29-08, 01:51 PM
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Topeak Explorer and have been very happy with it. I do not have the disc model, but here is a link to take a look> https://tinyurl.com/yvpymf
Old 03-29-08, 07:09 PM

Bikes: Surly 1x1 with Nexux 8 "Red line"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Axiom racks are excellent. I don't know how they do for touring (will know this summer), but I know that they are excellent for commuting.
Old 03-30-08, 02:39 PM
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote is for the Topeak Explorer Disc. I own two of them and love them.