Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Sweat & Salt Residue - What does it mean?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 12:36 PM
CAT 2 wanna be

Bikes: 2011 Fuji SL1.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I searched and can't really find anything to answer my question. I'm not sure if this is good, bad or neither. I would say that I sweat quite a bit more than the average person. Well after a hard ride, my face is covered with salt, white residue. And it is quite noticable. Before washing the chin strap to my helmet I can scrape salt off it with my fingernail. Does this say anything about my nutrition? Am I eating too much salt or what?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-05, 12:52 PM
Omega Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine found the same thing, salt residue on his face, when running a marathon this year. Turned out he was drinking too much water, but I'm vague on the science of how that made more salt come out of him. I have salt marks on my clothes, camelbak straps, helmet straps etc after a long ride in summer, but to have a white residue on your face does sound extreme.
Old 05-11-05, 12:56 PM

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope this is not bad, as it happens to me all the time. I always just figured that sweat contains traces of salt, as it evaporates while you run or cycle, it leaves behind the salt.
Old 05-11-05, 12:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a write up on this the other day on the net so do a search. It may be you're drinking too much or too much salt. There was to be check stations along the Boston Mar. to check for this. Sorry I can't remember more.

Joe
Old 05-11-05, 01:07 PM

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting question!

So I googled... https://www.triathletemag.com/story.c...92&pageID=1705

I wondered about quanities of sodium and other electrolytes. It appears that sodium is lost through sweat a great deal more than the other 'lytes.

EDIT: a key point is that excessive sweating and/or salt residue isn't necessarily a bad thing -- see your doctor if you're concerned -- but being aware and replenishing is good.
Old 05-11-05, 01:14 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 4,176 Times in 2,058 Posts
Some people lose more sodium when they sweat than others. If you train in the heat, your body gets better at retaining electrolytes.

The only thing to watch out for is not to run out of electrolytes on a long ride. I've seen riders whose shorts were stained with salt, and they always seem to have trouble with muscle cramping. If you're of the salty type, remember to consume salt during a ride. Most sports drinks have salt in them, and you can carry salt supplements. I carry Endurolytes on long and hot rides.

Old 05-11-05, 03:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a book on cycling nutrition that I have, forgot the author's name (Rafort?)... anyway, he said (and he's an M.D.) that under extreme conditions you can lose 1,000 mg of sodium per hour. That's why you get "crusty". You literally have grams of salt crusting your skin & clothes.

Sports drinks generally have small amounts of sodium... 75 - 100 mg per 8 oz serving. So to replenish 1,000 mg of lost sodium, you'd need to drink 80 oz of Gatorade per hour? Uh-uh, ain't going to happen, you can't take more than 32 oz per hour.

If you really get into some sodium losses, you are going to have to majorly replenish with some fluid or food that has 100s of mg of sodium per serving... tomato juice, V-8 juice, pickles, etc.

I think Endurolytes have 100 mg sodium per cap.
Old 05-12-05, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're concerned, go see a doctor about it. If you're not having a problem, but just are curious about it, then I probably wouldn't worry too much. When I get back from a long ride my dog can't stop licking me because I am very salty. I can't actually see crystals, but it's there nonetheless. If you sweat more than an average person, I would expect what you are describing. Just make sure you are drinking enough.
Old 05-12-05, 02:12 PM
Hills, more hills please!

Bikes: Spectrum, Lippy, Litespeed, Titus, Kelly, Marin, Bob Jackson, Mercian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband always has white salt crust all over after a ride on a hot day. Then, he starting having problems with cramps. Put him on Endurolytes capsules and poof! No cramps. Gave some to a friend a few weeks ago who was starting to cramp on a ride. Fixed the problem in about 15 mins.
Old 05-12-05, 02:26 PM

Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Racing stripes on my Chamois, what does it mean?
Old 05-12-05, 03:27 PM
rider X

Bikes: cannondale H300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
Racing stripes on my Chamois, what does it mean?
this thread is about SALT... not your skid marks!
Old 05-13-05, 05:30 AM
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's no biggie - and not indicative. If it is a hot, humid day everyone sweats more and things can get pretty crusty. And some people just plain sweat more.
Old 05-13-05, 11:22 AM
You need a new bike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There is nothing to be concered about. You sweat proportionally to the amount of exertion, the temperature, and humidity level. The white residue is primarily salt that is a component of sweat. When you do a long ride, much of the perspiration evaporates in the wind leaving the salt behind.

The salt in your perspiration is the reason that salt is added to sports drinks.
Old 10-06-09, 02:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To all of you that sweat a lot (like me) you don't have to be too concerned but you should be aware, because it can kill you!
It's called hyponatremia (Low sodium), google it, marathon runners die from it. Symptoms often get confused with dehidration and more water is given which makes it worse.

To be clear, sweating a lot is not the problem, it's drinking too much water or sports drink with not enough sodium (salt).

Look at this article:
Hyponatremia - Water Intoxication - The danger of too much water
https://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/h...ponatremia.htm

or this one:

https://www.ultracycling.com/nutritio...natremia2.html

"As little as 2% dehydration adversely affects performance[1]. But as little as 2% overhydration can cause life-threatening hyponatremia"
Old 10-06-09, 07:24 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Liked 89 Times in 68 Posts
Maybe that's why water alone in those bottles does not do much. Since riding is an exercise, there's a lot of replenishing going on.

I often hear that some riders carry two bottles with one just water. To me, that does not make much sense.
Old 10-06-09, 11:07 AM
Dirt Bomb

Liked 334 Times in 272 Posts
I have never seen another person who sweats more than I do. I will have white marks on my clothes after the sweat dries, but I've never seen salt residue on my skin.
I don't think this residue thing is a function of the amount a person sweats. I think it's the saltyness of a person's sweat that is the issue.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by sknhgy; 10-06-09 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 12:22 PM

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Maybe that's why water alone in those bottles does not do much. Since riding is an exercise, there's a lot of replenishing going on.

I often hear that some riders carry two bottles with one just water. To me, that does not make much sense.
The purpose of drinking water is to replenish the fluid lost during sweating. It helps keep you cool. Any ride where you are only drinking 2 bottles of water is unlikely to cause your Sodium levels to drop to a dangerous level regardless of what you put in your bottles. So it's just a personal preference.
Old 10-08-09, 02:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On long rides, or really hot days 90+ degF, I have one 24 oz bottle with water and another with sport drink. If you use the powder it's really cheap. I occasionally sip on the gatorate to replenish lost electrolytes and it has a little sugar in it for fuel. Generally, the straight water is more satisfying to sip on. After hot rides my helmet strap is caked up with salt. This is normal. If this stops after heavy sweating, then you have problem.
Old 10-08-09, 11:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I have never seen another person who sweats more than I do.
Ride with me sometime. I was known for leaving pools of sweat during military exercises. All of my gear had/has salt stains. I had to put TT bottle holders on my bike so I can carry 4 full-sized water bottles. I need to drink 2 full bottles an hour in moderate heat.

I've always gotten headaches from electrolyte loss and drank Gatorade by the gallon. The Hammer capsules don't have enough for me so I use the S!Caps. Finally no more headaches.

Listen to your body. It will tell you what you need.
Old 10-18-09, 10:17 AM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I have never seen another person who sweats more than I do. I will have white marks on my clothes after the sweat dries, but I've never seen salt residue on my skin.
I don't think this residue thing is a function of the amount a person sweats. I think it's the saltyness of a person's sweat that is the issue.
Just my opinion.
I also sweat a lot. On a real hot day I've lost 8 lbs on a 2 hour ride, in spite of drinking 5+ lb of water.

On the residue thing, it's about the amount of salt, could be lots of dilute sweat or less sweat at higher salt concentration. That salt does need to be replaced. If you are drinking water, it is highly unlikely you are getting too much salt.

Being cheap, I make my own electrolyte drink to keep the cramps away: lite salt (a mix of potassium & sodium salts) + Kool-Aid & sugar for taste and a little extra energy.
Old 10-18-09, 09:21 PM

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think it's a big deal. I get salty crust on my face and hlmet straps after almost every ride and I'm still here.
Old 10-19-09, 08:42 AM
811ORV

Bikes: felt f25r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stop eating salt and products that contain it, its poison and your clearly over indulging if its coming out your pores...
Old 10-19-09, 11:05 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some things to consider

First off, everyone will have virtually the same levels of salt in their blood. You do not sweat out the excess in your diet. You excrete it in your urine.

Secondly, some people sweat more than others. I am quite comfortable in pretty low temperatures. In warmer weather I sweat profusely.

Generally, I sweat so much that I do not get the salt residue you mention. The sweat flows off. On rides in warmer weather, I just drink a bunch of water to avoid dehydration.

But when I lived in MI and rode on cold days, the sweat used to dry on my face. I used to get home and there was this "grit" on my face. I figured out that it was not a "grit" at all, it was just dried sweat.

Even with my sweating, my sodium levels are fine and I do not eat excessive amounts of it.
Old 10-19-09, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont know about you but when i sweat that much, i feel damn good about myself.
Old 10-19-09, 01:34 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by hemprider
Stop eating salt and products that contain it, its poison and your clearly over indulging if its coming out your pores...
I discussed this concern with my MD. He suggested more salt, especially while riding for two hours or more.

Telling endurance athletes to stop consuming salt is silly.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.