View Single Post
Old 04-06-03, 05:47 AM
fietser_ivana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, no.. I live in the Netherlands, but since I started cycling longer distances that are longer than 20km I don't like the paths anymore. They are OK for locals. But once you're not local, you invariably get lost and extremely frustrated.
It's suicidal to ride on them in big packs as I occasionally do during weekend rides.. they are far, far, far more dangerous than riding on the road.

The NLs was coincidentally the only country in Europe where cyclists did NOT have the right of way when coming from the right.
BTW, I was amazed at how slavishly cyclists in the USA adhere to actually stopping at STOP signs rather than slowing down and be prepared to stop immediately in case of necessity. BTW, I've lived in Philly for 6 months, but was bike-less.. felt entirely miserable. Interestingly, I did cycle in Philly in 2000 and didn't feel it was unsafe.. NYC is quite OK too, but Miami and less so, LA were horrific... even Sao Paulo and Mexico City were not as bad as Miami where too many ass-holes live (read: ultra-conservative Cubans)

Ivana , who admires the champion of vehicular/effective cycling : John Forester = same rights, same rules for cyclists ..