Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Roof rack reco

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Roof rack reco

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-24, 02:16 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,457 Times in 2,562 Posts
Roof rack reco

Just got a used Corolla hatchback with factory racks, like this:

I want to get a pair of roof racks for my Krampus (large, rigid, 29x3 tires), and my wife's MTB (niner air with 29x2.something, probably any bike rack would work).

The racks on the car are pretty aero, maybe 3-4 inches long and 1 inch tall.

Any recommendations on big-name (Thule/Yakima) roof racks that will work or not work with a Krampus?

Any cheap-brand racks that are sturdy and reliable and convenient?
Old 05-03-24, 03:48 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,342 Posts
The old way to figure this out would be to go to a retailer who stocks roof racks and try to match up your car's rack rails/bars with a known brand's. That way you could use that brand's bike mounts or even just the cross bar/rail clamps and then make your own bike mount with a fork clamp.

My quick search for Thule shows a few options for roof racks for your potential car (unsure of even the year) and possible bike mount (listing a 29x3 tire capacity). Good luck. Andy
Old 05-03-24, 03:53 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,528 Posts
While roof racks are fine and very convenient, keep in mind that bicycle windage is murder on your fuel consumption. So if you're planning a long trip, you might do better with the bikes inside, or on a rear rack of some kind.

Also, learn to note and read overhead clearance signs. Can't count the number of people I know that wrecked their bikes on the roof, usually when using indoor public parking, but also driving into their own garages.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-03-24, 04:20 PM
Keepin it Wheel

I did that once (there might even be a post on BF with pics)

I've long wondered, why do all bicycle roof racks have bikes standing straight up, as tall as possible?

It would be great if there were a system where the bike wheels could be strapped into a tray, and then leaned over sideways, and another tray would have a rigid bar that holds the frame by a tube

Prior art: if I 'invented' that and were to market it, it be called The Pythagoras (TM) bike rack
Old 05-03-24, 04:34 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 893 Posts
If you get too many side G's, does the rack detach or the car tip over?
Old 05-03-24, 04:48 PM
Keepin it Wheel

?? I sure hope not. How many side G's can a non F1 driver generate?
Old 05-03-24, 05:09 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 893 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Haven't you watched police chase videos? Any idiot can roll a car.

My point is that's a lot of weight (2 semi fat tired bikes) on a small car.
You may be better served by a rear mount rack.
Old 05-03-24, 05:43 PM
Keepin it Wheel

I have not watched police chase videos, and I have hard time believe even a compact car could be rolled on a turn because of an extra 70lb on the roof
Old 05-03-24, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,342 Posts
I prefer roof racks for a few reasons but that wasn't the OP's question.

I have a few gas mileage references. A VW Rabbit would get near 31mpg bare topped and almost 26ish with a load of two bikes given the same route and general driving style. My mid 90's Saab got about the same no roof rack mileage but only 3 or 4 mpg less with two bikes on top. My current GTI gets about 34ish during the winter (no rack but 4 snows) on highways and 28+ in the riding season with summer rubber on and bikes on top.

All the arguments, pro and con, are value, easy of use and risk management ones and we all will see differently on them. Andy
Old 05-03-24, 07:58 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3302 Post(s)
Liked 2,138 Times in 1,208 Posts
I use a Yakima Front loader. It’s designed to carry the entire bike with the front wheel on. The clamp attaches to the front wheels, the rear wheel has a strap, it’s very secure. I don’t pay attention to gas mileage as I’m usually also carrying a kayak. I have the old Thule system where the front axle quick release clamps, but most of my bikes are now thru axle and no longer use that design.
Old 05-03-24, 08:12 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,528 Posts
It doesn't matter. The weight involved is too low to fret over.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-03-24, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 377 Posts
I did that once (there might even be a post on BF with pics)

I've long wondered, why do all bicycle roof racks have bikes standing straight up, as tall as possible?

It would be great if there were a system where the bike wheels could be strapped into a tray, and then leaned over sideways, and another tray would have a rigid bar that holds the frame by a tube

Prior art: if I 'invented' that and were to market it, it be called The Pythagoras (TM) bike rack
Loading the bike would be harder. However, they make solutions to this now with kayak racks (for at least 10 years now I think). They operate similar to pro ladder racks; A loading platform lowers to the side of the car via linkages, parallel with the windows. You load the ladder/kayak/bike. The platform is partically counterbalanced. You lift the (mostly vertical) platform and it transitions to horizontal on top of the roof. There's some sort of latch that holds the platform in place. To adapt such to a bike, my guess would be it just needs some padded saddles to hold the frame tubes, possibly also a wheel tray to load the bike into and hold it while you strap/unstrap the saddles. Or a big rectangular tray, that also doubles as the bottom of a big cargo box when you attach the hinged lid.
Old 05-04-24, 01:38 AM

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 64 Posts
https://www.etrailer.com

They have about every rack ever made, including some vintage ones. They are also pretty helpful.
Old 05-04-24, 08:52 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I prefer roof racks for a few reasons but that wasn't the OP's question.

I have a few gas mileage references. A VW Rabbit would get near 31mpg bare topped and almost 26ish with a load of two bikes given the same route and general driving style. My mid 90's Saab got about the same no roof rack mileage but only 3 or 4 mpg less with two bikes on top. My current GTI gets about 34ish during the winter (no rack but 4 snows) on highways and 28+ in the riding season with summer rubber on and bikes on top.

All the arguments, pro and con, are value, easy of use and risk management ones and we all will see differently on them. Andy
Thanks, those MPG details are interesting
Old 05-04-24, 08:54 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I use a Yakima Front loader. It’s designed to carry the entire bike with the front wheel on. The clamp attaches to the front wheels, the rear wheel has a strap, it’s very secure. I don’t pay attention to gas mileage as I’m usually also carrying a kayak. I have the old Thule system where the front axle quick release clamps, but most of my bikes are now thru axle and no longer use that design.
I also want a solution that keeps the wheels on. The yakima page says "Fits 20” to 27.5” wheels with tire widths up to 3” and 29" wheels with tires widths up to 2.7"" -- are they just being conservative, or would my 29x3 Krampus really not work?
Old 05-04-24, 08:55 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
https://www.etrailer.com

They have about every rack ever made, including some vintage ones. They are also pretty helpful.
I have bought from etrailer before, back when I wanted to put a hitch on a minivan (when the kids were small and we had minivans). I liked them, and once I figure out what roofrack to get, may well buy from them
Old 05-04-24, 09:06 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

I also want a solution that keeps the wheels on. The yakima page says "Fits 20” to 27.5” wheels with tire widths up to 3” and 29" wheels with tires widths up to 2.7"" -- are they just being conservative, or would my 29x3 Krampus really not work?
Anybody's guess of the 3" will fit. You would need to find a shop or REI where it's in stock, open it up and try it. You really only need to ascertain if the front 3" wheel will fit the Ubar
Old 05-04-24, 09:22 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Or maybe if I write a post on BikeForums, somebody with experience with plus-bikes and roofracks will turn up and chime in with information.

I should try that
Old 05-04-24, 10:48 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,052 Times in 1,952 Posts
Idk what the fat tire bikes or E bikes use [if they even use roof racks] , but I'd try finding those brands & read up on those reviews.
Old 05-04-24, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 451 Posts
Kuat Trio might be a good option, unless having to remove the front wheel is a deal breaker.
Old 05-04-24, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 115 Posts
I have not watched police chase videos, and I have hard time believe even a compact car could be rolled on a turn because of an extra 70lb on the roof
probably not enough to roll the car, but two bikes on the roof will perceptibly increase roll on corners.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 05-04-24, 01:05 PM
Keepin it Wheel

OK, if I perceive that, that perception will cause me to corner more conservatively. I am an Old Man (TM), not a testosterone-filled nascar wannabe young buck
Old 05-04-24, 01:07 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by bboy314
Kuat Trio might be a good option, unless having to remove the front wheel is a deal breaker.
That looks well designed, but yeah the hatchback volume is so small, having to put two 29er front wheels in there would basically fill it up.

The Piston SR looks really great (and says up to 5" tires), but $500 is really spendy!

Last edited by RubeRad; 05-04-24 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-04-24, 09:45 PM

That looks well designed, but yeah the hatchback volume is so small, having to put two 29er front wheels in there would basically fill it up.

The Piston SR looks really great (and says up to 5" tires), but $500 is really spendy!
Well, get used to spending. Yak and Thule gear is pricy, but well designed. So is 1UPUSA and Kuat.
Old 05-05-24, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 451 Posts
Have you considered a hitch rack? That car looks pretty low to the ground, but there are hitch risers to give the rack a bit more clearance, and tray style hitch racks are more convenient to use than roof racks in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.