Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody care about secrecy on your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-24, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Or people asking what is your ETA time, i.e., estimated time of arrival time.

I do not know why all policemen and reporters have to say "he was driving at a high rate of speed." Speed is distance over time, and thus already a rate.
I was about to 'reply back' to your second point, then thought better of it.
Likes For badger1:
Old 05-04-24, 01:52 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4438 Post(s)
Liked 4,090 Times in 2,728 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Steely Dan is Real-y Dan
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-04-24, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
To the OP - this is incorrect, there is no secrecy. From the radioactive isotopes dropped via chem trails from high altitudes used to track you to the microscopic RF tracker put into our Covid and flu shots, there is no escape from government.

They are watching.
Aha! I knew it! That's why THEY won't let us go to Antartica....
Old 05-04-24, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by rebel1916
I'm not cycling, I'm traveling
LOL. What's your fee schedule?...
Old 05-04-24, 06:35 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
No to the OP. But then I've got other pursuits in life so don't fixate on my bike/cycling.
Old 05-04-24, 06:38 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked 5,786 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
And taking pictures of their restaurant meals.

Todays’ “Restaurant Lunch”

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-04-24, 06:42 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked 5,786 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The OP appears to have gone underground. No posts anywhere on Bike Forums since the first one in this thread.
He obviously has gone dark so he can’t be found.

Old 05-04-24, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by Lambkin55
I escaped from the Illinois Department of Corrections in 2004.
By riding bike, left in a prearranged hiding place, I was able to get out of the county before they even started looking for me.
It has been 20 years now with no police interactions in my life because I live a bicycle only life!
---SO--- I do indeed enjoy the secrecy of my bike!!!!!
What's your Strava?
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-04-24, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18495 Post(s)
Liked 15,802 Times in 7,421 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
He obviously has gone dark so he can’t be found.
Or maybe he was disappeared by the shadow government.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-05-24, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 303 Posts
I don't have to worry. I cut the chip out of my butt and taped it to the back of an interstate semi. The Master Chief inspired me.
Old 05-05-24, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
The Master Chief inspired me.
LOL. There is a reason we call it the Chiefs' Mess....
Beat Army!
Old 05-05-24, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
LOL. What's your fee schedule?...
I do not consent to joinder. GET ME A SHERIFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Old 05-05-24, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I believe you are referring to the solitude and peace and quiet while on a ride. My rides are Zen like experiences.
First one in 25 posts to get it.
Miles from nowhere, no strings attached.
Old 05-05-24, 08:40 PM
apo

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not doing anything nefarious on my rides and I don't care about secrecy per se... but I like the simplicity of bikes. It's so much easier to just get around because there are more options (road, bikepath, dirt trail, field/forest shortcut, etc. etc.).
Old 05-05-24, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 377 Posts
My phone is with me on rides but location is always off unless needed.

My driver's license and credit card are both in foil-backed paper sleeves that are designed for RFID shielding.

If reporters are filming video on the street, I avoid getting in shot.

I never post face pics on here or anywhere else online.

I stopped using credit card for nearly all purchases locally 10 years ago, due to known tracking.

My discount card for the grocery store is under a fake name.

I pay cash for meds; Pharmacies and medical are covered under HIPAA, credit card records are not.

My medical files at my doctors are on "lockdown", someone needs to "break the glass" to access, which is recorded.

I have my credit locked down at all three credit agencies, making it impossible for someone to open credit in my name.

I use Duck Duck Go as a browser.

I don't use Facebook.

I don't allow others to post info or pics of me on Facebook.

I use TOR when needed.

I "opt out".

I don't give to causes (such as political candidates) via credit card, I always mail them a check.

I don't open more credit cards than I need, no matter how much they offer me to do so ($250 for Chase, $100 for REI, etc). There's a reason they are willing to pay for that.

I don't give my social security number at dentist and medical when they ask; I inform them that under federal law they cannot demand that, and they stop asking.

"His checks bounce because his signature varies. He's a class act." - Joe Cutter, Hopscotch (1980)
Old 05-05-24, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 759 Posts
Old 05-05-24, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Or people asking what is your ETA time, i.e., estimated time of arrival time.

I do not know why all policemen and reporters have to say "he was driving at a high rate of speed." Speed is distance over time, and thus already a rate.
Yeah that always irked me, repetitively redundant. So is "heat transfer".
Old 05-06-24, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
My phone is with me on rides but location is always off unless needed.

My driver's license and credit card are both in foil-backed paper sleeves that are designed for RFID shielding.

If reporters are filming video on the street, I avoid getting in shot.

I never post face pics on here or anywhere else online.

I stopped using credit card for nearly all purchases locally 10 years ago, due to known tracking.

My discount card for the grocery store is under a fake name.

I pay cash for meds; Pharmacies and medical are covered under HIPAA, credit card records are not.

My medical files at my doctors are on "lockdown", someone needs to "break the glass" to access, which is recorded.

I have my credit locked down at all three credit agencies, making it impossible for someone to open credit in my name.

I use Duck Duck Go as a browser.

I don't use Facebook.

I don't allow others to post info or pics of me on Facebook.

I use TOR when needed.

I "opt out".

I don't give to causes (such as political candidates) via credit card, I always mail them a check.

I don't open more credit cards than I need, no matter how much they offer me to do so ($250 for Chase, $100 for REI, etc). There's a reason they are willing to pay for that.

I don't give my social security number at dentist and medical when they ask; I inform them that under federal law they cannot demand that, and they stop asking.

"His checks bounce because his signature varies. He's a class act." - Joe Cutter, Hopscotch (1980)
Looks like OP abandoned their old account but is still active in the thread. Rejoice!
Likes For hidetaka:
Old 05-06-24, 05:47 AM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 438 Posts
Sure. It's one of the few things that hasn't yet been completely corrupted to the "internet of things / tracking" thinking that's all the rage. So, in that sense, I do care.

Still, with the grossly increasing costs of such products it's heartening to know that at least some of the components have serial numbers. Not that having any of it "registered" really does me good ... until it's stolen and later recovered. Though, the whole time, "registered" or not, I've got the receipts and have documented the numbers, and thus I can prove I'm the owner, even if I only supply a partial along with photos and contact info to the numerous bike shops in my area. Not that it's the business of a shop to double-check lists against every used bike that comes through the shop for servicing.

For those who don't care about doing that sort of thing, I suppose registering the number ahead of time with "the authorities" is the typical thing to do. (Beyond whatever ordinances/laws might require be done.)

In the end, it probably doesn't make all that much difference. Such a great portion of so-called "modern" life is corrupted beyond repair with such tracking, tracing, documenting of a person's business and goings-on. About the only way to avoid the mess involving a bike is to buy with cash, never take a tracking device along on rides, buy all components and add-ons with cash, and to never "register" the thing with gov't, something increasingly harder to do as the prices go up on new equipment.
Old 05-06-24, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 5,002 Times in 3,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Such a great portion of so-called "modern" life is corrupted beyond repair with such tracking, tracing, documenting of a person's business and goings-on.
It’s only an issue if you choose to make it an issue. Using the word “corrupted” is a bit harsh since a lot of it is actually quite beneficial. Having lived my adult life both pre and post internet I would say on balance the latter is better, but that is a personal judgement.

Corruption certainly pre-dates the internet and you might note that the most corrupt of government regimes actively restrict public internet access and content.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-06-24, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I would like to know how you got a picture of our galaxy?
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 05-06-24, 07:06 AM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s only an issue if you choose to make it an issue. Using the word “corrupted” is a bit harsh since ...
"Corruption" speaks strictly to the abuses of such tech, abuses of such documenting by "the authorities." Worsened with the ubiquity of GPS and such connectivity, even when it isn't strictly needed.

And the issue doesn't come from us. It comes from the devices and the people who'd leverage such ubiquity against us. In short, it's not us "making it an issue." It's the issue being made upon those targeted, tracked.

Is what it is. AKA, the "modern" world. Irrespective of the benefits of such abilities.

That said, it's simple enough to not participiate with such devices via not acquiring them, not using them on journeys, not "registering" things or signing-up for things where tracking/analyzing our goings-on are specifically "authorized" by such. Like the OP suggested, a bicycle's one of those things that is fairly simple, fairly inexpensive (if pre-owned), easily acquired/sold with cash, easily operated without registration, documentation or tracking/GPS/cell.
Old 05-06-24, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 5,002 Times in 3,092 Posts
And the issue doesn't come from us. It comes from the devices and the people who'd leverage such ubiquity against us. In short, it's not us "making it an issue." It's the issue being made upon those targeted, tracked.

That said, it's simple enough to not participiate with such devices via not acquiring them, not using them on journeys, not "registering" things or signing-up for things where tracking/analyzing our goings-on are specifically "authorized" by such.
So what do you think the “tracking and analysis” implications are for me using a Garmin GPS to track my bike rides? So far I haven’t noticed anything sinister about it and there are certainly some personal benefits, which is why I have one.
Old 05-06-24, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3989 Post(s)
Liked 7,448 Times in 2,997 Posts
About the only way to avoid the mess involving a bike is to buy with cash, never take a tracking device along on rides, buy all components and add-ons with cash, and to never "register" the thing with gov't, something increasingly harder to do as the prices go up on new equipment.
How could it possible make any difference if I pay for a bottle cage with a credit card instead of cash?
Old 05-06-24, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7075 Post(s)
Liked 11,154 Times in 4,763 Posts
The people who believe the government is tracking them usually seem to be the people in whom the government would be least interested.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.